Young Jenday or Sun?

Mimbleton

Jan 17, 2013
Packerland, USA
Parrots
Mr. Pickles
Hello - Can a 1-yr old jenday be mistaken for a sun? I bought Mr. Pickles last spring (he was born in March) as a $600 sun conure. Last week, I took him to have his claws dremelled, and the vet told me my sun conure was actually a jenday, which the store sells for $400. I went back there (PETCO) yesterday and nicely asked for in-store credit. Not sure how they're going to play this out, but they are disputing the vet's claim. My bird (who is hilarious, BTW) really, REALLY looks like a jendaya, but I'm wondering if its possible his wings could still turn yellow in the next year? These photos were taken just before xmas. Any inputs greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• DSC01992sm.jpg
    DSC01992sm.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 695
  • DSC01990sm.jpg
    DSC01990sm.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 843

wwendy104

Dec 30, 2012
Fort Wayne, IN
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw
African Grey
Conure
There is an awful lot of green on those wings and I would imagine that it would be ALOT of change that would have to happen for them to turn yellow. If I had to guess I would have to agree with the vet for now at least! The Sun and Jenday look similar but the main different is the green coloring on this wings.

That being said I am not a Conure expert, biologist, or vet :) So who am I to say LOL Either way you have a beautiful birdie for sure!:rainbow1:

Last edited:

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
You can spend $15-25 & have the bird DNA'd, but be sure you contact whichever lab you want to use, to be sure they do specie DNAs & can do them from freshly plucked feathers, then take the bird & sampling envelope/box to Petco, when the manager is there, pluck the sample feathers, place them in the shipping container, then both you & the manager initial and/or sign across the seal & send it off to the lab.....

Or

You could do the test on your own, get the results back & if you are right, file against the store in small claims court on the premise that they sold you a lesser valued bird so they could collect a higher price.....if you have a consumer advocate reporter with one of your local TV stations, you may want to get them involved.....national corporations do not like adverse publicity like this.....

Filing small claims is usually not expensive and the process is geared toward quick solutions rather than drawn out litigation...and...you don't have to know the law to purse your cause.....just be sure you've got all your ducks in a row.....

Heck, I could see them offering you $$$ rather than store credit.....even a bird of your choice, if that's what you wanted.....

Good luck

On reflection, I'd even contact the local newspaper, after talking with the TV reporter & see if they wanted to cover it also.....more press equals less happy the petco corporate offices will be.....

Last edited:

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
Welcome to the forum:)

I would say it is definately a Jenday! I used to have a Jenday Conure and he is identical.

OP
Mimbleton

Mimbleton

Jan 17, 2013
Packerland, USA
Parrots
Mr. Pickles
Thanks to you both for replies. I am not sure how far I'm willing to pursue this, but I hate being cheated - if that's the case here. One thing I found out since posting; his leg band number (JC 7143) led me to a Coleman Aviaries in Florida, who I sent an email asking for bird type. Even if they don't reply, I found it interesting their website price list has both suns and jendays at $350. Petco now wants me to find Pickle's "birth certificate" and I suspect they're going to give me one more hoop after another to jump through until I give up.

DannyA93

Jan 22, 2012
Las Cruces, NM
Parrots
Pineapple Turquoise Greencheek Conure-Ivy❤️, Male Cockatiel-Lusa (aka Bub =D)
So is he about 2 years old now? by the looks of him he's not exactly all green on his wings! i think he might actually be a sun/jenday hybrid but he looks a jenday if not:)

OP
Mimbleton

Mimbleton

Jan 17, 2013
Packerland, USA
Parrots
Mr. Pickles
He's 10 months old, which is why I'm wondering if his wings might yet change color. The vet was very sure about him being a jenday, and he looks EXACTLY like what I see with a google image search ... but Petco is digging in their heels and "looking into it."

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
There is no species/parentage test for parrots available like they have for dogs.

The first image from the back looks like a young sun to me, but the photo from the front looks possible hybrid.

Do you have a better photo showing the front?

And yes, it can take over a year for some sun conures to color up.

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
OK, I'm going to go ahead & stick my neck out here, but I will take exception with that Monica.....

I had read about the specie testing being done, so, inquiring mind that I have, I went looking & found this: http://www.theriondna.com/pdf/avian.pdf

I just called, seeking further info on their capabilities, but they were already closed, so I'm going to stand by my earlier post and promise to bow & sufficiently grovel should I have been reading between the lines, that which I wanted to read.....but until I am proved wrong, I stand by my previous post about specie testing..... :)

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
weco, that tells you how closely two birds may or may not be related... it does not tell you the species of the bird.

There-in lies the problem.

Mimbleton, that would be a yes... lol I saw your post over there.

94lt1

Nov 9, 2012
SouthEast TX
Parrots
Monte..Scarlet macaw, Seminole...yellow napped amazon, Starburst... sun conure...Rain, cinnamon green cheek.
If he's 2 and has that much green, he's a sundea or a jenday... our Starburst was thought to be a sundae... but he's a sun... check out my flock pics.. :)
He's 9 months and 7 days.. exploding with yellow. .

A lot of people, especially PETCO and petsmart confuse the 2, or the breeders confuse them..

I've tried calling Starbursts breeders.. no call back.. nothing but voicemail.. so good luck...

Last edited:

94lt1

Nov 9, 2012
SouthEast TX
Parrots
Monte..Scarlet macaw, Seminole...yellow napped amazon, Starburst... sun conure...Rain, cinnamon green cheek.
Just read he's 10 months old.... look at my flock photos.. you'll see that Starburst has only recently exploded with yellow..his hatch day is march 10th of 2012..

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
weco, if you do find that test to determine species, then I'm all for it! I contacted one lab in California and was told that there is no test like that at this time. I also asked my a-vet, and she wasn't aware of anything either. She tries to keep up with the latest information that is available, so if she doesn't know, then I would assume it's not available.

yoshidaboss

Sep 9, 2012
tenn
Parrots
sun conure,
yoshi

baby sun... 6month's
thunderfoot (j/k no name yet)
my wife is in a dispute with petco right now,

she bought some birdfood an it was dated to expire in 2011, it was stocked on the shelf last week.
it had cobwebs in the bag and mold, it was the 2nd time she had to return expired bird food.

the store manager hung up on her, so she called the corporate office, they said that they would have the store manager call her back and take care of evrything, within a week, so as far as i know .... she hasnt got called yet

edit: it does look alot like a young sun, could be a late bloomer

Birdlover11

Aug 23, 2012
Long island
Parrots
Pepsi and sprite, both are American male budgies
I don't trust petco. They say they treat all pets equally but all you have to do is look at the dead betta fish in the inhumane cups and it will tell you everything.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
I don't trust petco. They say they treat all pets equally but all you have to do is look at the dead betta fish in the inhumane cups and it will tell you everything.

This is going OT, and I don't exactly agree with the practice either... but do you know what a betta's natural habitat is like?

DannyA93

Jan 22, 2012
Las Cruces, NM
Parrots
Pineapple Turquoise Greencheek Conure-Ivy❤️, Male Cockatiel-Lusa (aka Bub =D)
What i've noticed in the jendays is that the color on there lower chest and bellys are alot more red then a sun and you can usualy see a destinct line where it changes color from the yellow to the red! can you see the line on your baby?

Most Reactions

Latest posts