A cockatile mises his abuse Rosella's friends.

amandamincis

Aug 7, 2022
Parrots
The parrot whith the red cheeks
2 pale heded rosellas
Hello! I have a 7-year-old male cockatiel named Tom. I also have two rosellas, male and female. They never had any fights. I'd say they had no hard feelings for each other, even in the spring. At first, I had two cages, but Tome would only get in Rosella's cage and only get in his cage to eat. So since they didn't mind Tom sleeping and spending all of his time in their cage, I decided to get rid of the second cage and just leave one cage for all three of them. The cage is big, and they would often be let out of the cage. For a while, they didn't have any bad feelings for each other, and Tom had no issues living in their cage. Even in spring. However, recently they had a big fight. Tom got injured, and a lot of his feathers were ripped out. Because of this, I started seperating them, but no matter what I do each time I open the cage, the first thing Tom does is go to their cage, which would lead to Rosellas attacking him. They clearly dislike Tom, but Tom just doesn't get it. He keeps returning to their cage, even after 2 weeks of holding him in his own new cage. I did this so he would understand that this is his new home, but he just doesn't want to stay there. While he's in the cage, he seems to enjoy it. He's playing with the toys and eating the food, but the moment I let him out, he's on to there cage and sits there. I do a rotation. In the mornings, Rosella's get out of the cage, and in the afternoons, Tom gets out of his cage. At night, I would lock them in their cages, but the longer this cycle goes, the more and more Tom just rebels and even skips his treats just to avoid getting back in the cage for the night. I know it's bad, but at this point, Tom is just not obeying me anymore, and he started to attack me when I tried to get him in the cage for the night. There is no way I will let him interact with Rosellas again because I know the outcome, so I have made the decision to put them in separate rooms. It's been a week, and now he's more "resonable" (just goes in the cage for the night and doesn't attack me when the time to go to sleep is). But now he has started to rip out his feathers (or so I think). There are a lot of feathers in his cage, way more than there were before, and I am worried about him. I can't let him with rosellas because he becomes wild and disobedient, but he's also clearly depressed and feels really lonely now when he's not around Rosella's.

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Hello! I have a 7-year-old male cockatiel named Tom. I also have two rosellas, male and female. They never had any fights. I'd say they had no hard feelings for each other, even in the spring. At first, I had two cages, but Tome would only get in Rosella's cage and only get in his cage to eat. So since they didn't mind Tom sleeping and spending all of his time in their cage, I decided to get rid of the second cage and just leave one cage for all three of them. The cage is big, and they would often be let out of the cage. For a while, they didn't have any bad feelings for each other, and Tom had no issues living in their cage. Even in spring. However, recently they had a big fight. Tom got injured, and a lot of his feathers were ripped out. Because of this, I started seperating them, but no matter what I do each time I open the cage, the first thing Tom does is go to their cage, which would lead to Rosellas attacking him. They clearly dislike Tom, but Tom just doesn't get it. He keeps returning to their cage, even after 2 weeks of holding him in his own new cage. I did this so he would understand that this is his new home, but he just doesn't want to stay there. While he's in the cage, he seems to enjoy it. He's playing with the toys and eating the food, but the moment I let him out, he's on to there cage and sits there. I do a rotation. In the mornings, Rosella's get out of the cage, and in the afternoons, Tom gets out of his cage. At night, I would lock them in their cages, but the longer this cycle goes, the more and more Tom just rebels and even skips his treats just to avoid getting back in the cage for the night. I know it's bad, but at this point, Tom is just not obeying me anymore, and he started to attack me when I tried to get him in the cage for the night. There is no way I will let him interact with Rosellas again because I know the outcome, so I have made the decision to put them in separate rooms. It's been a week, and now he's more "resonable" (just goes in the cage for the night and doesn't attack me when the time to go to sleep is). But now he has started to rip out his feathers (or so I think). There are a lot of feathers in his cage, way more than there were before, and I am worried about him. I can't let him with rosellas because he becomes wild and disobedient, but he's also clearly depressed and feels really lonely now when he's not around Rosella's.
Oh that's sad to read about.
Ripping out its feathers is a horrible thing.
How about if you put the two cages beside each other so that the tiel can always be looking at the pretty Rosella's.
Getting another tiel might be a good idea to keep Tom company.

Tell me more about the Rosella's.
Their awesome to spot in the wild here in Australia. Usually very shy birds and hard to spot.
What type of Rosella's are yours?
What are they like to keep?

OP
A

amandamincis

Aug 7, 2022
Parrots
2 pale heded rosellas
How about if you put the two cages beside each other so that the tiel can always be looking at the pretty Rosella's.

Their awesome to spot in the wild here in Australia. Usually very shy birds and hard to spot.
Thanks for the advice. I will definitely try this out.

So about my pale-headed Rosella's. They are definitely harder than cockatiles. I have two of them, but they are completely different from each other. The female rosella named Nezuko is very friendly; she loves attention, and she is the reason why I need to hide cables and any sight of paper. She's an absolute rat, and if I touch something, she wants it too. I really love her. HOWEWER The male Rosella Goldors is the complete opposite.

He's shy; he hates my guts and is very skeptical of anything I do. He's so shy, and I need to turn off the light to close the cage because otherwise Goldors would fly out of the cage when I got near.

They are from the same breeder, but both are so different.

They eat the same things as cockatiles, but they are bigger and heavier than cockatiles. I had wooden branches that had a wooden base, and they worked just fine for Tom, but Goldor and Nezuko kept pushing the branches down, so I needed to put stone blocks on the bottom. They are harder to tame and don't trust me as much as a cockatile. But when they are tamed, there isn't much difference from the cockatile.

Also, I don't know if it's only for my pare or if it's for other rosellas too, but my female rosella has just a pale head, but the male has a pale head with a pale neck.

Attachments

• 20230803_105411.jpg
    20230803_105411.jpg
    391.2 KB · Views: 19
  • 20230803_105419.jpg
    20230803_105419.jpg
    234.2 KB · Views: 20
  • 20230803_105436.jpg
    20230803_105436.jpg
    311.2 KB · Views: 19

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Thanks for the advice. I will definitely try this out.

So about my pale-headed Rosella's. They are definitely harder than cockatiles. I have two of them, but they are completely different from each other. The female rosella named Nezuko is very friendly; she loves attention, and she is the reason why I need to hide cables and any sight of paper. She's an absolute rat, and if I touch something, she wants it too. I really love her. HOWEWER The male Rosella Goldors is the complete opposite.

He's shy; he hates my guts and is very skeptical of anything I do. He's so shy, and I need to turn off the light to close the cage because otherwise Goldors would fly out of the cage when I got near.

They are from the same breeder, but both are so different.

They eat the same things as cockatiles, but they are bigger and heavier than cockatiles. I had wooden branches that had a wooden base, and they worked just fine for Tom, but Goldor and Nezuko kept pushing the branches down, so I needed to put stone blocks on the bottom. They are harder to tame and don't trust me as much as a cockatile. But when they are tamed, there isn't much difference from the cockatile.

Also, I don't know if it's only for my pare or if it's for other rosellas too, but my female rosella has just a pale head, but the male has a pale head with a pale neck.
Ohh pale headed Rosella's... Nice
Yes they are a bit bigger than tiels.
They are from the north east of Australia so I've never seen one. Crimson and eastern Rosella's reside in my area further south.

There are some parks where the birds have gotten used to humans feeding them. Wild crimson rosellas will perch on you for food.

It's hard to say "this species of bird does this" because they are so individual. I hope your birds make peace again

BourkeHaven

Jul 13, 2023
Parrots
Bourkes
Could you get another tiel that yours could live with like he did the rosellas? That could give him the direct company he's craving.

widor

Aug 23, 2021
Media
Hungary
Parrots
2 Green Check Conures,2 linolated parakeets- RIP, 2 kakariki
If you can manage and seeing Tom is so desperate for a friend I would try to get him another tiel .

Greenhouseparrots

Nov 27, 2022
UK
Parrots
Crimson bellied conure- Tequila
Greencheek conure- Sierra
Pearled cockatiel- Malibu
Cockatiel- Volkan
Yellow budgies- Pina Colada and Houdini
Blue budgie- Lightning
White and blue budgie- Ciroc
Doesn't always work guys my tiels don't get along
I'll second this. I had a female tiel and rescued a male and she hates him, but he loves her. They get on now, a year after I got him, but they're not exactly friends. She tolerates him, and he's learnt to give her space so they can share a cage, but I know she would be happier if she could share a cage with her conure friend and he would do better with a tiel that actually likes him.

OP
A

amandamincis

Aug 7, 2022
Parrots
2 pale heded rosellas
Hello! I don't want to buy a new tale because I don't have a 3. cage if they don't get a long.

also an update for them. Now that I have changed some things in my room, I can finally hold both cages beside each other. I can't let all 3 of them outside at once, so I still do the cycle where from morning till lunch Toms are outside and from lunch till afternoon Rosellas are outside. They don't seem to mind this cycle.Tom is finally getting back in the cage with no problems and doesn't mind sitting in his cage. Rossellas still want to kill him, but after 10 minutes they usually lose interest in Tom and his cage and start doing their own thing, so for now I don't think of chaining anything.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.

Poor Tom! I'd try getting Tom his own friend that likes him, like another tiel.

Most Reactions

Latest posts