Yoda's troubles and triumphs

Squeekmouse

May 31, 2017
Illinois
Parrots
Yoda, Green Cheek Conure - Trigger, Congo African Grey
I've said it in other posts and so have many others, but it bears saying again. I love sharing and reading our stories here on ParrotForums. Nobody but a fellow Parront really "gets it" when it comes to our fids.

Two weeks ago, Yoda said his first words! My husband was getting ready for work and went to take Yoda from his cage for some morning shoulder-riding time. As he opened the door Yoda says, "Hi Yoda!" in a voice that sounded like a squeeky version of my own voice. He did this again and again for my husband over the next couple of days before I finally got to hear it for myself. But when he DID finally say "Hi Yoda!" to me, he also said in an equally clear voice "Good morning!". :D Since then, he says both very frequently, probably because he gets so much love and attention when he does, lol! He also laugh whenever we laugh, and makes little kissy noises as he preens us, imitating the kissy noises I make at him when I nuzzle him. SOOOO CUTE!!!!

Then last week, Yoda got sick. He started sounding hoarse and he would have these little sneezing fits where he would sneeze again and again and again and again, for like 2 minutes straight. Then when the sneezes finally stop he made regurgitating like motions and spewed out gobs of clear fluid that I'm guessing was snot. He did this two days in a row and so I called our nearest Avian vet. They got us an appointment for the next day. The night before the appt Yoda woke us at 3am with a sneezing fit... I took him from his cage and cleaned the snot from him and held him till he calmed down and was ready to sleep again. What an awful night.

The next day I counted the minutes until we left for the vet. Dr Eisenberg was terrific, and Yoda charmed everyone there. The doctor said he had a mild sinus infection and prescribed some antibiotic drops to give him. He also took care of Yoda's annual checkup while we were there, and other than the sinus infection he gave Yoda a clean bill of health. Yoda's hoarseness got better over the next few days and his sneezes stopped. Yoda is doing great now, I can't tell you how relieved and happy we are!!!

I am so grateful every day and every minute for all the wonderful things in my life, second only to my husband I am so thankful for my Yoda. He's brought so much love and joy into our home. I'm SO glad Conures can live for 30 or more years, I plan to treasure and cherish every single one of them!!! :)

Thanks for sharing your stories with me, and for sharing mine!! :D

Sunnyclover

Jan 11, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Sun Conure - Ollie- Hatched 08/18/16*

Nanday Conure -Finley- Hatched 10/07/17*

Turquoise Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure -Paris- Hatched 03/03/18*

Black Capped Conure -North- Hatched 10/10/18
Thank goodness! I'm jealous of Yoda talking. I have 2 non taking Conures even thought I talk to them like 12 hours a day.

Most Reactions