Your experience with adopting baby grey

eisterunicorn

Jan 13, 2016
Arizona
Parrots
None... But I hope someday I will have an african grey! :)
:) Hello everyone! I made a thread here a year ago about wanting an african grey so bad. At the time I was in the military and decided against it due to the advice given by you all about waiting until I have a more stable situation. I have since been medically discharged for my mental illnesses... I now have all the time in the world and spend 90% of it at home. I am also married and he has a steady job.

So I have been obsessing over the idea of bringing a grey into my life once again. I have seriously been weighing the pros and cons about it, and I do have my heart set on getting one from a breeder. I have visited a bird rescue and some adults that a nearby breeder has... and this weekend I am visiting the last baby that a breeder an hour and a half away has.

In my gut I feel I would only adopt an adult due to guilt (mainly from the people at avianavenue who seem to be very against adopting birds).
And I truly desire to know the entire history of my bird and prevent issues and baggage through careful raising and training etc. Also I would be sort of creeped out with an adult already having a vocabulary of someone else's voice... :) I have a quiet lifestyle where I mostly spend my time here painting or doing other activities like reading and browsing forums and cuddling with my dogs and rats... So I would like to bring a baby grey up with that sort of environment...

Anyways I'm sort of rambling. :) I don't want to go to hugely into my lifestyle and everything about how I am feeling about all this. :) Mostly I am wanting a lifelong companion who has a strong bond to me(I have no friends and do not desire them...). I never want children. I want to leave the cage open when I am home and supervising, and take him many places. I also do not want a hyperactive bird.. preferably one who can adjust to my lifestyle and would be content to hang out on a tree or playstand for a while, interacting with me while I paint or shower or watch tv... :)

Many people on the other forums have been saying that if I get one under 5 years old, he will only see me as mommy and will eventually want nothing to do with me and will try to bond with my husband instead. This is scary to me. I want to socialize my bird with many people and my husband without the fear that I will be spending the rest of my days with this intelligent creature who does not want to be close anymore.

SO! That was kind of longer than I thought it would be!! But I am really just trying to get some experience from people who have had their grey since he was young... and did it turn out that you are still very close or... yeah. :) Let me know please!!

Mae:eek:

EDIT to add: I really would like this thread to only be experiences of those who have had their greys since adopting from a breeder :) or as fairly young. Not as a thread to convince me of the joys of adopting from a rescue as that may not be the route I want to take. And I have already received more opinions and advice about that choice than I can handle.... Please....? :)

Last edited:

sonja

Jul 31, 2012
Well, I am also a big proponent of adopting, so I will leave that issue to others to comment on. Please know that getting a baby bird from a breeder is not "adopting", it is buying - and depending on the breeder they may have a vested interest - your money - in telling you what you want to hear. A true rescue is going to likely tell you a fairly honest appraisal of the truth, to try to make the best match for you and the bird.

I wanted to mention, though - make sure you check out whether the paints you use will harm a bird. Birds are very sensitive to fumes and some paints could kill a parrot if he is exposed.

Good luck in your search.

OP
eisterunicorn

eisterunicorn

Jan 13, 2016
Arizona
Parrots
Well, I am also a big proponent of adopting, so I will leave that issue to others to comment on. Please know that getting a baby bird from a breeder is not "adopting", it is buying - and depending on the breeder they may have a vested interest - your money - in telling you what you want to hear. A true rescue is going to likely tell you a fairly honest appraisal of the truth, to try to make the best match for you and the bird.

I wanted to mention, though - make sure you check out whether the paints you use will harm a bird. Birds are very sensitive to fumes and some paints could kill a parrot if he is exposed.

Good luck in your search.

I know my paints are fine. I use non toxic odorless mineral spirits designed to not emit any fumes and have looked into that for a while.

I also know that the popular term is buying, but I say adopting for any animal I purchase. Buying to me feels like I am only paying for a lifeless object. I adopt my animals, no matter the source.

Please I would only like replies of experiences with adopting a baby grey!! :) I got a lot a lot a lot of people telling me to adopt an adult on the other forum and I really am overwhelmed with it. I want this perspective now please. Thank you! :p

LeaKP

Aug 11, 2014
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Congo African Grey
Having a baby is a lot of work that lasts for quite some years before the bird matures. I suggest you read the threads and stickies in the grey forum. Lots of info there. How everyone reacts is individual so I'm loathe to say much more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

greytness

Sep 11, 2015
Southern California
Parrots
3 CAGs, BHC, 2 duskie conures, Jardine's, Meyers, pineapple GCC, eclectus, miligold macaw, scarlet macaw, & Panama Amazon
Many of us from AA are also here. You will probably receive the same advice about the benefits/risks.

OP
eisterunicorn

eisterunicorn

Jan 13, 2016
Arizona
Parrots
Having a baby is a lot of work that lasts for quite some years before the bird matures. I suggest you read the threads and stickies in the grey forum. Lots of info there. How everyone reacts is individual so I'm loathe to say much more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

By a lot of work, please explain. How is the work different apart from lots of socialization and careful training?
I have read nearly everything. Have lurked and researched and read a lot. :) I would like to hear experiences regardless, as most of the experiences I have been told when mentioning I want a baby is 1. The baby will not love you forever... and 2. Adopting a rescue is the most amazing thing in the world and you will have less problems etc etc etc... well I don't believe that is true as many rescues also come with baggage. I see pros and cons...

Just would like to hear some stories of people who have had their greys since babies and are not against the idea of it... :)

OP
eisterunicorn

eisterunicorn

Jan 13, 2016
Arizona
Parrots
Many of us from AA are also here. You will probably receive the same advice about the benefits/risks.

In this thread I really would rather hear more about experiences from people who have had their grey since a baby. :)

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
A parrot with an open cage door + dog = dead parrot one day. Maybe years from now but a predator and prey have instincts that can't be trained out of them 100%...

No such thing as nontoxic mineral spirits. If they are mineral spirits, they are petroleum based, and toxic. What is the exact name? The manufacturer or seller must provide a MSDS (material safety data sheet) that describes the exact chemical nature, not a meaningless generic term.

Advise a waiting period after any major life change. So if one year after your discharge you are still in the same relationship, still in the same house, then that's probably stable enough to consider adding such a long term commitment.

greytness

Sep 11, 2015
Southern California
Parrots
3 CAGs, BHC, 2 duskie conures, Jardine's, Meyers, pineapple GCC, eclectus, miligold macaw, scarlet macaw, & Panama Amazon
:)
I want to leave the cage open when I am home and supervising, and take him many places. I also do not want a hyperactive bird.. preferably one who can adjust to my lifestyle and would be content to hang out on a tree or playstand for a while, interacting with me while I paint or shower or watch tv... :)

Many people on the other forums have been saying that if I get one under 5 years old, he will only see me as mommy and will eventually want nothing to do with me and will try to bond with my husband instead. This is scary to me. I want to socialize my bird with many people and my husband without the fear that I will be spending the rest of my days with this intelligent creature who does not want to be close anymore.

There's no guarantees. Bottom line. Your ideal may not become the actual. Babies start out sweet, and then they go through the terrible twos. Potentially lots of bites and challenges. Lots of stages with changes in behavior, that's for sure. They're as unique and as individual as any other one of God's creatures. Some hit each stage hard; others breeze through each stage without any significant changes.

I don't believe others were saying that your bird will bond to your husband because you'd been the mommy. They were stating a fact that birds can change who they choose at different stages throughout their lives. Most likely it won't happen for you with your husband being gone a lot. But still, it's a possibility; not a given.

An open cage is a great concept IF your dogs can be trusted 100%.

My advice to you is just go with your gut, as we'll probably end up confusing your decision making even more. If you want a baby, then get one! You'll be fine.

Last edited:
OP
eisterunicorn

eisterunicorn

Jan 13, 2016
Arizona
Parrots
Thank you for the concerns and advice guys :) I really don't want to justify how great my dogs are and how supervised my bird and dogs would be with me. And the ways I paint amd a debate on that... just experiences... >.<

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
I will be honest with you, for your sake and the sake of any parrot that you do get.

1. Every parrot is different. We could have 10 Grey owners say "My bird is mellow, and adapted to my life so easliy' and yours may be 180 degrees different. Greys are very opinionated, observant and slow to change their minds.

2. your statement "I also do not want a hyperactive bird.. preferably one who can adjust to my lifestyle" You adapt your lifestyle to your parrot. If your not ready too do that, a dog is perhpas a better fit. Parrots are work. I work with my parrot, Salty EVERY night, unless I am in CHina or out of state. Every night. And if I dont, my wife does. Cages and hang out areas need to be cleaned every day. Not when you feel like it. Parrots need a healthy diet not just seeds. THink more like the diet of a long distance runner.

3) They are a lifetime companion. If you are the kind of person who is 100% fascinated by a subject and a year later cannot stand to even discuss that topic, parrots are not for you. Greys especially can live 60-70 years, and they need the same level of love and interaction and care as they did on the 3 rd day you got them.

4) Greys and cockatoos will let you know they are unhappy by plucking theiir feathers out, and then slowly riping their own skin off. Not because of anything they are doing, its because the owner is not doing something, and the bird is not going to tell you why its unhappy. Are you able to live with that kind of responsibility?

OP
eisterunicorn

eisterunicorn

Jan 13, 2016
Arizona
Parrots
Okay... thank you.... I think I will leave forums now.... at least for asking questions before I get my bird... I have heard the same warnings over and over and I appreciated at first but now it is just killing me so if I get a grey soon I think I will stay away from the forums... people stress me much more than animals ever have... thanks for the time guys and your hearts are in the right place but I think I will take a break from humans.

greytness

Sep 11, 2015
Southern California
Parrots
Everyone here is simply painting the reality of owning a grey. If it all stresses you, then you're truly not approaching grey owner realistically. We're currently living with greys and want you to know what it's like. I'm left feeling as though you only want us to paint something that you want it to become for you.
We're being open and honest to help you with the best of intentions.

Katu

May 27, 2017
GTA, ON
Parrots
Male blue budgie!
It sounds to me like you are wanting people to justify only your own point of view. That is not unbiased information. Taking on ANY parrot can be an overwhelming life-changing responsibility, not to be taken lightly, or with rose colored glasses on. You've never had kids, so you don't yet know that type of overwhelming feeling that you are very likely to experience with bird ownership. You don't want to hear anything negative, but the truth is you just don't know what you'll end up with, even by buying a baby bird. I wish you luck. I'm sure everyone here will support you either way. Please do come back after you get your bird. This is the place with the best info and nice people.

OP
eisterunicorn

eisterunicorn

Jan 13, 2016
Arizona
Parrots
Everyone here is simply painting the reality of owning a grey. If it all stresses you, then you're truly not approaching grey owner realistically. We're currently living with greys and want you to know what it's like. I'm left feeling as though you only want us to paint something that you want it to become for you.
We're being open and honest to help you with the best of intentions.

And I'm not doubting that but I'm not just talking about this thread on this forum... please do not judge me like that. Humans stress me when it appears that they are being harsh or insensitive... I have Schizoaffective disorder (on meds and stable enough for animal care thank you) and I cannot connect with people the way I can with animals. I am on forums to learn and be encouraged it just seems that 90% of the advice I have gotten on forums has been more discouraging and challenging me.... I'm not trying to start a fight here. I just see it probably isn't good for me to stay on these forums if the majority of it will not be healthy for me. All I want starting this thread was/is personal experiences... not guarded or warnings or anything. I have gotten plenty of that and I have taken it all into my mind already. Thank you <3 :)

OP
eisterunicorn

eisterunicorn

Jan 13, 2016
Arizona
Parrots
It sounds to me like you are wanting people to justify only your own point of view. That is not unbiased information. Taking on ANY parrot can be an overwhelming life-changing responsibility, not to be taken lightly, or with rose colored glasses on. You've never had kids, so you don't yet know that type of overwhelming feeling that you are very likely to experience with bird ownership. You don't want to hear anything negative, but the truth is you just don't know what you'll end up with, even by buying a baby bird. I wish you luck. I'm sure everyone here will support you either way. Please do come back after you get your bird. This is the place with the best info and nice people.

This is not true. I spent a great deal of time on the thread I made for advice and opinions on the other forum. Please do not accuse me of these things. It hurts.
I have cared for and trained many animals growing up and I've been through hell so please do not assume I cannot handle it.... I am just asking for personal stories of getting a grey baby... :(

OP
eisterunicorn

eisterunicorn

Jan 13, 2016
Arizona
Parrots
I hope I am not coming across wrong even being on forums are hard for me I am much more receptive to a gentle person who does not accuse me or judge me so fast.... I am very responsible and I had so many people giving advice for a thread I asked for advice on, but I got very overwhelmed at a certain point and am just making this thread as a lighter thing with hopefully some positive stories! :) not as a platform for more warnings etc try to understand or please do not post here. It is getting overwhelming and I have a knot of anxiety

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I've had Tusk since he was just off hand feeding... I've lost track how old he is now. Twelve, thirteen, fourteen... somewhere around there.

I haven't had any problems with him turning on me... I mean other than the normal "CAG Stubbornness... that is."

He's more likely to pluck you, than himself. He was raised with amazons and macaws, and his best buddy is an LCA.

I don't know where all these myths come from, but if you work with the bird, the generally don't turn on you.

Socialization, however, is learned, and is your responsibility. And if you don't do it, a CAG has a beak like a scissors, and will use it.

OP
eisterunicorn

eisterunicorn

Jan 13, 2016
Arizona
Parrots
I've had Tusk since he was just off hand feeding... I've lost track how old he is now. Twelve, thirteen, fourteen... somewhere around there.

I haven't had any problems with him turning on me... I mean other than the normal "CAG Stubbornness... that is."

He's more likely to pluck you, than himself. He was raised with amazons and macaws, and his best buddy is an LCA.

I don't know where all these myths come from, but if you work with the bird, the generally don't turn on you.

Socialization, however, is learned, and is your responsibility. And if you don't do it, a CAG has a beak like a scissors, and will use it.

Thank you for sharing your experience and advice! :) It's good to hear an experienced bird keeper say that that is a myth... many people on the other forums warned me that if I get a young bird he will see me as mother and want nothing to do with me and bond to my husband later in life.

I would really enjoy the socialization part... taking him with me and getting me out more.... that's another reason I've wanted a baby more. The need for socialization.
:) thanks again

Most Reactions