Young ekkie 'responds' to all human voices

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
It's a great ...scratch that....perfect solution for BONDED birds.....lots of people on here agree. DOn't grab the beak don't shake your body under him (earthquake)....this is just a simple ....You are not allowed, no excitement, no fear, this is not allowed behavior....now come back and lets play.

But if he just wonders off......he's not ready for it yet.

OP
F

faysalitani

Oct 12, 2017
Parrots
Eclectus
Ah I see what you mean. Okay. No perhaps we're not really there yet. My instinct is to just be hands-off with the guy (and just wait out the baby squawks), but then I worry we won't bond. So confusing!

By the way he doesn't bite once he's on my hand. Only when I'm bringing my hand up to him ,if that means anything :25:

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
sure he's biting and not beaking you? Might be good to check up on it. Beaking is using the mouth like a hand and just manipulating/checking things out. Very normal behaviour to be honest, they just gotta learn when it hurts (maybe there should be a sticky somewhere on beaking?) With an Ekkie you'll know if he bit you properly, by the blood spray.

Yes very normal for them to be docile when first coming home, big trauma moving home for them but they snap out of it after a while

OP
F

faysalitani

Oct 12, 2017
Parrots
Eclectus
Lol. No that hasn't happened. He's definitely not drawing blood, but it seems to be a bit more than the 'exploratory' beaking. Kind of an annoyed gesture? But what do i know :D He's fine once he's on my hand.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
That is a good point by LordTriggs, their beak is almost literally their hand....the bite pressure might seem like a lot, in that case it's fine to say gently and push against the beak, (don't grab it).......it's a nonverbal communication, ouch stop, easy...I think you will figure it out. You seam to be on top of things.

OP
F

faysalitani

Oct 12, 2017
Parrots
Eclectus
Happy to report the little dude has settled down. Much less squawking. Now he sits around and mumbles to himself. lol

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
Winner winner Eclectus dinner.....I mean don't eat him, you sicko; give him a treat. :D

OP
F

faysalitani

Oct 12, 2017
Parrots
Eclectus
I am, I am! The guy is the most treated Parrot in the state.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
Not for nothing I work nights, I don't work tonight but more ore less I try to keep the schedule......I'm going to bed with a happy......once I go to bed.

Most Reactions