Advice as to why the aggression

Tmarshall

Oct 13, 2021
Parrots
Sun conure and parrotlet
My mom is visiting and does frequently and oddly enough JJ acts this way toward her or anyone new to the house and they have done nothing to him , all they do is go over to talk to him and he is trying to lung at them , attempting to reach and bite the beak is wide open clearly not happy and I don’t understand it. This concerns me because if I have to board him I don’t want him to do this . Anyone got advice or reasons?

Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
hi
Some burds protect their cage area. And some hesitancy can lead to teach them to bite.
Burds are reading body language, pupil size, flushing ect, if your mom feels fearful or unsure, the burd us picking that up. Burds take time to make friends with new people.
Mine will nit step from cage to a new person, but they will step from me to a new person. But I have worked on that, using what I share below.

At this point. I'd start over and pretend you just brought him home. Bribes of food treats seem the best way to make friends and teach them you are the bringer of the snacks @

If they don't take them nicely by hand at first. Then get a small treat only dish, and attach to the outside. Then like a million times a day walk over say hi " name" abd put treat in dish and walk away, I use a single safflower seed. Do very short target training sessions, no more than five reps then wait 20-30 min and repeat. You can teach them to move to one side of cage or to a stand and back to cage.

If he us good with you. Have him in a good calm mood. Have him step up fir you then have him step to the other person, you give him a treat then have him step back to you. Repeat a couple if times then wait snd do later. Do often. When he is good at thst and always is nice. Then you can start having them give the treat when he steps to them and you give treat when he steps back to you. After doing thst a few times a day fir how ever long it takes till he us really good about it. Then sit on the couch with the other person and hang out. Pass the birdie back and forth. Let him explore back and forth between you and hang out.
After he has bern behaving at that for several sessions. Teach him to step to hand held perch and then to you. When matured have him step to hand held perch then the other person. Then have the other person have him step to hand held perch and then them. That should fix it. Other people can go say hi and put treat in treat only dish as well. Only after you have reconditioned, can you allow them to say hi and give treat by hand.

Fun in hands off way if needed

Last edited:

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
My conure can be aggressive as well. She is especially hard to interact with if my husband is home. He is her chosen one, and she makes that very clear. At times she even bites me when my husband is around, and I am the main person who interacts with her. My ekkie does the same thing to my husband because he is bonded to me. I've learned from others on this forum that some parrots only bond to one person, and can be difficult to handle by others. It appears to be a issue with many different parrot species, and a lot of people struggle with this. I myself am still working on this with my ekkie. I've started to have my husband do more of my ekkies cares in hopes that this transpires into something positive.

OP
Tmarshall

Tmarshall

Oct 13, 2021
Parrots
Sun conure and parrotlet
hi
Some burds protect their cage area. And some hesitancy can lead to teach them to bite.
Burds are reading body language, pupil size, flushing ect, if your mom feels fearful or unsure, the burd us picking that up. Burds take time to make friends with new people.
Mine will nit step from cage to a new person, but they will step from me to a new person. But I have worked on that, using what I share below.

At this point. I'd start over and pretend you just brought him home. Bribes of food treats seem the best way to make friends and teach them you are the bringer of the snacks @

If they don't take them nicely by hand at first. Then get a small treat only dish, and attach to the outside. Then like a million times a day walk over say hi " name" abd put treat in dish and walk away, I use a single safflower seed. Do very short target training sessions, no more than five reps then wait 20-30 min and repeat. You can teach them to move to one side of cage or to a stand and back to cage.

If he us good with you. Have him in a good calm mood. Have him step up fir you then have him step to the other person, you give him a treat then have him step back to you. Repeat a couple if times then wait snd do later. Do often. When he is good at thst and always is nice. Then you can start having them give the treat when he steps to them and you give treat when he steps back to you. After doing thst a few times a day fir how ever long it takes till he us really good about it. Then sit on the couch with the other person and hang out. Pass the birdie back and forth. Let him explore back and forth between you and hang out.
After he has bern behaving at that for several sessions. Teach him to step to hand held perch and then to you. When matured have him step to hand held perch then the other person. Then have the other person have him step to hand held perch and then them. That should fix it. Other people can go say hi and put treat in treat only dish as well. Only after you have reconditioned, can you allow them to say hi and give treat by hand.

Fun in hands off way if needed

Thanks I have started something similar to this with my mom and so far he is taking to it very nicely

Most Reactions