Zilla is Having Breathing Problems Again This Morning!

Amanda_Bennett

Sep 27, 2014
Gresham, OR
Parrots
Zilla 29 Y.O. Orange Wing Amazon
Yesterday afternoon she played so long and so much, we played the finger game (she loves beaking and tasting my fingers, turning my hand over and walking on it, checking out each and every fingernail I have) and trying to be sly enough to make it up to my shoulder, but I have stopped allowing her on my shoulder, so we play the "who is faster and more stubborn" game.

She played with her swing/gym for a couple of hours. Chewing one side then seeing the other side moving and had to run over and chew it, then back again, and again. It was like she just couldn't get enough of it! She was being so active for so long I started watching her carefully and noticed she was breathing pretty hard.

About 5:30 we had dinner together and I was still seeing her "huffing" for breath a bit, so I ended playtime and put her in her cage. She seemed to calm down and was ready to go to sleep by 7:00, so I covered 3 sides of her cage and just watched her sleep for another couple of hours. Her breathing seemed "normal" by about 9:00 so I covered the rest of her cage and went to bed, just figuring this was due to playing so much more than she has been used to and since she had calmed down she was fine again.

This morning when I got up she was breathing really heavy, open beak, tail bobbing with every breath, and acting like she is choking or trying to vomit but nothing is coming out! She ate a little fruit and a few seeds, drank some water, but refused a nutri-berry! She loves nutri-berries and normally will do anything for one!

I can't call her vet for another 35 minutes, and if I remember right it's her day off!

She has only been off the antibiotics since the 15th and has seemed fine. Her last check-up was last Thursday the 16th and she was fine! She was X-Rayed, blood work done, fecal sample, everything came back in the acceptable range.

How can this happen? She has been kept warm, no other animals (except my 2 cats) hasn't been outside, no strange people (she doesn't like any one but me touching her)

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
How's she feeling now? Was what you witnessed this morning a short "episode" of the behavior? Did it look anything like what this budgie is doing:
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjOOJyScp_M"]crop adjusting - YouTube[/ame]

If so, she may just be adjusting her crop. It *looks* like they are gasping for air and/or about to vomit, but it's perfectly natural, normal and healthy. I wish I had a video of Kiwi doing it. It's kind of freaky to see, especially since it's not one of those "frequently discussed" topics and many newer bird owners are unaware of what they're witnessing their bird doing:)

OP
Amanda_Bennett

Amanda_Bennett

Sep 27, 2014
Gresham, OR
Parrots
How's she feeling now? Was what you witnessed this morning a short "episode" of the behavior? Did it look anything like what this budgie is doing:
crop adjusting - YouTube

If so, she may just be adjusting her crop. It *looks* like they are gasping for air and/or about to vomit, but it's perfectly natural, normal and healthy. I wish I had a video of Kiwi doing it. It's kind of freaky to see, especially since it's not one of those "frequently discussed" topics and many newer bird owners are unaware of what they're witnessing their bird doing:)

It looks a lot like that, but more with her tongue sticking out, and she is putting her head way down and it has been going on for the last couple of hours.

She is also breathing super hard, open beak, chest "huffing", tail bobbing, and not eating like she usually does.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
:( Well I hope she's ok and feels better soon!

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Oh no Amanda, I'm sorry this is happening! Is there an emergency a-vet you can go to? Please keep us updated.

OP
Amanda_Bennett

Amanda_Bennett

Sep 27, 2014
Gresham, OR
Parrots
Her vet has the day off!

The soonest they can see her is tomorrow for a drop-off appointment where I would drop her off at 10:00am and pick her back up at 3:00pm!!!

I'm gonna start calling emergency vets now!

OP
Amanda_Bennett

Amanda_Bennett

Sep 27, 2014
Gresham, OR
Parrots
No one has a vet on duty that will see a bird until 6:00pm tonight!!!!

How can I live in the biggest city in Oregon and no emergency A-Vet???

She is breathing and acting better now though. Chest barely moving, tail back where it should be an not bobbing, beak closed, eating her breakfast, talking to me and vocalizing like normal.

Could it be asthma? Do birds get asthma?

Am I just freaking out?

Could she be faking? Maybe she wants all the attention, or to go bye bye?

Angel3

Aug 15, 2014
Southen California
Parrots
Yellow Naped. Soon I'll have an African Grey. I also have three parakeets.
crop adjusting - YouTube

This sounds a logical comment or explanation:).

Most Reactions