Young Bird & Chop

redgate

Aug 6, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Just wondering whether it is better to introduce a young bird to each new food individually first before introducing them to chop?
I like the idea of the chop but also want to know what the bird likes or doesn't so I can use those to train with.
thanks

Irene

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
You could start out introducing foods individually and wait a few days before introducing another new one to see if he/she has any allergic reactions. I read on another thread someone gave their Mac? a pomegranate and he had a slight reaction I believe.

I just started giving Chili (5 month rb2) chop mix and he doesn't LOVE it, but he'll pick through it and munch on some stuff.

You could also just go for it and start chop mix and see what he/she eats the most of vs ignores.

Last edited:

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
I like the idea of providing a variety of foods together at once... it makes it more interesting if there are a variety of colors, shapes and textures together at once rather than just providing one or two boring looking items.

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
I like the idea of providing a variety of foods together at once... it makes it more interesting if there are a variety of colors, shapes and textures together at once rather than just providing one or two boring looking items.

So true! I think the main reason Chili actually started eating his chop is because there's so many different colors, textures, flavors, etc and lots to choose from. Oh and fun flinging it everywhere- thanks chili :/ lol

Plus i think if you introduce chop mix while they're young you might not have the frustration of introducing it to an older bird- Jackie wouldn't have anything to do with it! And I tried and tried and tried....

OP
R

redgate

Aug 6, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Thanks! I will start gathering the non-perishable ingredients while I am doing groceries and waiting for the baby to be weaned.
Will chop freeze well? Even if I use one of each vegetable or fruit there is going to be a lot more than one bird will be able to eat before it goes off.

Irene

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
Thanks! I will start gathering the non-perishable ingredients while I am doing groceries and waiting for the baby to be weaned.
Will chop freeze well? Even if I use one of each vegetable or fruit there is going to be a lot more than one bird will be able to eat before it goes off.

Irene

Make sure you let everything sit in a strainer for a while so it drains out as much liquid as possible, and then you can freeze it. Before I froze it, I sorted it all out into daily portions in small ziploc snack bags that way I can take a bag out of the freezer at night, put it in the fridge and in the morning it's thawed. You may have to warm it up a bit so it's not cold but make sure it's not warm either. I also pat it with paper towels to remove excess moisture.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Although fresh is best, frozen/thawed is ok, too.

You could put a mash chop into ice cube trays, freeze, then pop out and place into freezer bags for portions.

OP
R

redgate

Aug 6, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Thanks for allt he input.
Another question. My baby is not quite weaned yet and while I am sitting impatiently waiting for it to come home I was wondering if I could buy produce, chop it and freeze it now and then take a handful of this and that out of the bags to make chop later. The recipe would change with what handfuls I grabbed and I could save a bit of money because a lot of the vegetables are on sale right now as they are in season.

Irene

Most Reactions

Latest posts