7 month old male Ecclectus

Mamawise

Jan 4, 2022
Parrots
Male Ecclectus
Hello πŸ’š
My male Ecclectus, Percy is 7 months old now and doing very well!
I’m just wondering how much to feed him everyday. He eats A LOT
I make a mix of chopped veggies and salad with a little variety of cooked chick peas pasta or garbonzo beans or a keto type granola etc. Ithe morning his bowl is filled about 3/4 full. His pellet bowl is filled about half way with TOPS pellets. He eats the fresh food down to the bottom of the bowl. Some of it thrown on the floor. He eats almost all the pellets. Around 2-4pm he is on his bowl asking (yelling) for more food. So I add a smaller amount of the same meal and pellets.
I need to get a scale. But I’m general is this the right amount of food?
I’ve heard he may be in a growth spurt and that this might slow down??
Thank you so much for your help :)

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
Hello πŸ’š
My male Ecclectus, Percy is 7 months old now and doing very well!
I’m just wondering how much to feed him everyday. He eats A LOT
I make a mix of chopped veggies and salad with a little variety of cooked chick peas pasta or garbonzo beans or a keto type granola etc. Ithe morning his bowl is filled about 3/4 full. His pellet bowl is filled about half way with TOPS pellets. He eats the fresh food down to the bottom of the bowl. Some of it thrown on the floor. He eats almost all the pellets. Around 2-4pm he is on his bowl asking (yelling) for more food. So I add a smaller amount of the same meal and pellets.
I need to get a scale. But I’m general is this the right amount of food?
I’ve heard he may be in a growth spurt and that this might slow down??
Thank you so much for your help :)
I'm no expert, but I think ekkies shouldn't normally have pellets? I'll tag some ekkie owners, though. @kme3388 @chris-md

Another thing to remember is that all birds have their own individual weight. I know a certain YouTube/website likes to restrict food when their bird is over a very specific (usually low) weight, which isn't healthy.

Last edited:

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
Nico my Ekkie does eat pellets but it’s a prescription. It is made by roudybush. From what his vet said it’s a very easily digestible pellet for his medical issues. He mostly makes it into powder, and I did make his vet aware that Nico likes to play with his food. Because Nico’s vet is involved with parrot shelters/sanctuary’s she’s aware of how parrots are.

Yes, Nico also has his chop/veggies, and treats which consist of almond slices. He will also share an apple with me, or steal grapes from me.

I will say it looks like Nico eats all day every day but a majority of the time he is playing with his food more then he is actually eating it. Not to mention he sucks the juice out of most things, and leaves the skins. The only true way to tell if a bird is eating consistently is tracking their weight.

OP
M

Mamawise

Jan 4, 2022
Parrots
Male Ecclectus
Nico my Ekkie does eat pellets but it’s a prescription. It is made by roudybush. From what his vet said it’s a very easily digestible pellet for his medical issues. He mostly makes it into powder, and I did make his vet aware that Nico likes to play with his food. Because Nico’s vet is involved with parrot shelters/sanctuary’s she’s aware of how parrots are.

Yes, Nico also has his chop/veggies, and treats which consist of almond slices. He will also share an apple with me, or steal grapes from me.

I will say it looks like Nico eats all day every day but a majority of the time he is playing with his food more then he is actually eating it. Not to mention he sucks the juice out of most things, and leaves the skins. The only true way to tell if a bird is eating consistently is tracking their weight.
Hi Thank you for this info! It is interesting that Percy turns his pellets into powder also. So maybe he is really not eating a lot of them, mainly just chewing them. I do have to get a scale asap. He feels the same weight on my hand everyday. He is really happy too. How many times a day do you feed Nico?

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
I feed Nico his pellets twice a day I only give him about a 1/2 a tablespoon of that each time. I've been sprinkling his gut flora stuff made by harrison's on his pellets. I give Nico about a half a cup of chop a day. I give him a piece of homemade apple cookie which I put his medication on now. @Terry57 made the recipe. It's great because the base is made of sweet potatoes which has vitamin k. I live in Minnesota which all it's done here lately is rain, and we have winter :(. Nico needs his vitamins sense he can't go outdoors when it's cold. He get's about 3-5 almond slices a day I just pick those up at walmart in the baking section. He'll usually scream if he is still hungry, and wants more. Usually he is full with this amount of food.

Last edited:

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
My Ekko gets a tbsp of Tropimix pellets every night, it's his overnight dish and he doesn't end up eating much, but it's there for him.
He gets fresh chop twice a day and a little warmed veggies in the afternoon. He eats quite a bit.

I feed Nico his pellets twice a day I only give him about a 1/2 a tablespoon of that each time. I've been sprinkling his gut flora stuff made by harrison's on his pellets. I give Nico about a half a cup of chop a day. I give him a piece of homemade apple cookie which I put his medication on now. @Terry57 made the recipe. It's great because the base is made of sweet potatoes which has vitamin d. I live in Minnesota which all it's done here lately is rain, and we have winter :(. Nico needs his vitamin d. He get's about 3-5 almond slices a day I just pick those up at walmart in the baking section. He'll usually scream if he is still hungry, and wants more. Usually he is full with this amount of food.

I'm so happy that Nico likes the cookie recipe! What a perfect way to get birds to take their meds, I will have to remember that.
I'm in Alberta and feel your pain about the Vitamin D:(

tacocaTEclectus

Mar 22, 2022
Parrots
tacocaT the Eclectus hatched 9/16/22
I give my ekkie (8 month male) about 50 grams of chop twice a day plus a tablespoon of roudybush pellets that are free from artificial additives. I don’t restrict his food at all. He always has leftovers. He’s a very trim 320 grams. He should hopefully top out around 325-350 grams full grown. He’s gained about 5 grams in the month I’ve had him.

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
8541A5A4-133D-4BCC-94B6-BFC0C4A6558A.jpeg

For weight I was always told to weigh in the morning first thing after Nico goes to the bathroom, and before he eats…. Nico likes to store food under his tongue I tried to get a photo of it. He packs food in there. Who knows why?!?! Because he can πŸ˜‚

Most Reactions