A Quaker Parrot Miracle

FieryPhoenix

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
Quaker Parrot Sun Conure
This is a story about my 17-year-old old Quaker Parrot Nikki. Nikki had wing amputation surgery on Tuesday 1/25 due to a large tumor that was discovered about a month ago.

The vet said that removing the tumor alone would pose a couple of problems.
  1. There is muscle involvement so removing just the tumor could result in loss of function of the wing.
  2. The tumor is more likely to return if you just remove the tumor as opposed to the wing.

The entire wing was not amputated. She has a stump.

Nikki is a walking miracle. The procedure itself went well but she had an adverse reaction from the anesthesia. While they were trying to wake her up, her heart stopped. They did CPR and got her heart going again. Things looked pretty grim for her. It was thought she was going to either pass away on her own or I would have to put her down as she would remain in a vegetative state due to brain damage. She stayed at the clinic overnight.

We all resigned to the face that it was Nikki’s time to go back to God but He had other plans. The next morning at 8am I got a call that Nikki was 100 times better. She was alert and responsive. She even bit the vet.

She came home that afternoon and since then has been very happy to see her 17-year-old sister Sunny (her cage mate though Nikki recuperated in her own small cage next to Sunny’s. for about a month)

She is eating, drinking, talking and chirping, and moving around. She is getting stronger every day. I believe God had His hand in this and heard my prayers to quickly relieve her suffering whether that be to quickly call her home or quickly snap her out of it.

1645813026598.png

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
what a wonderful miracle!!!! Look at those beautiful babies!!! My heart feels warm at their true friendship .

I'm so glad you got to share more time with Nikki.

Takes a lot of calories to recover. So go ahead and spoil her a little.

It's great to hear stories of wonderful veterinarians and of people like you doing everything possible to save their birds.

OP
F

FieryPhoenix

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
Quaker Parrot Sun Conure
what a wonderful miracle!!!! Look at those beautiful babies!!! My heart feels warm at their true friendship .

I'm so glad you got to share more time with Nikki.

Takes a lot of calories to recover. So go ahead and spoil her a little.

It's great to hear stories of wonderful veterinarians and of people like you doing everything possible to save their birds.
Thank you for reading. The good news is that the vet said she gained some weight LOL! I have a bird scale at home and I expect that she will not return to what she weighed before given that she has one less wing but it is good to know she is packing on the grams.

I did find out yesterday that the type of tumor she had is a spindle tumor which does not metastasize so that is good. I do see an improvement in her quality of life. Had I not gone through with the surgery, the tumor most likely would have continued to grow and her quality of life would diminish. Now a month later, she is pretty much back to normal and back to her old self.

I work remotely and they are in my office so they are not alone all day. The only time I am out for a good part of the day is my Saturday job at a children's residential facility. I leave at 8 in the morning and come home at about 5:30 or so. That's when I leave the radio on for them and leave them some extra goodies. They always give me a nice chorus of chirps when I get home.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Thank you for reading. The good news is that the vet said she gained some weight LOL! I have a bird scale at home and I expect that she will not return to what she weighed before given that she has one less wing but it is good to know she is packing on the grams.

I did find out yesterday that the type of tumor she had is a spindle tumor which does not metastasize so that is good. I do see an improvement in her quality of life. Had I not gone through with the surgery, the tumor most likely would have continued to grow and her quality of life would diminish. Now a month later, she is pretty much back to normal and back to her old self.

I work remotely and they are in my office so they are not alone all day. The only time I am out for a good part of the day is my Saturday job at a children's residential facility. I leave at 8 in the morning and come home at about 5:30 or so. That's when I leave the radio on for them and leave them some extra goodies. They always give me a nice chorus of chirps when I get home.
Way to bite the vet Nikki!

Otherwise, what a stressful time but a great outcome.

PrimorandMoxi

May 29, 2015
New Jersey
Parrots
Max (23yo) Blue and Gold Macaw,
&
PRIMOR (8yo) Red Lored Amazon,
&
ABBA (33yo) Red Lored Amazon - RIP
Bless you and here's to many more miracles for Nico!

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
Whoops I posted this in the wrong place. I’ll delete it.

Most Reactions