8 months old Orange amazon

raja

Dec 26, 2012
Hello, I am new to this community and already have a question.. can i buy 8 month old Amazon parrot.. he is not tammed yet but I would like to tame the bird when I have it... is it possible to tame him.. please advise.. thanks

Possible YES, something you want to take a chance on? NO. Find a tame ,handfed baby. If you had history with zons before or other large parrots , and knew what challenges faced you ? You wouldn't be asking us. That in it's self is a red flag. Parent raised zons can be a real challenge. Excuse my manners, Welcome and thank you for joining the forum. You'll be a great "parront" , join in the forum and learn about companion parrots. Of course i'm assuming this is your first bird. Start a new thread in the amazon section and give us history and pictures. It all depends on you and that first meeting with a new bird. Do you feel like you "click"? If you do , then anything is possible and probable. Nothing like the bond of a amazon.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum:)

I agree with Henpecked, An untamed Zon could be avery big challenge to anyone! It would take alot of time and total dedication on your part.... but if you are willing to do this, then go for it... If not, then maybe go for a hand reared Baby.

What makes the 8 month old amazon not tamed? Was this bird hand raised or parent raised?

Any bird, at any age, can be tamed, although adult birds, large parrots, and even amazons may be more difficult to tame without the right training. The amazon is still pretty young though.

If the bird is parent raised, then it would be easier to work with a hand raised bird. If the bird was hand raised, well, that may depend on your experience, what you are willing to learn as well as your commitment. Amazons can make excellent companions for the right people! But they simply aren't for everyone!

thank you guys for your responses... NO its not my first bird.. in the past i hv raised a cockatiel.. i had the bird since he was a few weeks old.. and i actually hand fed the formula.. but NO i have not been with a big bird... so any suggestions on how to proceed taming would be greatly appreciated...or if you know any links to videos that will show me how to.... thank you again everyone... I will upload the fotos soon... thanks

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back