LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Are you sure there aren't so many spelling/grammar mistakes? (except for the mentioned ones)
Recently one person said me my grammar is terrible... but I hope it was just because I was so tired then... in other case prob I'll give up it
Don't give it up Roz, your grammar is way better than most Aussies that I know!

If there was one tiny bit you might correct though, maybe in your photo credits where you say "I own work (rosa)", might sound better as "my own work (rosa)" :)

Bourke'sroz.png

OP
Rozalka

Rozalka

May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
Don't give it up Roz, your grammar is way better than most Aussies that I know!

If there was one tiny bit you might correct though, maybe in your photo credits where you say "I own work (rosa)", might sound better as "my own work (rosa)" :)

View attachment 33086
It was supposed to be "and own work". After publishing I noticed that mistake - "i" is a single word which I forgot to translate to English :ROFLMAO: How? Because first I did a Polish version
(similar before lutino - there's also untranslated "and")

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Either one works just fine, Roz :)

OP
Rozalka

Rozalka

May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Thanks. I still don't know how I missed this "i" two times... I can understand why between "yellow pastel" and "lutino" - cos many mutations are called the same in both languages and could not notice such short word...

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Thanks. I still don't know how I missed this "i" two times... I can understand why between "yellow pastel" and "lutino" - cos many mutations are called the same in both languages and could not notice such short word...
Your highly intelligent brain was busy making sure the more important technical details were correct, Roz, that's why :)

OP
Rozalka

Rozalka

May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Thank you Martina :)
My biggest doubts are about descriptions of parrot types in general - in both grammatically and if that's true. I thought I'll copy all of them here:
Psephotellus, Bourkes, grass parrots:
In general these parakeets are calm. Some species are so quiet and their voice is friendly. Some people say that red rumped parrots are the best parrot singers.
They are hard to tame.

"Other parrots" category:
no description (at this moment only eclectus is there, in Polish version also budgie and monk parakeet)

Macaws:
They are the biggest parrots (the biggest three species: hyacinth, green-winged and Buffon's macaws).
Except taxonomic classification, there also is a division by their size. Mini-macaws are much smaller and are easier in taking care (but they still aren't easy).
The voice is loud.

subfamily Psittacinae (African parrots):
Two genera belong to Psittacinae: Psittacus and Poicephalus.
Timneh & Congo grey parrots (Psittacus) are one of the most inteligent parrots (however they aren't "number 1") and one of the species with best mimic skills (next to Amazons). If you decide to take them you have to remember about their negative features and they won't always learn talking. They often are attached to just one owner.
Poicephalus parrots are quite quiet (remember, it is a relative concept - they also scream). The most common species of this genus is the Senegal parrot.

Cockatoos:
Characteristic features of cockatoos:
- a crest on the head, which they may fold and unfold depending on their mood
- they powder
- eggs are incubated by both parents
- they are social, inteligent
- they aren't quiet (the loudest one is Moluccan cockatoo)
Cockatiels are a bit different species. They are quieter and smaller than other cockatoos

Lovebirds:
They sometimes are colloquially called as "lovies" or "LB's".
They are small parrots but really aggressive.

Conures:
Conures are very social. They often love biting fingers, ears etc. In the wild they sleep in tree hollows, unlike most other parrots.
Bigger conures (like Aratinga genus) are louder than smaller ones (like Pyrrhura).

If anybody wants to add/correct something, you can write here. It's the only thing I can edit.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
In general these parakeets are calm. Some species are so quiet and their voice is friendly. Some people say that red rumped parrots are the best parrot singers.
They are hard to tame.

no description (at this moment only eclectus is there, in Polish version also budgie and monk parakeet)

Macaws:
They are the biggest parrots (the biggest three species: hyacinth, green-winged and Buffon's macaws).
Except taxonomic classification, there also is a division by their size. Mini-macaws are much smaller and are easier to care for (but they still aren't easy).
The voice is loud.

Timneh & Congo grey parrots (Psittacus) are one of the most intelligent parrots (however they aren't "number 1") and one of the species with the best mimicry skills (next to Amazons). If you decide to keep them you have to remember their negative features and they won't always learn to talk. They often are attached to just one owner.
Poicephalus parrots are quite quiet (remember, it is a relative concept - they also scream). The most common species of this genus is the Senegal parrot.

Cockatoos:
- a crest on the head, which they may fold or unfold, depending on their mood
- they produce powder down
- they are social and intelligent
Cockatiels are a different species. They are quieter and smaller than other cockatoos

Lovebirds:
They sometimes are colloquially known as "lovies" or "LB's".

Conures:
Conures are very social. They often love biting fingers, ears etc. In the wild they sleep in tree hollows, unlike most other parrots.
Bigger conures (like Aratinga genus) are louder than smaller ones (like Pyrrhura).

-------------------------------------------

Just a few very minor tweaks and spelling corrections Roz, I've put them in bold italics for you :)

OP
Rozalka

Rozalka

May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
They are hard to tame.

Macaws:
Except taxonomic classification, there also is a division by their size. Mini-macaws are much smaller and are easier to care for (but they still aren't easy).
The voice is loud.

Timneh & Congo grey parrots (Psittacus) are one of the most intelligent parrots (however they aren't "number 1") and one of the species with the best mimicry skills (next to Amazons). If you decide to keep them you have to remember their negative features and they won't always learn to talk. They often are attached to just one owner.

Cockatoos:
Cockatiels are a different species. They are quieter and smaller than other cockatoos

Lovebirds:
They sometimes are colloquially known as "lovies" or "LB's".

Conures:

-------------------------------------------

Just a few very minor tweaks and spelling corrections Roz, I've put them in bold italics for you :)
thank you so much:love:

OP
Rozalka

Rozalka

May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Cockatoos:
you don't how many problems I had then - totally I didn't know how to write about producing powder down 😅 Thank you again:)

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
You're more than welcome, my friend :)

Inko-ai

Oct 11, 2021
Media
Albums
Parrots
Budgies - Sprite & Marshmallow
Are you sure there aren't so many spelling/grammar mistakes? (except for the mentioned ones)
Recently one person said me my grammar is terrible... but I hope it was just because I was so tired then... in other case prob I'll give up it
Roz, your grammar is actually very good. English is not your native language, so of course you're going to make mistakes. But that's okay. That's how you learn. If you don't practice and make those mistakes, then you're never going to improve.
And as I said, your grammar is already very good. I know some people who only speak English, and still can't write as good as you.

OP
Rozalka

Rozalka

May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Cockatiel:
cockatiel.png

Today I noticed that in some species I wrote first "subspecies" and next "iucn red list status", in others first IUCN status, next subspecies. I made it in the original way (like it was made the first species - gcc). I think the sequence doesn't really matter... (I changed the original sequence by accident during making the Polish version of the 'tiel)

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Lovely work again, Roz! I remember being massively confused as a little kid when my next door neighbour showed me the birds in his aviary and referred to them as "quarrions" - I was like "Hang on, I thought they were called cockatiels!" "Cockatiel" has become the most accepted term here now, although quite a few of the older generations, particularly here in Queensland, still say "quarrion". Over in Western Australia they often use "weero" as well as "weiro" - I think it just depends on which school they went to ;)

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
Cockatiel:
View attachment 33288
Today I noticed that in some species I wrote first "subspecies" and next "iucn red list status", in others first IUCN status, next subspecies. I made it in the original way (like it was made the first species - gcc). I think the sequence doesn't really matter... (I changed the original sequence by accident during making the Polish version of the 'tiel)
you shoudlve asked for tiki pics
she is such a diva :rolleyes:

OP
Rozalka

Rozalka

May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Lovely work again, Roz! I remember being massively confused as a little kid when my next door neighbour showed me the birds in his aviary and referred to them as "quarrions" - I was like "Hang on, I thought they were called cockatiels!" "Cockatiel" has become the most accepted term here now, although quite a few of the older generations, particularly here in Queensland, still say "quarrion". Over in Western Australia they often use "weero" as well as "weiro" - I think it just depends on which school they went to ;)
Once time I was talking about it with Butisher (sorry, I spelled the nickname wrong), she thinks that name "cockatiel" is even incorrect... but it is the official species name. I was thinking about including info on where exactly which name is used but wasn't sure where in Australia were "weiro" and where "quarrion". Thanks :)

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Roz I think both you and Betrisher would have a much better idea of the origins of the name "cockatiel" than I do, as both of you have studied these things in much greater depth than I :) However, as a general rule, it seems that "quarrion" is the preferred alternative in the eastern Australian states, while "weero" seems to be in much greater use over in Western Australia.

OP
Rozalka

Rozalka

May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
View attachment 33497I hope I haven't missed anything this time...
Also, this time I changed "about" to "around" - I think this sounds better?
NO! Why did I write updated ON?
Edit: In general I'm too lazy to correct (deleting and uploading the pic), but I've already corrected it

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Lovely work again, Roz! :)

Did you know that quakers are prohibited in Western Australia? Not sure that there are actually any feral flocks over there, but it seems that the local government is pretty keen for it to stay that way.

OP
Rozalka

Rozalka

May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Lovely work again, Roz! :)

Did you know that quakers are prohibited in Western Australia? Not sure that there are actually any feral flocks over there, but it seems that the local government is pretty keen for it to stay that way.
Thank you :)
I didn't know about it, but I've heard that QP's (and rose ringed parakeets) are prohibited in Spain - but there's a BIG problem with feral flocks - I've seen articles about how government tries to kill them shooting.

Most Reactions