A bubbly poop?

MissyMe83

Nov 29, 2011
Indiana
Parrots
Tate ~~
White Capped Pionus -
Violet ~~ Yellow Naped Amazon - Jupiter ~~ Baby B&G Macaw (coming soon)
We had Tate out this morning loving on him...he eventually pooped on the couch and I noticed it was bubbly. I was alarmed because I've never seen a poop like that before. I did some google searches but keep coming up with different answers.

Anyone? I'm eagerly awaiting him to go again so I can inspect it.

One site said it could just be gas, another said a sign of infection.... ???

Obviously if he does it again we'll be visiting the vet.... Just wondered if anyone else had seen or dealt with this before.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Has he had a wreck/crash lately ? Could be gas or injury to airsac (one of the lower ones). If it persist contact the vet.

OP
MissyMe83

MissyMe83

Nov 29, 2011
Indiana
Parrots
Tate ~~
White Capped Pionus -
No, no recent crashes. The second poop I saw looked pretty normal, but I'm still watching. He preened himself for a good half an hour, had a snack (pellets), played with a new toy, and is now taking a nap. I'm going to watch him closely the rest of the day.

Thanks for the reply Henpecked. I'm glad that you too mentioned that it "could" be gas....

BillsBirds

Jan 9, 2012
Largo, Florida
Parrots
Timneh African Grey (Bailey), Lovebird (Elvis)
Occasionally I have seen bubbly poop in older birds. There was never any other issues. Probably just gas. But, wise to keep an eye on him.

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
nut will have bubbles in her poop, every now an again, especially her morning one if its delayed, because we got up late etc
but they always clear by poop 2

also when she's had a sneaky rich (fatty) bed time treat

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
It is always best to take note of our birds droppings. Bubbly faeces can also be symtoms of a problem like PBFD, enteritis or giardia. Each change from normal can be a clue to a different disease process which maybe affecting part of the digestive system, the liver and/or the pancreas. It is important for you to be alert for such changes & to recognise that prompt veterinary investigation & treatment could be life saving.

That said it could also be nothing to worry about as already said by other members.

OP
MissyMe83

MissyMe83

Nov 29, 2011
Indiana
Parrots
Tate ~~
White Capped Pionus -
PBFD, enteritis or giardia. Each change from normal can be a clue to a different disease process which maybe affecting part of the digestive system, the liver and/or the pancreas. It is important for you to be alert for such changes & to recognise that prompt veterinary investigation & treatment could be life saving.

Thanks Pedro.... I've been watching and haven't seen another odd poop, BUT are their other symptoms that would or could be present with any of the above mentioned issues??

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
My moto is if it goes away & doesn't come back then usually all is ok. Could mean just something they ate. I have had that happen before with my birds. I watch them closely & if everything returns to normal i don't worry, if the problem continues for more than 12 to 24 hours then i panic.

You know your Tate better than any of us. If he is eating & doing what he normally does then i would think it's nothing.

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
Ok, fellow members, I must ask: Can a bird make noise when it passes gas? Last night, about 2 hours after the birds went to bed, I heard a very loud "fart" noise come from Rowdy's cage. A few minutes later it happened again. It wasn't me or the cat! It seems to me I heard the same last fall, and at that time I had wondered if she had learned to imitate that sound. But, she hasn't done it since until last night. I've never heard her doing this before though and we've been together a long time.

Most Reactions