3 neglected parrots

CloudyDay

Oct 6, 2020
Hi
I regularly visit Birmingham Botanical gardens (UK), they have a few parrots.
Iā€™m really concerned about 3; 2 macaws and 1 cockatoo, 1 macaw has plucked its tail out and the cockatoo is on his own, he used to have a female companion who has passed away (a few months ago I think). His chest and shoulder feathers are very chewed up and a bit plucked.
They donā€™t have any toys in their enclosures and I am not convinced they plan on getting another companion for the cockatoo.

I have emailed them about it but got no response.

What can I do? I want to contact someone to get them out into better homes but I donā€™t know who I would contact.
Thankyou

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
The local humane society could be contacted, not sure how it works in the UK. Maybe start GO Fund Me or similar to collect funds to but them some toys. You'd think a botanical garden would have better sense than to let these parrots languish.

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots
Green cheek conure - Sydney (Syd) Hatched 2/2017
Would the local RSPCA be a starting point? Is there a local avian vet you could talk to who might have an idea of a way forward? A vet might have more sway with management if he/she was prepared to get involved if RSPCA not interested.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Just because they are pluckers doesn't mean they are neglecting them. Did they take them in as pluckers?

Do they have natural materials to chew on?

I would phone and set up a time to speak . And share your concerns about enrichment.

Thank you for being the parrots advocate in this situation. For not accepting this situation, and trying for change.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Oy..pluckers...especially cockatoos...notorious...I would look into species specific rescues around you. Plucking can be (but isn't always) an indicator of any neglect (at least not in the typical sense). Cockatoos (esp u2S AND M2S) REALLY struggle with captivity of any kind in many cases (especially u2s and m2s)--cockatoos are the most re-homed species as a whole, but U2S are at the top.
plucking can be very deep-seated...like a compulsion/addiction- like cutting in humans...now, not saying that they all do it- I *knock on wood* stopped Noodles, BUT humans are very poorly equipped to have u2s and m2s as pets.. they are more like cracked out kids w/ VERY special/specific needs (emotionally and environmentally).

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts