Young Eclectus coming soon, help me shop!

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
I went to visit yesterday and since they were running a little late I got to feed him his lunch. So that was cool.

I think we decided on a name. My son and I both said 'Beaker' at the same time and my husband loved it. Since we are all muppet fans and my husband and I are both scientists, it feels appropriate :) But we'll still have to see if it fits once he gets home.

You will love those candy-corn Beaker kisses...:)
There's nothing better than them!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
S

Snarlla

Aug 19, 2019
We went to visit Saturday. And I also bought a bunch of toy making supplies online yesterday.
Oh, and we picked up his cage and assembled it. No pic of that yet.

HXqelcG.jpg

4i4UHtk.jpg

inZgmVm.jpg

Ellie777Australia

Apr 12, 2019
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
SI Eclectus Female, Ellie; RS/SI Eclectus Male, Bertie (both adopted as rescue/re-home)
Excellent Snarlla. See...no problem spending money on Beaker at all....and, you get to have fun doing so. Do you have a date yet as to when you bring him home?

OP
S

Snarlla

Aug 19, 2019
He is home now! Yay. I'll see if I can figure out how to post a video. He is still weaning so we're giving him formula morning and evening. He does not really seem to like his morning feeding much. He is eating the chop I prepare for him, sort of. He picks at it, really seems to like red peppers and blanched sweet potato. He did not love the mango, go figure, I thought it was delicious. He likes anise seeds, which we have given to him in the pods so he has to work at them. The dog is not very happy with this situation. We've been putting him away upstairs or outside when we get Beaker out to play. Hopefully that will get better.

At the bird shop he knew that the microwave means food time (they heated the water first) so now whenever he hears the microwave he squawks.

Video :)
https://imgur.com/a/4DVIeYm

Last edited:

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Yay!!! Welcome home little Beaker!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Ellie777Australia

Apr 12, 2019
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
SI Eclectus Female, Ellie; RS/SI Eclectus Male, Bertie (both adopted as rescue/re-home)
He is home now! Yay. I'll see if I can figure out how to post a video. He is still weaning so we're giving him formula morning and evening. He does not really seem to like his morning feeding much. He is eating the chop I prepare for him, sort of. He picks at it, really seems to like red peppers and blanched sweet potato. He did not love the mango, go figure, I thought it was delicious. He likes anise seeds, which we have given to him in the pods so he has to work at them. The dog is not very happy with this situation. We've been putting him away upstairs or outside when we get Beaker out to play. Hopefully that will get better.

At the bird shop he knew that the microwave means food time (they heated the water first) so now whenever he hears the microwave he squawks.

Video :)
https://imgur.com/a/4DVIeYm

How has the first week been? Hoping that Beaker is settling in and the dog is adjusting to the arrival of a new family member. It took our dog a little while to adjust so we gave her a little extra attention as she learned that Ellie was here to stay LOL. They get along great now.

OP
S

Snarlla

Aug 19, 2019
The dog feels very betrayed, lol. He's getting lots of treats, and he's quit barking at the cage, so hopefully that is progress.

I'm not sure I'm doing feeding correctly. He's supposed to eat formula 2x a day, but I've fed him 3x on two days since we've been home. Both of those days he'd been squawking a bunch around lunchtime (if he hears the microwave or any beeping noise, which he obviously associates with being fed). On most of the days, he will do one or two squawks when he hears a beep and then settle down, but those two days he just kept going, so I went ahead and fed him an additional time. As far as eating fruit/veg/pellets... some days he eats a good amount, and other days he barely touches it. I'm mixing it all up so hopefully hitting some stuff he will like. He seems to like pellets the best, but I'm giving him mostly fresh stuff as the bird shop and various web pages advise.

I'm a total dork, but here's a graph of his weight after each formula feeding.
WPTVZzN.jpg

Ellie777Australia

Apr 12, 2019
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
And now that I post I'm freaking out about his feeding, here he is eating the heck out of his chop :)

https://imgur.com/0UQYGUQ

I cannot view this photo but it could be our overseas problem that occurs sometimes.

What specific pellets have you chosen? I can't find anything without added vitamins here in Australia so I'm stuck at creating my own 'blend'. But, I know that every thing in it is organic and healthy, no corn, no bulk food, and quinoa and ancient grains are primary (gluten free), no fruit or glucose etc. I can't afford the shipping cost of importing the two pellets that I have chosen as potential dietary sources for my Eclectus pair. They are made in the US and shipping costs as much or more than the pellets LOL.

My two have days when chop is of no interest whether diced, chopped, and definitely not pureed! Still fussy on certain days despite being 5-6yo LOL. You are doing well to accept the challenge of taking on an Eclectus still on formula.

OP
S

Snarlla

Aug 19, 2019
That last was a video uploaded to imgur, not sure why it doesn't work.

Today, he refused breakfast formula twice. But he's eating food. I'm not sure. Maybe I will start a new thread about it. I read that they wean at an average of 14 weeks, but some can take as long as 6 months. He's almost 15 weeks now (3.3 months). The shop told me to continue feeding 2x a day for ~3-4 weeks, then 1x a day for another ~2-3 weeks.

MissAnnamarie

Nov 2, 2018
North Dakota, US
Parrots
Basil, eclectus.
Melania, eclectus.
River, blue and gold macaw.
Lucky, quaker.
Marley, quaker.
Kiwi, lovebird.
Really appreciate this thread since I'm getting my baby boy soon as well, good luck with yours!

Ellie777Australia

Apr 12, 2019
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
That last was a video uploaded to imgur, not sure why it doesn't work.

Today, he refused breakfast formula twice. But he's eating food. I'm not sure. Maybe I will start a new thread about it. I read that they wean at an average of 14 weeks, but some can take as long as 6 months. He's almost 15 weeks now (3.3 months). The shop told me to continue feeding 2x a day for ~3-4 weeks, then 1x a day for another ~2-3 weeks.

I agree Snarlla. At this stage the Breeding/Raising parrot section would get the expert advice. This location and thread title won't get the answers that you need at the moment. I'll keep following you over there and hope that you do well. I've never had to feed formula so all the best. I'm sure someone will be able to help and encourage you once you get into the right section to get the answers needed.

OP
S

Snarlla

Aug 19, 2019
I spoke to the shop and sent them my chart. They advised me to start phasing out the morning feeding. So the way that works is like, every other day I skip the morning feeding. I just started that yesterday and I think that's the trick. He nibbled at his food all day and then was good and hungry for formula in the evening. This morning he got formula and there was no lolly-gagging around, lol. He took it hungrily. So I'm keeping an eye on his food bowl and other food I've put in there (hanging kabobs, which he seems to love) and eventually he should start phasing out the morning feeding all together :)

Most Reactions