A warning :(

BACON

New member
May 18, 2013
237
0
I don't know how many people own cats on here.... Being a parrot forum an all but thought I'd share this as I'd never heard of it before until it was to late.

lily poisoning in cats.

Friday was just like any other day, our cat 'Jaffa' (he was ginger) ate food like it was going out of fashion, Saturday morning he ate a bit but didn't think anything of it, on Sunday first thing he was being very sick, and laying about and drinking heavily, mum thought he had kidney problems and said she'd take him to the vets in the morning. But the afternoon/evening he had lost all strength and his eyes had sunken. Soooo a vet call out late and off he went, unfortunately he didn't make it. We had to put him down. The vet said he'd last another hour and was in pain, although no kidney problem and no temperature she couldn't lay a finger on what was wrong.



A few days later in our local paper mum saw an article with the heading 'lily poisoning in cats'. Soooo a quick note on what it is says, just I case you're interested.


Any part of the lily plant if poisonous and if a cat even rubs against the lily and bathes it's self later or inhales a tiny amount of the pollen then he/she can be poisoned.the first signs of lily poisoning occur 30mins -2hrs after ingestion and include vomiting, depression and loss of appetite.
Vomiting usually subsides a few hours later however that doesn't mean the cats is going to make a recovery. As the toxins start to effect the kidneys, depression, excessive thirst and lethargy will occur 1-3 days after ingestion, and death will follow after 5days.

Medical treatment isn't even a guarantee that the cat will make a recovery, if caught within the first 6hrs it's said there is a slight chance of improvement after treatment usually intravenous fluid therapy but most die.


This info is to late for our little Jaffa cat (we have loads of Lily's about) but I hope it could be of help to some other people.

I wonder what they are like for birds o_O

Sorry it's a long post, just wanted to share.
 

SilverSage

New member
Sep 14, 2013
5,937
93
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
How heartbreaking! Thank you for sharing with us!
 

Phlox

New member
Jun 16, 2014
477
0
That's very sad, but I can't agree that your vet gave you 100% the right information. Lilies are totally toxic, but it takes 2 full leaves eaten or more, not just brushing against the plant.

Lily Poisoning in Cats | petMD

Kidney problems in general will swiftly kill a cat unfortunately, but lily poisoning is only one of many potential causes. It's always fast though. I've gone through it before and its sad to see then dwindle so quickly.

My sympathies on the loss of your kitty.
 

Terry57

Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
47,443
Media
47
Albums
13
38,439
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I am so sorry for your loss of Jaffa:(
Thank you for sharing your story with us, I had no idea it was that toxic.
 

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
13,114
Media
9
18
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
I am so sorry for your loss of Jaffa and what you are going through
Thanks for sharing such important information

R.I.P. Jaffa
 

Allee

Well-known member
Oct 27, 2013
16,852
Media
2
212
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
I'm very sorry for your loss of Jaffa. Thank you for the kind warning.
 
OP
B

BACON

New member
May 18, 2013
237
0
  • Thread Starter
  • Thread starter
  • #7
Thanks you for your kind words, he was a strange cat, we hand raised him from a kitten, a dog found a nest and pulled him out. He didn't even have his eyes open, we bottle fed him, he never learnt to meow which was bliss compared to others we had. Guess that's what made him more special. He was 14, but till Sunday was a fit and healthy as ever. I couldn't believe how quickly he was cut down!!!
 

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Top