Parrotlet Biting Neck and Lip

addscott

Dec 19, 2023
Parrots
Buttercup - Parrotlet
Hi all!

We recently got a young boy parrotlet named Buttercup! The only place this bird ever wants to be in on our shoulder. He will fly to our shoulder whenever he is out of the cage but after a while he will start either nibbling my beard and necklace or biting either moles, freckles, just skin or lips! I am very new to this and need a little help knowing how I might approach stopping this behaviour. It is very hard to not use my fingers to try get him off my shoulder when he is doing this and I think he is getting scared of my finger as he it is the reason why he does not get to do the biting that he enjoys so much. Should we restrict shoulder privileges and how do we do this when it is the only place outside the cage it wants to be? Also how do I get him off my shoulder without using my finger and making him afraid of it? I do try not to make any sounds when he does do the bad behaviour and make a sad face. But I think it may be getting worse. Or maybe it is how he likes to nibble my beard and I should not allow this as he tries to nibble the beard of people who don’t have beards, leading to just biting peoples face! Any help would be great :)

Attachments

• 72464911667__4E4401F4-2B6C-418A-B247-DEBADFA01B5F.jpeg
    72464911667__4E4401F4-2B6C-418A-B247-DEBADFA01B5F.jpeg
    308.8 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts