Zuri making great progress!

TortoiseLady17

Mar 25, 2012
Jacksonville, Florida
Parrots
April - 32 year old Panama Amazon!
Zuri - 3 year old Congo African grey
George - 4 year old Panama Amazon
A week ago we adopted Zuri. The previous owner never pet him or let him out of the cage because he had bitten her and she was scared of him. He seems slightly cage aggressive, but once he iss off the cage we can pick him up and scratch his head. The last two days he has stepped up onto us from his cage door. Today he saw me coming and climbed down on to the door and waited for me to get him! I put him on the play stand and that was not close enough (about 4 feet away) so he few to the couch to sit with us! He really seems to enjoy just being with us! We are so happy with his progress, I just had to share!!!!:D

6270e783.jpg

Parrotmamma

May 2, 2012
Texas
Parrots
Crackers ~ a Green cheek conure , Cosmo~ a Timneh African Grey
That's wonderful ! sounds like he is really warming up to you :

Wulfgeist

Feb 1, 2012
Winchester area, VA
That is awesome! It is amazing how just with one bite they can actually cow people and manage to change the whole dynamic of a relationship of mutual trust. I am glad your "baby" is doing better and I won't be suprised to see a total 180 out of that bird for you.

BillsBirds

Jan 9, 2012
Largo, Florida
Parrots
Timneh African Grey (Bailey), Lovebird (Elvis)
Good to hear. When they initiate the relationship, it makes things so much easier. Good luck!

OP
T

TortoiseLady17

Mar 25, 2012
Jacksonville, Florida
Parrots
Tonight he stepped up onto my arm from his favorite perch INSIDE his cage! The more we work with the more I wonder if it was even cage aggression, and just he knew he could bully her and get away with it.

KatherineI

Mar 27, 2012
Media
Seattle, WA
Parrots
Loki (GCC) Sugar (Goffins)
Tonight he stepped up onto my arm from his favorite perch INSIDE his cage! The more we work with the more I wonder if it was even cage aggression, and just he knew he could bully her and get away with it.

That could also very much be it. I've seen it firsthand - being on the bullied end. Sometimes it's easy to let our fears get the best of us, especially if we are not prepared (mentally, emotionally) to handle anything they throw at us.

thebirdnerd

Dec 28, 2010
Parrots
Whitefaced Pied Male Tiel- official greeter at the Rainbow Bridge, forever in our hearts,
Turquoise Mutation IRN,
Congo African Grey- please come home to us,
Blue mutation IRN
He really is a beautiful grey..He seems comfortable in his new home...Its amazing how behaviors change once they get into a loving home. Good luck with him!

TREETREE

Mar 3, 2012
Pocatello Idaho
Parrots
had a green cheek conure and he died last July , I was so sad Now I am so blessed to have adopted a grey named Lucy 5 years old!!!
he is such a cutey and he looks so happy!!!!!! so happy for you, I think greys can feel emotions that we have and he feels your love and compassion for him

OP
T

TortoiseLady17

Mar 25, 2012
Jacksonville, Florida
Parrots
Thanks Treetree! He is doing so well. He says a good bit and makes a ton of different noises and sounds. He is settling right in and it already seems like he has just always been a part of the family.

Most Reactions