A new Quaker vocalization type

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I’ve been noticing a new type of noise from Willow while he’s hanging out or playing in his cage and I’m in my bedroom out of his sight. He can hear me and sometimes I say hi or talk to both birds. Lucy used to make this noise but Willow didn’t until the last week or so.

The new noise is an addition to a scolding “rrawk, rrrawk! (High pitch) Goo goo Goo goo goo goo-goo (lower pitch and falling).” Lucy made this noise in past and the first part (rrawk!) is definitely scolding, but the “goo goo” part seems like an addition or comment on it.

Lucy used to sing using this “goo goo” noise. The “goo” is guttural and not a really clean “g” sound. But those “goos” changed pitch and tempo and seemed to be her version of “la la” (do you hear me, I’m singing too!). She couldn’t carry a tune in a bucket and would make me laugh and mess up my choral practice. She would sway and rock her head like Stevie Wonder. She loved vocal music and was generally a Big Ham.

Maybe Willow will decide to sing “goo” back to my singing. He is making more and more noise. I’m glad. A quiet Quaker is concerning. Along with anything else, he could be plotting.

Have you heard this noise? What is it ? Seems almost like an “I’m talking to myself after screeching”. Like “damnit, damnit, “this stupid thing won’t work” from a human trying to fix something. ??

(The “rrawk= dammit” and “goo goo…= stupid thing won’t work”. Rrawk is an exclamation.)

Last edited:
OP
HeatherG

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
if you can record it , I'll let you know.
Ok! I’ll record it soon. Not sure how well it will come through since I am normally not in the same room with him when he makes the noise.

It’s an “in the cage alone talking to myself and getting worked up” sort of noise. The “goo” could be spelled “doo” and be as accurate. Almost a cross between “g” and “d” sounds.

Most Reactions

Latest posts