Advice needed for new friends

Tmarshall

Oct 13, 2021
Parrots
Sun conure and parrotlet
Ok so now that Marty and JJ are friends I feel like at times they are exhibiting mating traits or attempting like Marty will stand over JJ with his butt in air all fluffed up while JJ is preening his belly lol both are dna tested and are BOYS lmao hence my dilemma I don’t know if this is cuz they are only 7mnth and it’s mating season but how do I encourage friendships and not sexual activity lol
953F9DCA-B110-4947-B894-D8FBC1437E2C.jpeg
8AE145C4-0B8D-43F4-A6D9-CAA2693203D6.jpeg

Last edited:

Emeral

Sep 16, 2021
Parrots
Hanhs Macaw
There are things to try, to take their mind off from it. You might already tried...?

1) giving them something new to do....individually, teaching new tricks, new commands one by one.

https://www.omlet.co.uk/guide/parrots/training_a_parrot/tricks/

2) reduce high energy food

3) To reduce hormones, reduce long daylight hours, give them 12 hours undisturbed sleep in the dark.

4) put each in a carrier, take them out to enjoy outdoor sight seeing. Any new place in a park or the mall will excite them.

5) increase introduction to human strangers

Hope this helps

OP
Tmarshall

Tmarshall

Oct 13, 2021
Parrots
Sun conure and parrotlet
There are things to try, to take their mind off from it. You might already tried...?

1) giving them something new to do....individually, teaching new tricks, new commands one by one.

https://www.omlet.co.uk/guide/parrots/training_a_parrot/tricks/

2) reduce high energy food

3) To reduce hormones, reduce long daylight hours, give them 12 hours undisturbed sleep in the dark.

4) put each in a carrier, take them out to enjoy outdoor sight seeing. Any new place in a park or the mall will excite them.

5) increase introduction to human strangers

Hope this helps
Thank you will definitely do that . Yesterday both had a screaming match and nothing I did stopped them. Doing things with Marty (nanday) is hard because he is so fearful of toys or new things. The broom when I am sweeping he about looses his mind I have to move him away from where I am sweeping . JJ and Marty like being near each other preening each other but when they start the regurgitation I just put my hand between them and so no no lol , but there are times I see JJ looking like he needs a break from Marty. But I will definitely give the tricks a try , definitely a walk in a carrier, now that they like being close it’s good cuz I only need one carrier lol

Most Reactions

Latest posts