African grey aggression when training

BB03

Dec 22, 2022
Parrots
3 year old African grey called George
Hello,
I have recently adopted a 3yo African grey called George from a friend who no longer had time for him. We get along well and George will allow me to put my hand in his cage to change things and will happily let me touch his beak, feet and belly when I put my fingers through the cage and he will present them to me to be touched. But anytime I try make progress with stepping up to make him handleable he will attack and run away from whatever perch goes near his feet inside or outside of the cage. He isn’t interested in treats or toys to be lured with either. The vet has said he is in good health so isn’t because he is Ill and not feeling great. Would love to be able to handle him so we can do more out of the cage. If anyone can suggest any tips to help make him less aggressive around stepping up would be much appreciated! Any questions please ask I just want to help him be happy.

Attachments

• E9FD325D-DB8F-4B2C-B3A6-1E0E25DDF9BB.jpeg
    E9FD325D-DB8F-4B2C-B3A6-1E0E25DDF9BB.jpeg
    217.9 KB · Views: 46
  • A130020A-70F4-4A03-965D-6001B0DDD8C4.jpeg
    A130020A-70F4-4A03-965D-6001B0DDD8C4.jpeg
    330.5 KB · Views: 46

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Try to figure out his favorite treat and that becomes your training tool. Could be some type f seed or nut, lay soome of each out on a table and let him choose. SOme birds don't work well with treats but do with lavish praise.

Leave the belly alone. Try to expand on the beak touching to progress to giving a head scratch if you can. Training parrots takes time for the idea of learning new stuff to sink in, and Greys are skittish about new things, usually. I would try to get hm to step up to a hand rather than a perch. Try training in a different area than his cage, like a neutral area, different room.

Once you find that reward that he loves, come on back and we can give you lot of tips and tricks to get him hand tame and much more.

Most Reactions

Latest posts