Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Lots of you guys know about Milly, the female sparrow my dad found in a gas station parking lot.
There were trucks there for construction, he said even though he knew I didnā€™t want any more birds, he couldnā€™t leave her to get crushed.
She was probably 2-3 months old as she had a baby beak.
Sheā€™s non releasable, as sheā€™s missing the flight feathers on her left wing.ā€, she can jump though!
In the beginning she had to be fed almost hourly, it was pretty taxing but we managed!
As of now sheā€™s been with me for 8 months at the end of March.
As far as living accommodations, she has a short cage, most of her perches are low and her food is in bowls on the paper.
But, she is not the first special needs bird Iā€™ve had, I regret the first as I was not educated enough, Iā€™ll share her story later.
254E9294-6B09-451E-A470-20D107F5201C.jpeg
BF59B777-4B97-4A6E-83D0-0F039EA11913.jpeg
FEB14C4F-D81E-47B5-A894-61400D0A0519.jpeg
You can see the difference in the left and right wing here.
53396E72-D174-4600-9F98-0F458886B681.jpeg

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Milly's set-up is fantastic! Thank you for sharing the pictures from different angles, that's so helpful to anyone needing to do the same for their bird.
Your Dad is amazing to have saved her, he knew you were going to change her life:)

Milly is a lucky girl:)

OP
zERo

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Milly's set-up is fantastic! Thank you for sharing the pictures from different angles, that's so helpful to anyone needing to do the same for their bird.
Your Dad is amazing to have saved her, he knew you were going to change her life:)

Milly is a lucky girl:)
A part of me felt like, oh no not another bird! But her needs have fallen into my daily routine easily. Iā€™m happy he saved her too šŸ˜

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I have a huge soft spot in my heart for special needs birds as majority of the Amazons that come to live with us and take-over our home had become special needs prior to their arrival and our goal with each is the same; provide them the knowledge that they are loved and wanted! Thank you for providing Millie that comfort!!

OP
zERo

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
I have a huge soft spot in my heart for special needs birds as majority of the Amazons that come to live with us and take-over our home had become special needs prior to their arrival and our goal with each is the same; provide them the knowledge that they are loved and wanted! Thank you for providing Millie that comfort!!
Iā€™ve followed your threads before, what you do is amazing!!! šŸ˜

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Lots of you guys know about Milly, the female sparrow my dad found in a gas station parking lot.
There were trucks there for construction, he said even though he knew I didnā€™t want any more birds, he couldnā€™t leave her to get crushed.
She was probably 2-3 months old as she had a baby beak.
Sheā€™s non releasable, as sheā€™s missing the flight feathers on her left wing.ā€, she can jump though!
In the beginning she had to be fed almost hourly, it was pretty taxing but we managed!
As of now sheā€™s been with me for 8 months at the end of March.
As far as living accommodations, she has a short cage, most of her perches are low and her food is in bowls on the paper.
But, she is not the first special needs bird Iā€™ve had, I regret the first as I was not educated enough, Iā€™ll share her story later.
View attachment 48095View attachment 48096View attachment 48097 You can see the difference in the left and right wing here.
View attachment 48098
Does Milly play with toys? I didn't think finches and canaries did. English Sparrows are more like finches than parrots.

OP
zERo

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Does Milly play with toys? I didn't think finches and canaries did. English Sparrows are more like finches than parrots.
She does! She really likes shredding finger traps and sola chips.
Enjoys tearing paper too, she also like pulling on the toys kinda of aggressively lol šŸ¤­

Edit! She also loves taking apart little vine balls too

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
She does! She really likes shredding finger traps and sola chips.
Enjoys tearing paper too, she also like pulling on the toys kinda of aggressively lol šŸ¤­

Edit! She also loves taking apart little vine balls too
Its so nice that you rescued her from a near certain death. I work part-time at Lowe's and they have a lot of resident English Sparrows both inside and outside. Last summer I found one sitting on the floor stunned, probably from flying into the glass. She almost got stepped on so I picked her up and placed her on the soil under a potted shrub outside way in the back where I knew she'd have plenty of time to rest and recover. The next morning she was gone so I assume she flew away. If I find an injured one that needs more than time to recover I'll take it home like you did. What's one more little bird, right?

OP
zERo

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Its so nice that you rescued her from a near certain death. I work part-time at Lowe's and they have a lot of resident English Sparrows both inside and outside. Last summer I found one sitting on the floor stunned, probably from flying into the glass. She almost got stepped on so I picked her up and placed her on the soil under a potted shrub outside way in the back where I knew she'd have plenty of time to rest and recover. The next morning she was gone so I assume she flew away. If I find an injured one that needs more than time to recover I'll take it home like you did. What's one more little bird, right?
Right! Lol, though I assume most wild birds you find will be releasable.
Good thing you saved her and put her somewhere safe!

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Right! Lol, though I assume most wild birds you find will be releasable.
Good thing you saved her and put her somewhere safe!
I'd only keep an English Sparrow or a Starling because they are not protected native birds. Any others I'd take to a wildlife rehabilitator. They won't take non-natives and its illegal to keep native birds.

OP
zERo

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
I'd only keep an English Sparrow or a Starling because they are not protected native birds. Any others I'd take to a wildlife rehabilitator. They won't take non-natives and its illegal to keep native birds.
Well I tried to take her to a rehab BUT we called a game warden and there arenā€™t any within 4 hours of us!
He said just donā€™t tell the whole world you have a sparrow šŸ¤­

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Well I tried to take her to a rehab BUT we called a game warden and there arenā€™t any within 4 hours of us!
He said just donā€™t tell the whole world you have a sparrow šŸ¤­

I thinK he meant, those who are in Maine, as the world part you have already kind of just did. But, you're in New Mexico, right? :love:

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I thinK he meant, those who are in Maine, as the world part you have already kind of just did. But, you're in New Mexico, right? :love:
I just know that the migratory bird act protects native north american species in Canada and the US. Technically you can legally use English Sparrows and Starlings as target practice in the US. In the 1800s the British brought these birds to Central Park to make Europeans feel at home. Unfortunately these aggressive birds wiped out the native Bluebirds in the area and they spread rapidly to the entire US. Bluebirds are now recovering but English Sparrows compete with our Bluebirds for nest boxes and will murder the female and nestling Bluebirds by pecking them to death and build their own nests on top of the decaying bodies.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I just know that the migratory bird act protects native north american species in Canada and the US. Technically you can legally use English Sparrows and Starlings as target practice in the US. In the 1800s the British brought these birds to Central Park to make Europeans feel at home. Unfortunately these aggressive birds wiped out the native Bluebirds in the area and they spread rapidly to the entire US. Bluebirds are now recovering but English Sparrows compete with our Bluebirds for nest boxes and will murder the female and nestling Bluebirds by pecking them to death and build their own nests on top of the decaying bodies.
Some rehabs won't take sparrows, and I think it's awesome that zERo was there to save Milly.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Some rehabs won't take sparrows, and I think it's awesome that zERo was there to save Milly.
They will take native sparrows (Song Sparrows, Chipping Sparrows, White Crowned Sparrows, etc.) if they have room and resources but not English Sparrows aka House Sparrows, which are not closely related to our New World Sparrows.

OP
zERo

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
He didnā€™t say I couldnā€™t tell this forum specifically! šŸ¤­
Iā€™m in Texas actually. The closest bird rehab is an hour away and they only do raptors/owls/water fowl etc.

Most Reactions

Latest posts