Adopting new Amazon tomorrow!!

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
"Your first Bite! An Adult BFA can delivery a very serious bite that will send you to Hospital, even if it is a arm or finger bite. Consider what you received as warning bite, hard enough to get your attention but not hard enough to require a trip to Hospital"

I totally agree with this statement! My "ex" girlfriend wanted to interact with Amy and Amy didn't want to be bothered at the time,and he clamped down on Arleen's index finger fracturing it Ouchie! :eek:

Jim.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
I wouldn't try to make a bird step up on day 1. I don't think that was misplaced aggression, although your dog could have scared him..

You need to spend a long time building trust before you want him to step up. Each time they bite, it gives them more practice biting and provides an opportunity for them to learn that biting can potentially be used to manipulate situations. Consequently, the best thing to do is read your bird so well that you avoid getting bitten (especially early on).

Make sure the dog is out of the room -- you don't know the bird well enough to know anything about what it might do- not to mention your dog's potential to kill a bird with one playful nip.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
With an 18 year old Amazon and understanding their Body Language, there is no reason to wait. As long as you are paying close attention to the Body Language and moving at the rate allowed by the Amazon -- you can work with Step-Up on Day One.

As you have found, it's better to begin without the other animals around.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
With an 18 year old Amazon and understanding their Body Language, there is no reason to wait. As long as you are paying close attention to the Body Language and moving at the rate allowed by the Amazon -- you can work with Step-Up on Day One.

As you have found, it's better to begin without the other animals around.

Any bird needs time to adjust to a new home and to a new person (no matter the age). Individuals still have to establish that trust before trying to handle a parrot without the bird's "person" around to protect the bird (no matter the age of the parrot). It's possible it could work on day 1 if the bird likes someone a lot and feels that connection. I do agree with what Sailboat said about reading body language, but some of that observable body language is produced as a warning/in reaction to stress etc. That means if you are seeing it, you are often causing it and if you are causing it, then you are not necessarily going to be building that association between yourself and low-stress/positive activities. If your bird wants to initiate etc, you can try, but I'm just saying you don't want to keep testing something if you get threatening body language, because that is a sign that you are stressing out the bird. If you do get the bird to step up, you are then dealing with a bird that you do not know (who may try to climb up your arm etc). This is why it's best to get to know the bird a bit.

It's not just about avoiding the bite, it's also about proving yourself to be trustworthy and respecting boundaries, while keeping the bird relaxed/calm when you are around.

When I got mine as an adult, she knew how to step up etc, but would not for a long time.

If you can safely do it, I would try to let your bird explore its cage with the door open (with supervision) so that it doesn't decide that going in means getting locked up. Mind you, chasing the bird to put it back in will not go over well...nor will the bird flying into a window or out a door (so keep all of this in mind). You may have to wait for your bird to go back in, so don't try this unless you have time...

Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I never let my dogs or parrots near each other. And I never leave unsupervised. My dogs, i make stay five feet back ( they are toy breeds tgst gave been raised with psrrots around since they we're puppies. An adult dog that wasn't extremely well trained i would never trust. My dogs have to stay give feet back, never allowed near cages, and from pups I trained them not to look or focus on tge parrots. And they have all been trained to leave it, and back off command. I also teach my parrots they're can't go near the dogs. And I never trust anybody.

My parrots have several perches around the house so they are never on the floor or furniture, thst helps too.

OP
C

Caliope

Nov 8, 2020
Parrots
Pearly Conure and Blue Front Amazon
We've kept things pretty low key today went about our normal day with housework etc. He's unfortunately (she doesn't live with us full time) chosen my partners 13 year old daughter as his person. She is only here every other weekend I hope he isn't hurt by this. He so far is tolerating me he talks to me etc but much more reserved I guess the biting thing didn't help my cause much I will really work on trust and bonding. I do so appreciate all your advice. Thank you all ever so much. We will continue to grow and learn here.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
We've kept things pretty low key today went about our normal day with housework etc. He's unfortunately (she doesn't live with us full time) chosen my partners 13 year old daughter as his person. She is only here every other weekend I hope he isn't hurt by this. He so far is tolerating me he talks to me etc but much more reserved I guess the biting thing didn't help my cause much I will really work on trust and bonding. I do so appreciate all your advice. Thank you all ever so much. We will continue to grow and learn here.

Just because a person is chosen, doesn't mean it is the end of everything. You are so early on. My bird chose my ex over me initially (and he was only around every other day for a few hours--didn't like her much either). That was very early, but still...He was the first to be able to pick her up (excluding day 1 when I did) etc. When she started really liking me/doing tricks, I think he was actually a little disappointed because she never did them for him lol! It's nice to be special, but it can always change...Unless your bird is super obsessed (but that takes more than a week or so to know). My bird will ALWAYS obsess over my dad when we visit (even though she didn't meet him until about a year after I had her). She used to penalize others if he was around and she couldn't get to him..She still does sometimes (depending on the person)...But she has top 4 favorite people in her life--- me, my neighbor (who she LOVES), my dad, and one of my sisters). She is a cockatoo, so they tend to have a wider circle, but getting any bird to tolerate you is half the battle.

Some are more stubborn than others, but so early on, it's hard to say if that choice will stick. You can still prove yourselves in time, although your bird may always gravitate towards some people more than others.

Last edited:
OP
C

Caliope

Nov 8, 2020
Parrots
So true! I know why he loves her she's amazing ❤and in fact before we even adopted him it was decided that we would will him to her should he outlive us. So in that way it is a very good thing. She has her own pet canary at her moms and she wants to learn so much. The other girls are interested but not to that extent. He's still nice and taking treats we are just taking it slowly

Last edited:

krayman

Aug 8, 2020
Media
Hampton Roads, VA
Parrots
DYH, Red Lored Amazon, Blue Front, Congo, Timneh
@LittleRedBeak
I have been trying to reply to your PMs about adopting Smitty but for some reason none of my replies appear to be sent. I sent email.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
@LittleRedBeak
I have been trying to reply to your PMs about adopting Smitty but for some reason none of my replies appear to be sent. I sent email.

New member(s) cannot directly PM as there is a block that protects them /us from receiving PM from spammers, etc. If you wish to PM a new(er) member, you can request a Mod (names in purple) and they will help you connect.

OP
C

Caliope

Nov 8, 2020
Parrots
We started clicker training on Sunday a bit and today I brought out the target stick he touched it all 3 times and was rewarded with pine nuts. I want to let him out but haven't yet as I need to remove the dogs and I'm still a bit nervous of the bites. That's why I'm working on trust. Is this ok
Or can I let him out for a bit this evening and hope he goes back in on his own. He will do almost anything for a nutri-berry so maybe he will follow it back or should I give him a few more days? Thanks

Edited to add I ended up letting him out. He's playing now if he doesn't go back in on his own we will try bribery

Last edited:

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
dont just lock him up the second the berry is in...Put half in...leave it open (let him leave a few times)...then close it when he goes back to get the other so that you don't seem like you will always shut it when he gets a treat!

OP
C

Caliope

Nov 8, 2020
Parrots
He went back in with the nutri-berry such a good boy❤ I'd love to post a pic but I'm not quite sure how to do that on here. I'm sorry I'm not that computer literate. Is there an easy way to post pictures?

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Also when you hit "reply"...at the top of the box you'll see a paperclip,click on that and go to upload box then you can upload pics from your computer. The forum gives you space to attach pics as long as they aren't too big. I use it alot.

Jim

OP
C

Caliope

Nov 8, 2020
Parrots
Thanks for the help with posting pictures . Here is a pic of my big beautiful boy

o5iaHiw.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP

Ira7

Banned
Banned
Feb 9, 2020
Coral Springs, FL
Parrots
YNA
Forget about the trust and his love for you. You’re still going to get bit. It’s what parrots do.

From what you’ve said, he’s not looking to kill you, and even with Amazons, the vast majority of bites are nothing. Don’t be afraid of them.

Remember:

You’re a lot bigger than that little ****ter!

Most Reactions

Latest posts