A very nice “hello” form overseas

Jul 25, 2022
Germany
Parrots
Lemon Pie & Kermit the Frog [red-crowned parakeets / Kakarikis]
Hi, everyone!
After quite a while of reading in this forum as a guest I’m super excited to become an actual member of this community :green1:.

I currently own a female red-crowned parakeet named Lemon (Pie), but I am planning to get male too. The initial plan was to get two right from the beginning but unfortunately Lemon’s breeder so far only had hens hatching this breeding season, so there was no male red-crowned parakeet at the bird fair to take home with.
Right now, it’s just Lemon and me but I’m sure I’ll find her a partner soon. In the worst case I’ll have to go to a pet store even though I’m not really willing to pay three times the money a breeder charges. We’ll see.
Lemon’s quite a shy one, even though she is very interested in everything I do she’s still very hesitant to approach me. I guess she just needs more time and training to fully trust me. I have owned birds before, and I just love that every single one of them has a different and unique temperament.
I know the “American Aviculture” is quiet different form the “European” one, but I hope that we will still be able to exchange information and experience without jumping down each other’s throat. You might not be one hundred percent comfortable with everything I do and I’m certainly not okay with some of the things that seem to happen quite frequently to pet birds in the US but I really hope we can stand above those differences 😊.

And because I know everybody in bird forums is always hunting for photos here are two pictures of Lemon:
IMG_7352_B2.png
IMG_7362_D2.png

Birdgirl24

Dec 2, 2021
North Dakota
Parrots
I have 1 budgie, He is a male both. I have been looking into getting an Eclectus Parrot tho.
Hi, everyone!
After quite a while of reading in this forum as a guest I’m super excited to become an actual member of this community :green1:.

I currently own a female red-crowned parakeet named Lemon (Pie), but I am planning to get male too. The initial plan was to get two right from the beginning but unfortunately Lemon’s breeder so far only had hens hatching this breeding season, so there was no male red-crowned parakeet at the bird fair to take home with.
Right now, it’s just Lemon and me but I’m sure I’ll find her a partner soon. In the worst case I’ll have to go to a pet store even though I’m not really willing to pay three times the money a breeder charges. We’ll see.
Lemon’s quite a shy one, even though she is very interested in everything I do she’s still very hesitant to approach me. I guess she just needs more time and training to fully trust me. I have owned birds before, and I just love that every single one of them has a different and unique temperament.
I know the “American Aviculture” is quiet different form the “European” one, but I hope that we will still be able to exchange information and experience without jumping down each other’s throat. You might not be one hundred percent comfortable with everything I do and I’m certainly not okay with some of the things that seem to happen quite frequently to pet birds in the US but I really hope we can stand above those differences 😊.

And because I know everybody in bird forums is always hunting for photos here are two pictures of Lemon:View attachment 42547View attachment 42548
shes a real cutie! Welcome to the forums and Good luck with your little floof ball :)

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Hi, everyone!

And because I know everybody in bird forums is always hunting for photos here are two pictures of Lemon:View attachment 42547View attachment 42548
I'm so happy you & Pie decided to join us, she is absolutely gorgeous!

We have several members from around the world who share their knowledge and we embrace that. I believe that we can all learn something from each other. if you are ever attacked here, please report the post to us so we can have a look at it and take care of any issues we see. We won't allow derogatory posts to stand against anyone.

If you have any rescues near you they may have just what you're looking for.

Again, I'm glad you joined the PF family! Welcome:)

OP
Smaragdeidechse
Jul 25, 2022
Germany
Parrots
Thank you all for your kind words and warm welcome 🙂🧡.

If you have any rescues near you they may have just what you're looking for.
Unfortunately non of the shelters near me has red-corwned (red-fronted?) parakeets for adoption right now. They are not that common or popular as pet birds in my area. But I'll keep my eyes open.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Love Germany, consider the Country as a second home as I have worked for German organizations during all of my business career and have traveled Germany and Europe extensively.

Welcome to Parrot Forum and I look forward to your involvement!

Last edited:
OP
Smaragdeidechse
Jul 25, 2022
Germany
Parrots
Willkommen!
Danke sehr! 🥰

Also, I'm kinda confused right now. You said Lemon's a "Kakariki" so is that what they are called in english? Because my dictionary said the name was "red-fronted / red-crowned parakeet. So which one is correct? Or are they synonyms?
Because in german we call them "Ziegensittiche" which translates to "goat parakeets" but I suppose that's not a thing in english, is it? 🤔

@SailBoat Sounds like you've lived the dream of travelling (at least part of) the world 🤩. Is there any region in Germany you like particularly? I'm always very interested in hearing what other people think are the "gems" or "must-have visited" of Germany 😁.

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Willkommen!

She's not a lovie but a kakariki
Funny! Never even crossed my mind how easily my statement can be misinterpreted! Absolutely what is directly typed, but! Lovie, as in , huggable, cuddly, the one who is always there for you!
A perfect example of what can go wrong in any communication!

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I looked up the species online and a kakariki is indeed another name for red crowned or red fronted parakeet.

I think the intense colors of lemon pie’s yellow and red are very striking.

Maybe some day I will have a kakariki. I think the New Zealand parrots are really neat.

Rozalka

May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
Danke sehr! 🥰

Also, I'm kinda confused right now. You said Lemon's a "Kakariki" so is that what they are called in english? Because my dictionary said the name was "red-fronted / red-crowned parakeet. So which one is correct? Or are they synonyms?
Because in german we call them "Ziegensittiche" which translates to "goat parakeets" but I suppose that's not a thing in english, is it? 🤔

@SailBoat Sounds like you've lived the dream of travelling (at least part of) the world 🤩. Is there any region in Germany you like particularly? I'm always very interested in hearing what other people think are the "gems" or "must-have visited" of Germany 😁.
I'll explain it - the formal English name is Red-crowned parakeet but most parronts call them as kakarikis. I think it may be because "kakariki" is a bit international (it comes from Maori, the language used by native tribe from New Zealand, where the species comes from, so it's adopted to many languages) and less confusing (the same name may be used for red-crowned conures). Another version is red fronted parakeet and it's also right.

You did right checking the name in the dictionary because some people don't do it but translate their native language. Sure, there's no such thing like "goat parakeet" in English because it's a German name. But we Poles "stole" your German name so we have "goat parrots" too 😛

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Danke sehr! 🥰

The dream part of all the travel steals the joy of family, etc.. Gone for a couple of weeks and home for a few, causes one to miss much. But, I would not trade the memories and friends that I had gained. My favorite regions of Germany are the Wine Valleys in the mid-late Fall. Berlin Region during the Springl. Summer in Northern Germany and Winter must be the Alps and Austria

Most Reactions

Latest posts