20 year old Catalina Macaw! I have a few questions!?

OP
FeliciaMae

FeliciaMae

Jun 13, 2013
Mass
Parrots
Blue Crown Conure and a Catalina Macaw.
Yes a vet check up is definitely on the list! I've already spoken with Oscars vet and they said to get her in as soon as possible for nails and beak clipping because they're so overgrown. Thankfully her nails have gone down since we put a sand papery perch on and she uses it all the time.

She does have a green spot on the back of her head.

She doesn't like flashlights or camera flash so thats why all of my pictures are not clear.

OP
FeliciaMae

FeliciaMae

Jun 13, 2013
Mass
Parrots
Update!
Shes playing with her toys now and she's definitely warming up. Such a sweetie! I knew she loved to dance but I found out she likes nursery rhymes and softer music. maybe its soothing to her? I dont know but she definitely more relaxed and she let me pet her beak which I thought was nice.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
See, it just takes her awhile to get used to the idea...congrats on the progress!!!!!

OP
FeliciaMae

FeliciaMae

Jun 13, 2013
Mass
Parrots
Thanks I have another question regarding macaw behavior in general.
When their eyes go to "pin point" does that mean they're going to bite? OR does it mean they like you? Because the previous owner told us that when she does it it means she likes you, but i've read and heard that its a sigh that she's going to bite.

The only improvement since the last time I wrote is that she's talking more. I have a feeling she didn't have a good bond with her last owner because she screams "Shut up!" after she screams and then gets kind of anxiety ridden? you know?

She stepped up on me but she doesn't seem comfortable with my hands (I have real small hands) and will only step up on my wrist and she's been cutting back on stepping up. She lets me pet her head now and I continuously reward her for it.

I'm getting more worried because shes starting to lose feathers at her ankles! Ive noticed she has bad dry skin on her feet but we can't get her into a crate to get her to the vet yet! Any advice? I've been extremely dedicated to giving her time and love so I dont know what's stressing her out so bad.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
Birds learn to talk and say words but it doesn't mean their previous owners was not good to them! When they pin their eyes, it means they're excited! Doesn't necessary mean they're going to bite. They can bite when eyes are pinned when they're overly stimulated or upset. They're better on arms then on hands where they can get more grip like a perch. Try using a perch to get her into the crate! They start to chew off the feathers around ankles from anxiety or boredom. Have you try bathing her? Their feet would look somewhat flaky but it's normal. I really do suggest you seek help from someone locally that understands macaws and have them come over to give you some pointers. I have no issues with Lola here as the problems she was having in her previous home didn't exist in my home. Except a few exception like chewing her ankle feathers but we're working on it. But I've had my other macaw for 10 years so I understand them pretty good. It just takes time!

Alwese

Jul 25, 2010
Media
Jacksonville, Florida
Parrots
Clifford-Scarlet Macaw
Kayko- B&G Macaw
Doogie - Catalina Hybrid Macaw
Pinning of the eyes can occur when they are excited, but what it really is is the bird can change his focal point to a very specific area. His eyes are at least four times better than yours, but they have to be to survive in the wild. God equipped him with exactly what he needs. Pinning has a scarey appearance to it that we associate with getting bit, but they don't necessarily go hand in hand. It is always good to kind of "feel them out" before sticking your hand in their presence to see where their mind is at. Both my Doogie and Clifford can have momentary aggressive spikes that can change to docile in seconds. What they are thinking at that moment I just don't know.
I too have a 20 year old Catalina (Doogie) that is coming up on that 20th birthday on July 5th. Here is his picture: Click to enlarge

Last edited:

ZoeynHarley17

Jul 4, 2013
West Orange, NJ
Parrots
I have a beautiful Blue and Gold named Zoey (13) and a Harlequin named Harley (4)
Shes deff a Scarlet.. I have a harlequin, the picture is underneath. most harlequins have orange in them.

My blue and gold does the bitting as well, she usually does it when shes happy or excited, it makes her throw up or regurgitate which is usually a sign that they like you. I do discourage it tho.

just so you know, I got Zoey when she was 10 and her behavior was terrible, she was very aggressive, and didn't want anyone touching her, she was also a huge plucker. Ive reversed this behavior by spending as much time correcting it as possible. The feathers she plucked under her arms will never return but shes healthy and a huge lover, and has learned how to tell me what it is that she wants. I didn't have any experience when she got her, research and time saved her, and im sure your scarlet will do just fine.

shushu_mushu

Jul 6, 2013
Sofia, Bulgaria
Hello there..
last month i buy macaw and a little lady is 8years old.... i was in the same situation... i feel so worry about stress of new home. But if you give attention, favourite food and many love everything will be ok. Now my little lady is out of cage and sing.
I am sorry for bad English but its not my native:)

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Hello there..
last month i buy macaw and a little lady is 8years old.... i was in the same situation... i feel so worry about stress of new home. But if you give attention, favourite food and many love everything will be ok. Now my little lady is out of cage and sing.
I am sorry for bad English but its not my native:)

Beautifully said!!! And don't worry about your English, it's just fine. :)

And welcome to the forum!! :)

shushu_mushu

Jul 6, 2013
Sofia, Bulgaria
Dou you know how the big love begining. I ask last owner how he make shower (because its very important for bird). When we shower the lady, she was very happy and spread his wings.

OP
FeliciaMae

FeliciaMae

Jun 13, 2013
Mass
Parrots
Lacie came off her cage to hang out twice today. :D
It wasnt for very long, but its a work in progress.
Another quick question if nobody minds...
She will hold my finger gently at the tip of her beak and just hold it there and she'll drool all over it. lol At first I thought it was because she wanted my bright blue nail polish but then I realized she was holding her tongue to my skin. Is this normal?! She lets me pull away if I want to and everything so its not aggressive or anything like that. She'll try to grab my fingers and pull them to her too, at first I thought she was going to bite me but she wasnt.

OP
FeliciaMae

FeliciaMae

Jun 13, 2013
Mass
Parrots
1069859_10151713395722888_1140003237_n.jpg

Here's a blurry image of her exploring my couch today. :)

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
Just watch the finger thing she's doing...Lola started out grabbing my finger and does to me like what Lacie do to you....At the beginning it was cute and all, then she wouldn't stop, she's kinda OCD, kept going after my fingers cause she wants to feed them and one day she finally managed to regurgitate all over my fingers. Ever since then she will not leave my fingers alone and kept going after them, I have to hide my fingers under a pillow so she would leave them alone.

I'm happy to hear about your progress with Lacie, it's wonderful news!!! :)

MacawLoverOf3

Jun 23, 2013
Parrots
Jody
Kalea
Donovan
The finger holding is just a comfort thing for them. Just keep in mind that if something scares her she might bite and it could be a hard bite.

If you do allow her to hold your finger and the pressure is getting just a little too much, start teaching her not to do it so hard. Take your finger out and tell her the word you have chosen such as 'hurt' or 'gentle' so that she learns when you are telling her that word that it is too much pressure. She will learn quickly.

One thing Macs love is to pick up your finger with the beak and then sort of let it go. She will be telling you that she wants head scritches by doing this. Become the well trained hairless slave and things will get better every day.

kq_fan

Jun 26, 2013
Media
Seattle, Washington
Parrots
Lilo - Female Green Cheek Conure ~ Pal - male cockatiel ~ Pheobe - female cockatiel
She really looks like a Scarlet. Catalinas are usually orange on the front and blue on the back. Harliquins are so many different colors! I think a Scarlet! :)

OP
FeliciaMae

FeliciaMae

Jun 13, 2013
Mass
Parrots
Great News! :)

I've taken Lacie to the vet. Her health is perfect. But the vet said that she has a little bit of yeast? But nothing to worry about.

Lacie and I have grown a bond over the last couple of weeks. She will now step-up on me when she's in the mood to visit. She's giving me kisses and every time I sit near her cage and she is out on it she climbs down off of it and will wander around a bit! But only if i'm on the floor with her. She'll dance when people are around and I'm with her or shes in her cage.

She'll say "Hi!" and sometimes at night I can hear her mutter "I love you." (which I say to Oscar and her all the time) She says "Come on." Because Oscar keeps flying onto her cage (he's in for a wing clipping he's become quite the sir fly-a-lot) and I'm to short to reach the top of her cage so he has to walk over to me. (she's never tried biting him, still makes me nervous though)

I've taught her the cup trick where she has to flip the cup to get the treat. (I've also taught my Oscar this)

We got her nails cut at the vet! But thankfully in the mean time of getting her to trust me I've taught her how to enjoy playing with toys! So the vet didn't even have to trim her beak! :D

So yeah! she's getting comfortable! Her bond with me is getting strong to the point where she calls out to me veeeerrry loudly if I so much as turn my back to her. lol

Though she still has her nervous habits and a few behavioral issues but we're working on it. Slowly but surely.

OP
FeliciaMae

FeliciaMae

Jun 13, 2013
Mass
Parrots
Heres a few pictures of my babies!
Lacie before her trip to the vets! :)
1239912_10151808940262888_677630882_n.jpg

995912_10151732136412888_304477126_n.jpg

1001202_10151744545642888_778421032_n.jpg

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
Thanks for sharing the pictures!!!! I'm glad she's doing much better for you! Your training is paying off now. :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts