1 GCC or 2

Bradari

Oct 8, 2012
South Africa
Parrots
1Ysgcc Fidget
That is the question I am asking myself right now. im getting a new baby ysgcc today but im wondering if I shouldn't get 2 to keep each other company when I am at work etc.
or what other bird could I get as a companion for my baby, or should I rather stick to only him?

Please help me decide

Chelle

Aug 5, 2013
Parrots
CHEESECAKE (Pineapple~GCC) 2/4/14
This is a tough question. I have started my response several times and deleted it...lol

I have 2 that are in the same cage. I brought home the first one in July and then my daughter decided she wanted one as well. So now we have 2. I did not intend on them being in the same cage but that is the way it worked out. I have read that you run a risk of loosing your bond with your bird because they will bond together.

Ours did bond!!! But we are lucky that they also want to spend time with us as well. They have a very strong bond and it is amazing to watch them together. They do EVERYTHING together.

I would say from my experience that 2 is great because they have a companion. However, you run the risk of them not bonding with you. In our case they seem to be mates but we are still their flock.

Keep in mind that my daughter and I are almost always home because she has some medical issues that keep us from going out often. Our birds are in and out of their cage all day long. I am not sure if you would get the same results because you will be leaving them while you are at work.

Good Luck on making your decision!

KeroRocks

Feb 20, 2013
Massachusetts
Parrots
Sheldon-M- GCC |
Cooper -F--Yellow sided GCC | Dori -F- Blue Quaker | Marley -M- Sun Conure | Kero -M- Hahn's Macaw | Sam-M- CAG
|Yara -F- RFM | Boo -F- Red Rump parakeet
My green cheek bonded with the second bird I brought in and now bites the holy !&*#* out of me every time I try to hold him.

I can't hold either of them because they bonded so strongly together. I would bond VERY STRONGLY with the one before you consider a second.

Echo

Dec 7, 2009
USA
Parrots
Green Cheek Conures, Crimson Conures, CAG, Pionus, Budgies, Goffin Cockatoo
I agree I would first get only one and create a bond. 1 year later, add a second if you wish.
That is what I say to people who want to buy 2 from me at a time, I tell them to wait.

psittac

Oct 8, 2013
I asked this same question years ago when I got my gcc, never heard about adding one later or just forgot about it. I have had mine for 5 years and I feel that she spends to much time alone. I just started a thread about company for a gcc and the response I got from there was a pair of budgies could give her a presence of another bird.

I think it's to late to get a second one but I'd love her to have some company. A big thing that I heard was that a second bird will take what time you do have from the first bird. I don't have a lot of time and what I do have must go towards her, that's why I stressed in my post "something requiring little or no attention from me".

7THSIGN

Oct 15, 2012
Im no bird expert, but they are flock by nature. I had my GCC for over one year now and just introduced it with her new friend, a sun conure. Just keep close watch on them for the first couple of days. I didn’t put mine in the same cage right away until I made sure they got along together, allowing them to have contact with each other outside of the cage and with me close by. I did have to correct my GCC a couple of times when she got to rough. After a couple times of that she got the idea. Now they can't be without each other.

OP
Bradari

Bradari

Oct 8, 2012
South Africa
Parrots
1Ysgcc Fidget
well I went there with the intention of only getting 1 baby and well came home with 2. am hand rearing them both they are now 4 weeks old and the cutest things ever.

have named the older one Tango and the younger one Pringle. they were parent fed until coming home with me, but are doing very well with hand feeding. the breeder handled them a lot so they are also very used to human contact. will just have to hope that we can all bond well together.

And yes I do have hand rearing experience, have brought up 2 ringnecks, 4 cockatiels a Gcc and a sun conure before. all fit fat and healthy to this day with their respective families. (except the Gcc who sadly passed)

Most Reactions

Latest posts