blhued

Apr 18, 2022
Iā€™m a highschool student and Iā€™ve wanted a bird since 6th grade. Iā€™ve done extensive research on them, both the good and the bad, though I know that it canā€™t completely prepare me for the real thing. I was originally going to wait until I was out of college to get a bird, my goal being adopting an African grey, but my grandmaā€™s friend is soon to be moving into assisted living and wonā€™t be able to bring her African grey with her. Iā€™ve met him before and had good experiences with him, with plans to continue meeting and bonding with him. The issue being Iā€™m a high school student that is involved in extracurricular activities and Iā€™m not sure how much time I could spend with the bird or how Iā€™d keep it entertained while gone. Iā€™d be getting the bird and two cages for free, along with the other supplies for it she has. She doesnā€™t know anyone else who would take him in, and as much as I want to, Iā€™m not sure if that would be the best thing for the bird/how I could ever convince my parents of it. If anyone has advice Iā€™d appreciate it.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I would say it depends on how much backing you can expect from your parents.
The cost of the bird and cage is just the beginning.
what I mean is just because the initial cost is low you have to keep in mind it's the tip of the iceberg.
Trips to the vet and continuing toys and food.

Can your parents take care of your bird when you can't be there?

I think most member of the PF would recommend you wait till you are more settled with a job and a place to live of your own.

I love my African Grey but she does take extra care and attention that others of my flock don't require.

Good luck whatever you decide.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Giving you a bump.
Sometimes things get missed.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
well its a hard one to advise on.
On one hand us a parrot in need and a person who wants a parrot in their life and has made an effort to research sbd meet him. And is your dream species.

As a long lived species you will have lots of years together.

But its a difficult time in life to make the commitment ...and some sacrifices to make it work.

Here is advice given to me that I have never forgotten , and have used for every difficult or tricky situation since. ( I was trying for an out of state internship in a very limited field , at the time, and had to take on my college, my parents, ect to make it work) The interviewer offered me the position, and really wanted me to take it. When I raised some of the concerns. He said " Decide how badly you want it, decide what you are willing to give up to get it. Then the details will sort themselves out."
Chills! Best advice I've ever gotten!
I said yes, waged war on campus to approve first out of state internship..it was non paid so....a lot to accomplish. Changed the course of my life and was instrumental in achieving my life goals and dream job.

So if you can ask yourself and be completely honest with yourself, you have your answer.

I've had other situations I've asked myself that , and said no the what I had to give up or sacrifice was to big.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
You really want to look at this from the point of view of electing to adopting a very young child. In reality this would not happen, but it provides a moment of clarity, which is needed. All of your time not directed at your education is directed to your child /parrot!! The same goes for money, etc..

Short answer, not at this time in your life!

Squeekmouse

May 31, 2017
Illinois
Parrots
Yoda, Green Cheek Conure - Trigger, Congo African Grey
" Decide how badly you want it, decide what you are willing to give up to get it. Then the details will sort themselves out."
Chills! Best advice I've ever gotten!
Wow... that's beautiful! I love those words of wisdom.

I agree with the advice of all who have responded, although I have my own to add, for whatever it's worth.

I've been watching this thread since right after you posted because I wanted to help, but it's a REALLY tough question. I have an African Grey and a Green Cheek Conure and I can say from experience that an African Grey is a REAL challenge. It is as others have said, a lot like having a permanently 3 year old child... who flies... and a large, sharp beak.

On the other hand, I think of what will happen to my sweet Trigger when I am old and grey and I need to find Trigger a new home. It breaks my heart to even think of it... but when that day comes I would sure love to see one of my nieces or nephews give him a home. It seems more likely that a family member would feel love and attachment to by little winged child. Plus, you are young, so you will likely be able to love and cherish the little Fid (feathered kid) for the rest of his/her years. That's a wonderful thing!

Yes, this is a time in your life where you will be going through a lot of changes. You are short on money to care for the bird, and for the next 5-10 years you will probably be short on money and time both. You will have to commit to providing as much of your time and love and attention and patience as you possibly can to your Fid, they won't understand why you can't if you don't.

My biggest nightmare when I think of what will happen to Trigger in 40 or 50 years, is that he will go from one home to another to another, scared and lonely and (please God no!) neglected. If you can stop that from happening to this African Grey, it would be a truly beautiful gift of love to the Fid and to your grandma's friend. :)

Whatever you choose, Good luck! We here at the ParrotForums will be here to help you with advice and encouragement if/when you need it.

Most Reactions