Acceptable temperatures?

veimar

Feb 5, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
gcc Parry; lovebird Coco; 3 budgies (Tesla, Franky and Cesar); cockatiel Murzik, red rump parakeet girl Onyx
I was wondering if it is okay to take your conure (GCC) out for a few minutes when it is around 50F and sunny? It is very nice outside these days, and we finally have SPRING in Chicago area!! I was trying to find accurate information online, but there was no clear answer. I read that the lower range is around 65F (18C), and we have around 65-67 in our house.
Since it started getting warmer and I need to do some repotting outside, I was wondering if it okay if Parry stays on my shoulder outside just for a few minutes when it is 45-50F (7-10C) and sunny outside? I took him out for a minute, and he was so fascinated by other birds singing around, that he refused to step down from my shoulder when I tried to leave him at home. So I did all my repotting with Parry on my shoulder, but I was a little worried if it could be too cold for him. He didn't shiver or display any signs of discomfort though - he was looking at new surroundings and listening to the birds (and they were loud!). I was going back and forth between the house and patio for about ½ hour. We were outside for only 3-4 min at a time.
I just wanted to make sure I won't do any harm to my 'baby' exposing him to little chillier temps.
Any thoughts on this?

KiwiPlusUs1025

Feb 23, 2014
South Florida
Parrots
Yellow Side Green Check Conure
I'm not sure about what temps are "ok" for parrots but when I took my GCC Kiwi to the vet for the 1st time she told me not to change her temp more then 20 degrees in a short period of time. Like I said though I'm not sure. Hopefully you find your answer. Good luck:)

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
For me I wouldn't risk for them to get chilled due to over 10 degrees temperature difference.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
:54:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13XmlniLKd4"]Charlie Flying Outside - YouTube[/ame]

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Gilbert Oliver, Blue Crown Conure; Georgie, Sun Conure (2/8/01-8/8/12) RIP little girl; Percy, budgie 1993-1999. RIP Pepito-spanish timbrado canary
My general rule for Gilbert is 60 degrees, but he has gone out when it is just below that, high 50s, but not for a long time and not breezy and sunny. I keep my house pretty cool too, so he is used to a lower temp in the winter. My heat is at 65.
Gilbert actually has more dislike for high temps than cooler. I love hot hot summer but my pets don't.

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Gilbert Oliver, Blue Crown Conure; Georgie, Sun Conure (2/8/01-8/8/12) RIP little girl; Percy, budgie 1993-1999. RIP Pepito-spanish timbrado canary
I think this explanation is a good one: Parrots And Cold Weather
I have always heard it has to do with what they acclimate themselves to. I mean, there are wild parrots who survive quite nicely outside where we wouldn't expect them to. (I think there is a flock of quakers in brooklyn who made it through our crazy winter...?)
But being homebodies for the most part, it has to do with the fluctuation from indoor to outdoor..............

lisa6373

Mar 16, 2014
Baltimore, MD
Parrots
Mango-Pineapple Green Cheek Conure
Good to know...we keep our heat set at 68, but our lower level family room where my new arrival's cage will be usually runs about 63!

Most Reactions

Latest posts