Zilla is Officially a Food Thief!

Amanda_Bennett

Sep 27, 2014
Gresham, OR
Parrots
Zilla 29 Y.O. Orange Wing Amazon
When I got her I had to break her from wanting to only eat if she could share my plate of food or eat off my fork. It was relatively simple to do, I just put her food on a dessert plate and put it on the shelf of her cage. She gets her "dinner" which usually consists of chop and some fresh fruit/veggies and then as I walk by on my way to my chair with my plate I give her something safe for her off my plate (usually chicken, fish, or bread) This has worked well for us for just over a year now and she has never stolen anything off my plate.

Last night as I stood there holding my plate and giving her some sweet potatoes and a piece of corn on the cob she leaned out so far she almost fell on my plate, snagged a small piece of my steak and ran to the top middle of her dome top cage! She knows I can't reach her if she stays in the middle of the top. Usually she will come to me when I put my hand up and ask her to, but not last night. She sat there watching me and wolfing down her ill gotten steak as fast as she possibly could all while making her "yum yum" noises.

It was a small piece (I'm glad I cut my steak small before I take my plate into the living room to eat) and by the time I set my plate down and got a stool to step on she had it gone, so there was no getting it back.

I can't believe how far she leaned out and down and how fast she grabbed it and was gone! I will have to keep my plate farther away from her when I share from now on. I know steak isn't good for her, but I am glad it wasn't something toxic to her!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Never underestimate the persistence of a parrot where food is concerned. They want what they want when they want it, regardless! Just another sign of how comfortable Zilla feels with you!

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
I must confess, I shared macaroni and cheese with Buddy after he charged my plate and helped himself. Apparently it's a favorite of his from his previous owner. He was like a woman eating chocolate lol.

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
I'm sorry, Amanda, I had to laugh with Zilla the food thief. No way, was she giving up her stolen steak. Stealing food must improve the flavor, none of my parrots are above snagging a tasty bite from a flockmate or a human.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Haha, I have my flock trained to go to their own food bowls when I eat. I didn't "train" them purposely, but I admit it's nice. I'm such a mean parront lol... But one of my idiosyncracies is that I don't like anyone interrupting my eating, whether it's a human or animal. They still get their snacks and treats so they're fine ;).

Last edited:

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
I wouldn't worry too much about a small piece of steak. I've heard of wild Amazon's feasting on dead/rotten cows, green buzzards.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
But she's a pretty food thief:D

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
I wouldn't worry too much about a small piece of steak. I've heard of wild Amazon's feasting on dead/rotten cows, green buzzards.

:eek::eek::eek:

Maybe my mom's poor balding Barney is a legit vulture after all:54:

Blancaej

Apr 5, 2013
Middlebury, VT
Parrots
CAG Quincy - BD 3/27/00. Gotcha 6/00 ~ GW Macaw Savannah - BD 6/21/93. Gotcha 4/13 ~ B&G Macaw Coqui - BD 9/3/03. Gotcha 10/13 ~ Blue Crown Conure Sidney - BD Unknown Approx 5 Years Old. Gotcha 6/15/
Lol! Love it!

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
GREAT story, Amanda!! :D

All my fids try 'stealing' our food, but our Amazons are particularly skilled at it. :54:

Sam flew to the couch, JUST to get a piece of hot wings. :eek:

...and who can resist pasta with homemade sauce?

Blancaej

Apr 5, 2013
Middlebury, VT
Parrots
CAG Quincy - BD 3/27/00. Gotcha 6/00 ~ GW Macaw Savannah - BD 6/21/93. Gotcha 4/13 ~ B&G Macaw Coqui - BD 9/3/03. Gotcha 10/13 ~ Blue Crown Conure Sidney - BD Unknown Approx 5 Years Old. Gotcha 6/15/
Great pictures Wendy! All my fids light up when they see me eating. They stare at me hoping I will feel sorry and share. And yes, sometimes I do! ;)

OP
Amanda_Bennett

Amanda_Bennett

Sep 27, 2014
Gresham, OR
Parrots
Zilla 29 Y.O. Orange Wing Amazon
Thanks everyone! Zilla sure does LOVE our "eating" time, and we do eat together at least a couple times a day (though the morning consists of me drinking my coffee and her having her morning chop) In the evenings she eats on the door/shelf of her cage on her own plate and I eat about 3 to 4 feet away in my chair on my own plate. So far she chooses not to fly (she is horrible aiming herself & landing) so she doesn't "visit" my plate just watches me very closely to make sure I am saving her a bite of something super yummy.

She always gets something off my plate (even if I'm not eating the same thing, she thinks if it comes off my plate it's super yummy) It could even be one of her dried peppers and she will act like it's candy if it comes off my plate...she's hilarious!

She's a very spoiled little feather ball, and so so loved!!! :D

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
Great pictures Wendy! All my fids light up when they see me eating. They stare at me hoping I will feel sorry and share. And yes, sometimes I do! ;)

Buddy will start streaking if he sees us eating and he doesn't have any. A few times I've told him he's going to shatter his lungs because he screams as loud as he can. Venus sits on her going staring at us letting Buddy do all the work, lol. I do get a kick out of them wanting to eat with us, always a good time.

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Smokes wouldn't steal,but if I was in the living room eating and watch the news,she'd climb down from her roof top and waddle over to me,look me in the eyes while she "swayed" back and forth,from one foot to another,all the while her little tongue stuck out and wiggling it! How could I refuse her???!!

Jim

flyingron

Jan 3, 2015
Chantilly, VA
Parrots
Bacca (Quaker)
Bacca is a sneak. She'll wait until I am in the middle of conversation and sneak down my arm and pluck something out of my dinner.

KevH

Aug 31, 2013
ENGLAND
Parrots
5 year old CAG GIZMO
4 year old DYHA RIO
2 year old YELLOW NAPE RUBY
4 month old greenwing macaw Myha
2 year old CAG ROXY
12 year old rescue CAG MARLEY
15 year old rescue CAG SMOKEY
I tried the sharing breakfast scrambled egg and toast lets just say I didnt get much got squeezed out lol

Most Reactions