6 weeks?

IolaniAviary

Aug 2, 2011
Parrots
Lovebirds- Mango, Spyros, Ele, Aonani
Cockatiels- Pineki
Quakers- Maggie
Conures- Paco
Your bird is not 6 weeks, more likely 4-5 weeks old. The bird will be hungry, but should be just fine. Part of the responsibility of deciding to hand-feed is sacrificing certain things to take care of your bird. If you didn't eat for 12 hours you'd be hungry too, but no, you wouldn't die.

IolaniAviary

Aug 2, 2011
Parrots
Cockatiels- Pineki
Quakers- Maggie
Conures- Paco
So then your not leaving for another two weeks? You were told the bird was two weeks, and I told you it was actually four. Unless your not leaving for another two weeks, your bird will not be that old.

OP
M

MilitaryBrat

Aug 21, 2011
It hatched on Aug. 2nd and I velieve the girl.I don't see why she would lie to me about it being younger.If anything she'd lie to me about it being older to get rid of it quicker.It'll 5 weeks and 4 days.About to be 6 weeks.

IolaniAviary

Aug 2, 2011
Parrots
Cockatiels- Pineki
Quakers- Maggie
Conures- Paco
The story keeps changing....

You said the bird was two weeks old, but the picture CLEARLY shows the bird is at LEAST 4 weeks old. Now the bird is 5 weeks and 4 days and you have a hatch date? How does that work? The breeder already proved they are incompetent of breeding by selling an un-weaned chick to someone with no experience.

OP
M

MilitaryBrat

Aug 21, 2011
I said he was 2 1/2 weeks old when I first got him and started posting on here.I didn't post that picture till weeks later so yeah, he was around 4 weeks old when I did and its been over a week since i posted that picture so he'll be 6 weeks soon.And I email the girl some still and asked her the the hatch date.

IolaniAviary

Aug 2, 2011
Parrots
Cockatiels- Pineki
Quakers- Maggie
Conures- Paco
You posted saying the bird was two weeks on 8/21 (I'm not talking about half a week differences) and that you just brought it home that day. You posted on 8/25 with pictures. So the bird would have not even been 3 weeks old. When you posted those images I told you there was no way the bird was that young, try at least 4 weeks maybe more. You agreed and said that you thought she was wrong too.

Now you know the exact hatch date, you didn't get the bird that day, the pictures were a week old? Ok...

OP
M

MilitaryBrat

Aug 21, 2011
Let me ask you something beside the point right now real quick.

Whatever week he is, 6 or 7, Is it normal for him to be hardly eating any formula at all and eating seeds and millet?He never wants to eat his formula except like once in the middle of the day he'll eat around 8ccs but any other time ai try to feed him and he'll take just one bite.He does eats seeds and millet now but im worried that he isn't getting enough to eat because he doesn't open the seeds as fast as others and im not sure if hes drinking water much.I haven't seen him drink water but his water is dirty after I check on him a few times so i dunno.Hes super active though and everything.

IolaniAviary

Aug 2, 2011
Parrots
Cockatiels- Pineki
Quakers- Maggie
Conures- Paco
Ok, the problem is the millet. Millet is a treet, not a food group. You should be offering pellet and seed around the clock. An only seed diet is NOT healthy for a Lovebird in any shape, way, or form. You should also be offering fresh fruits and veggies.

As long as you see him eating, it's completely normal for them to start stepping away from the formula. Make sure you keep offering feedings until he excepts no more then 1 or 2 cc's. This is very important, I've had chicks revert when I've thought they were weaned and I had to go back and do a couple more days. You really don't want the bird off formula completely until mid week 7.

Most Reactions