Academic Survey Regarding Captive Parrot Behaviour

SpaceTiel99

Jun 1, 2022
Hey there! I'm currently working on an assignment for my Animal Behaviour and Welfare degree. The objective is to correlate and find links between the environment and relationships of captive birds and their behaviour. This is all in relation to stereotypical behaviours and what carers can do to prevent or reduce these behaviours. The survey should take an average of 5-10 minutes and it would mean a lot to me if I got some replies :)

Vampiric_Conure

May 16, 2022
Media
Albums
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Parrots
Charlie (M) - 23 yrs - Peach Front Conure
Redshift (M)-22yrs - normal Cockatiel
Moon (M) - 2 ys - wf pied cockatiel
Chara (F)- 1 yr - wf pied cockatiel
Hey there! I'm currently working on an assignment for my Animal Behaviour and Welfare degree. The objective is to correlate and find links between the environment and relationships of captive birds and their behaviour. This is all in relation to stereotypical behaviours and what carers can do to prevent or reduce these behaviours. The survey should take an average of 5-10 minutes and it would mean a lot to me if I got some replies :)

Done! :) Very Interesting Survey!

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie

Done! Did it for my cockatiel Pippen :)

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Very concerned with the 'Experts' that you have targeted you're questionnaire around as they lean hard toward behavioral beliefs. Many of the questions assumed that specific behaviors are common-place and fail to even consider a far more open relationship between humans and Parrots. Try understanding the differences between 'Pet Parrot" and 'Companion Parrot".

Sadly, the majority of individuals that come to Like Forums very rarely provide the results of the Study! It is my hope that you are better than the average college student.

We open our home to older Amazons and provide an enriched environment that far exceeds the description /target question within your study.

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
I agree with the others, my budgies free roam all day, so I only have sleeping cages for them... What I do with them is very fluid, and yes, they do scream quite often, but budgies are very easily excited or scared, so that is normal for them...

I wish there was a place at the bottom where you could put any extra notes. I mean, us ''cageless'' bird owners exist, and those with easily excited birds also exist.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Done
Agree, something missing is Hormonal behavior questions. Most of our birds display different behavior during Hormonal ( usually spring) times.
More specific daily out of cage time.
When people have multiple parrots, knowing if they have same species or mixed flocks. Same sex or mixed sexes
Diet can also impact behavior, especially for some species like electus.

If effects of hands raising (when negative ) aren't addressed, like force weaned ( if know) delayed weaning, sold as unwesbed to first time hand feeding owner ( terrible) , or to experienced hand raised owner. Raised alone or with other babies, allowing to fledged and learn to fly, or were they clipped by breeder or pet store before you got them. Then if feathers were allowed to grow out was there a delay in learning to fly well , did they ever learn to fly well, or fly very well as soon as had feathers. Or feather destruction Behavior? You talked about preening but not over preening or plucking. Or fear of new things. Fear of new foods, or difficulty in introducing new foods.

Burds can also shut down and just sit in a cage, I've seen thst as a topic more than pacing ( often more animals response than bird)

Light cycle, sleep cycle

Bathing, bath bowls, showers, or misting.

Cage protection behavior.

Training, interactive, tricks, recall flight, targets, station , interactive foraging

Lots of feedback I know, just seems like it's was missing.

Last edited:

Most Reactions