Zumpreen fruit pellets for budgies (BUDGIE OWNERS)

OP
S
May 17, 2020
Re: Zumpreen fruit pellets for budgies

do budgies get sugar in the wild or not is it natural for them to get sugar in the wild. I heard they are mainly grainivours.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.

do budgies get sugar in the wild or not is it natural for them to get sugar in the wild. I heard they are mainly grainivours.

I am not familiar with budgies, hopefully our knowledgeable members will share.

OP
S
May 17, 2020

I understand that harrisons contain no sugar but contain a lot of corn which is high in sugar.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.

I understand that harrisons contain no sugar but contain a lot of corn which is high in sugar.

Corn is the first item by weight, though the balance of primary ingredients is good. They do not list nutritional percentage of sugar, only protein, fat, moisture, and fiber.

OP
S
May 17, 2020

Do you guys know anyway I could contact zumpreem to ask about the amount of sugar and the colours they add.

OP
S
May 17, 2020

Hi there! Zupreem has higher sugar content and food coloring so it may not be the best choice for pellets. I recently transitioned my budgies to a combination of Roudybush and Lafeber. No food coloring and well rounded nutrition (although I think Lafeber has slightly higher sugar). They've eaten seeds all their life and took about 2-3 months of slow transition. They seem to like it now.

Just remember to transition them slowly so they do not starve. Gradually increase the new food. Do not cut out old food until you're sure they're eating the new food. You know they're eating the pellets when you see grounded/powdered pellets in their bowls. Good luck!
Did your budgies used to eat zumpreem fruit blend

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Almost all parrots (I would venture to say all) would get some sugar in the wild, but it would be in the form of fruit etc.

I also noticed that Harrison's contains a lot of corn, and I have always been under the impression that corn is a junky filler...so what am I missing?

Most Reactions

Latest posts