Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
My method of bathing birds has always been with a spray bottle. Whether they're on the cage, or held in the shower stall... and occasionally under the shower head (though they don't like that as much with our particular shower head).

I think I've always had this question in the back of my mind for as long as I've been bathing birds, but never asked. My concern is about "shower germs" :eek:

FIRST, let me say my shower does get cleaned and is NOT filthy... I'm talking about germs that can't be seen. Since the bottom of the tub is where our rinse water lands when washing our bodies (and human bacteria). Sorry to be gross, but I do think about this fact when a bird is over the shower stall and accidentally falls into the tub or shower stall bottom where the germs are. Even worse, my husband insists on bathing the budgies in (very shallow water) in the tub! I told him you better not do my parrots in there! :11:

I realize the birds should have an immune system to fight against germs.
Still, I think of this. Has this ever crossed your mind also, or is it fine in your opinion?

* Also, not only germs - but after cleaning, even after rinsing very well isn't there still a trace amount of chemicals left on the surface?

*** My common sense tells me none of this is really anything to worry about, but I'm curious to hear what you think...

Mekaisto

Jan 8, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Zookeeper who has worked with many bird species, and owner of a cheeky red-tailed black cockatoo (Ash)
Some of the bacteria on our skin does get sloughed off when we shower, does go into the tub and yes - probably does get on our parrots' feet. But the same thing happens when your parrot sits on your hand, and when they bite or lick you it even goes into their mouths. The dust in the air around them is filled with our bacteria, it's everywhere!

However, unless you have a disease that can be transferred to parrots, I don't think there's anything to worry about.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
I agree with Mekaisto. Germs are everywhere, and I am 100% positive they would get exposed to far nastier things out in nature than some skin cells in the shower. The chemicals are another story though. Germs are natural and something a healthy parrot shouldn't have issues with, cleaning chemicals are not. I personally use vinegar and baking soda for everything (except I do bleach the toilet every so often, but Kiwi CERTAINLY isn't plying in there!). It does a good job on every surface in the house, the vinegar is still antibacterial and if Kiwi were to lick a trace amount of vinegar, it won't hurt him.

OP
RavensGryf

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
You have a point. I mean, out in the wild they're subjected to animal feces, rotting animal and plant tissues, etc. not that they will be all over that stuff of course, but still far from being 'sanitary' outdoors in the wild.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
The bathtub might be a potentially cleaner place to bathe a parrot than in the kitchen sink.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
You have a point. I mean, out in the wild they're subjected to animal feces, rotting animal and plant tissues, etc. not that they will be all over that stuff of course, but still far from being 'sanitary' outdoors in the wild.

While you obviously wouldn't want to expose them to feces and rotting material, I personally buy into the "thought process" that creatures (including us!) can't have a strong immune system when they live in a completely sterile environment. IMO-Even a birdy body needs to be exposed to the everyday harmless bacteria around it's environment so it's immune system has practice and is in shape to fight off a potentially dangerous bacteria, should it ever be exposed. I keep our place pretty clean, so with the exception of the trash or toilet, there is no where else I wouldn't allow Kiwi to explore. I'm more concerned with the outdoors, but even then, I just make sure he's not nibbling anything.

I think your fids would likely enjoy a nice bird-bath in the tub:D

happycat

Mar 9, 2012
Virginia, U.S.
Parrots
Kakariki (Kirby) Cockatiel (Shiro) Jenday Conure (Jojo)
I have a question similar to this. I always wondered why you can bathe your parrots in the shower with you and be exposed to scented soaps and shampoos, but can't be around other scented things? I've always been cautious when taking Kirby into the bathroom, and never washed my hair with him in the shower.

OP
RavensGryf

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
For me personally, it just doesn't seem 'appealing' to me at all, to have a bird in the shower bathing with me. I just want to go in, clean up, and get out. Haha.

I'd be more concerned if soap or shampoo lather accidentally flipped on the birds face or eyes. The smell is probably mild and so brief it isn't of consequence. Years ago Robin was around scented candles a lot. Not saying it's good,but he's still here 20 yrs later. I don't do it anymore, as these days I make sure to do the very best I can for my birds.

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
I shower with my conure, and it goes like this....I get in first and do my thing while he waits on a stand or plays around on the bathroom sink. After I'm done, I turn down the heat and go get him, and then he gets his shower. No soap worries or any of that. He doesn't go on the shower floor, but if he did I wouldn't worry about it. I just hold him on my wrist or shoulder. I wouldn't worry about your tub, just make sure it's rinsed first :)

Most Reactions