May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
Many people ignore their budgie's body language cuz they're small, and can't bite very hard. THIS IS ABUSE AND IM TIRED OF SEEING PEOPLE DOING IT!! So may I present to you.....BUDGIE BODY LANGUAGE MEANINGS!!!!!

Lunge with beak open: Your budgie is giving you a warning that you are not paying attention to what it's trying to tell you. It can also be that they are jelly of another bird getting all the attention.

Lunge with beak closed: Most of the time, this means your budgie is tryna get someones attention. My budgie Picasso however, just does it for fun.

Bite: STOP PUSHING THEIR BUTTONS!!!!! Rarely, this is used to play.

Running their beak along something: They are investigating it. My budgies do this with my finger all the time, however if you just misted them, they may be trying to lick off water droplets, just for the fun of it!!

Fluffing up and chirping: Your bird is relaxed and happy!

Sleeping: Dont disturb your budgie! Parrots often take naps during the day as well as at night. If your budgie sleeps all the time, it might be sick, so take it to the vet.

Squabbling: This is a natural thing budgies do with each other, however if it gets truly violent, seperate them and give them time to cool off.

Feathers smoothed back: This means your budgie is uncertian or scared.

This is basic budgie body language. If anyone has questions about any other body language and what it means, please feel free to ask! I would rather you know.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
It is not surprising that there are many like behaviors with larger Parrots.

Not sure why Humans elect not to pay attention after all a bite is a bite and if one can simply pay attention and avoid them, life has to be better.

Thank-you for providing the list.

OP
π•Ύπ–™π–”π–—π–’π–žπ•»π–Žπ–ˆπ–†
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
Thank you!!! The worst thing ever is when people treat budgies differently because they can't bite super hard. I have seen horribly impatient, uneducated people trying to 'tame' them, it usally ends up with at least mild psycological damage for the poor birds.

WallyBird5

Jul 7, 2021
Parrots
Wally is the only birb right now, I do want a friend for him at some point
More body language I know of is when the bird is with you, more tightly-gripping feet tend to mean the bird is nervous, and gentler feet mean its calm

Most Reactions