Yellow-headed amazon mating/hormonal changes?

Kaytlynn

Jan 14, 2012
Washington
Parrots
Yellow-headed Amazon
Hey everyone. I am a brand-spankin new Amazon owner. I found out just a little bit ago that my amazon is a female (She's been trying to mate) I've noticed that she's being snappy lately. As if we've taken two steps back and she's back to her "new bird, new home, i'm stressed" ways. Is this normal? What are some changes I can expect from my girl and how often will she go through these hormonal stages? ANY information is helpful, I feel so lost and unsure of what to do with her. Thanks guys!

:greenyellow:

Mitchell

Jan 11, 2012
Houston Texas
Parrots
Baby Vosmaeri Eclectus (hatched 9-11-11)
If she's hormonal just leave her be for a while and she'll be back to normal in couple weeks or so. She can't help it, so just give her that time and she should be fine.

Tammy

May 4, 2011
Pennsylvania
Parrots
Orange Wing Amazon
My Amazon started that in the summer & now again in late December. Normal hormonal crazy Amazon behavior. Frustrating as heck but should end soon. The other members on this board suggested to me many tips that helped. 1) Put bird to bed earlier. 2) Decrease handling time when behavior starts. When my OWA starts with the lunges and squawks he goes right back to his playstand.

I actually clipped his wings for the first time as he was flying after everyone but me to attack. There are many experts on here who can help way more than myself. You've gotta love the Amazon attitude!

ann

Feb 18, 2011
USA
Parrots
1 nanday conure Black Jack, 1 Brotogeris parakeet Whiff, 1 ring neck dove Eliza, and 6 society finches (3 are tame). RIP my parent pairs of societies and my little gouldian finches
You mentioned that she tried to mate, if it's with a toy I would get rid of the toy. Also don't allow her in small dark spaces or happy huts because she may view them as nesting sites and avoid petting her down her back because it can also cause hormonal behavior. Also if she trys to breed with you remove her immediately and place her on a play stand, same goes for if she tries to regurgitate. Dont worry it will pass soon. Good luck and hoped I helped :)

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
Well, I don't take away the toy they are mating with. I just let them do it. I think they would just choose another anyway. I look at it from the standpoint that they are adult animals with needs. Let them take care of their needs and afterwards they are happier it seems.

Most Reactions