Yellowsided but has orange shoulders?

Conurebreeder

Dec 17, 2012
My local petshop has a "yellow sided" for $330.00 but it has bright orange sun conure colored shoulders.. anyone know what it could be?
also, am I wrong to ask to disease test before I bring another conure home?
I noticed a few finches with pecked out eyes and masses on the head... so I might not even bring a bird home unless I can do an environmental test and disease test

thermodynamic

Apr 13, 2012
Stillwater, MN
Parrots
Rosie = Rescued Pineapple GCC,
Rusty = bought Cinnamon GCC,
Scooter = bought Normal GCC,
Tybbi MacGuyver = Rescued Blue Crown Conure
My local petshop has a "yellow sided" for $330.00 but it has bright orange sun conure colored shoulders.. anyone know what it could be?
also, am I wrong to ask to disease test before I bring another conure home?
I noticed a few finches with pecked out eyes and masses on the head... so I might not even bring a bird home unless I can do an environmental test and disease test

No clue on the bird's type; even a web image search revealed nothing I could find relating to your description - with luck others will have a proper answer, and I'm curious to know as well.

Pecked out eyes?! How small are those finch cages?! Man, that is horrible...

Reading that, definitely ask for a disease test to be done. Have the store pay for it if possible, but chances are management will say 'no' and wait for some rube to pawn it off onto. :(

Getting any potential new pet tested is always a good idea, especially for parrots as they can spread disease quickly... when I adopted Tybbi (abandoned in a pet store's bathroom), I got her to the vet ASAP. She was fine (only malnourished), but you never know...

Not all stores are that bad, but... wow... yours sounds like a real basket case and not in a good way.

OP
C

Conurebreeder

Dec 17, 2012
everything is very overfilled. too many pets in tiny cages.
im all for small town shops but it is a little ridiculous.
g1OYZoy.jpg

this is the orange winged yellow sided conure

happycat

Mar 9, 2012
Virginia, U.S.
Parrots
Kakariki (Kirby) Cockatiel (Shiro) Jenday Conure (Jojo)
I think there Is a conure called "red shouldered" or something near that, maybe it is similar? Sorry, not an expert

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
Sometimes pet shops have birds mislabeled, I've seen maroon bellies labeled as green cheek conures, and another time at petco they had a blue crowned conure labeled as a blue headed pionus.

Could be this type of bird
images

It's called the Fiery-shouldered Conure, or the Demerara Conure

Thingamagigs

Oct 13, 2012
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Parrots
Mana the manic female galah; yet to be named male corella
Hey MonicaMC, if you go to the image right click on the facebook image and select "copy image URL" you can use that to imbed the image regardless of privacy settings.
Alternatively you can right click and select "open image in new tab", go to the tab it opens and you can then copy the text in the text box and use that to link the image. It will work regardless of the images privacy settings :D

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
There's comments left with the images which, if view-able, some may want to read.

They are from a Pyrrhura Conure breeders group on Facebook that I was invited to due to my interest in mutations and subspecies, even though I am not a breeder, nor do I own a Pyrrhura conure! :)

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Darn. Was afraid of that! I don't want to "steel" the images to share them, but these birds did have an abnormal amount of yellow to that area of the wing... not as much as seen in the green cheek in this thread, and it was mostly in the "pit" of the wing (underneath) rather than on the edge or on top... with the maroon bellied having the most yellow in that particular spot of the wing, but again, not as much as the green cheek in this thread.

The maroon bellied is owned by Something Cheeky, and he bought the bird that way. I could not find the image on his website.

I looked on the posters Facebook images, but either the images weren't there or the poster has a private profile. Found some other images by one of them, which I'm not sure if they'll come through or not, either.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/315986_105120359598468_1925566648_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/578665_265364243574078_123598832_n.jpg

Most Reactions

Latest posts