Hi im new to the forum

elicastro3000

Dec 26, 2012
PA
Parrots
Hahn's Macaw
HI im Eli, im new to the forum, i figured i would join because i got my first parrot. I have always wanted a parrot but never found a friendly one at a good price. I work at a pet store and we recently got a hahn's macaw, it would bite and leap from the other side of the cage to attack people, except for me, he liked it when i would pet him and feed him treats, so i took him home. He has his DNA papers, he is a 1 year old male. He is a good bird so far, ive only had him for 2 days. He will bite anyone but me, i hope to change that but im not sure how. he can say a handful of sounds and words. He steps up when he feels like it, and he goes strait for my shoulder and doesnt want to come down ever, he also rubs his beak on my shoulders and calls out REALLY loud, im not sure what that means. But he does like to cuddle with me when he stops screaming. If anybody has any advice on stepping up/down and socialization that would be great, and if anybody knows how to teach him tricks i would love to know how.
Thank you.

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new baby:)

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Welcome to ParrotForums!

As far as behavior, might I recommend Barbara Heidenreich and Melinda Johnson?

Barbara Heidnreich has some great books and DVD's on parrot training. You can do all the reading you want on how to train a parrot, but nothing beats really seeing it in action! And she has some great blogs, too!
Training Parrots | Parrot Training DVDS & Books
Good Bird Inc Parrot Training Talk

Melinda Johnson's Clicker Training Kit or Book
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Clicker-Training-Birds-Getting-Started/dp/B00674IIAC/]Amazon.com: Clicker Training for Birds: Getting Started Kit: Pet Supplies[/ame]

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Clicker-Training-Birds-Getting-Started/dp/1890948152/]Clicker Training for Birds (Getting Started): Melinda Johnson: 9781890948153: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]

Here's a couple of other blogs that all have great information in them!
Lara Joseph
Living With Parrots Cage Free

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Gilbert Oliver, Blue Crown Conure; Georgie, Sun Conure (2/8/01-8/8/12) RIP little girl; Percy, budgie 1993-1999. RIP Pepito-spanish timbrado canary
oh i also want to see pics! i love little hahns macaws!! congratulations!!

Most Reactions

Latest posts