Age?

sjowens

Feb 22, 2013
Nebraska, USA
Parrots
Eclectus(red and blue) and an cockatiel
I just got my Eclectus about 3 months ago. Her named is Jezzy :rainbow1: I was wondering is there a way to tell what age she is? I do not know how old she is because my moms friend rescued her and gave her to me.

Peeker

Feb 10, 2013
Parrots
Jax-Eclectus
Tina-Eclectus
Ruby-Eclectus
I don't know if there is any good way to tell age. Vets can tell a young bird from an old by feet and such but I'm not sure how accurate they can be.

CathnPoe

Oct 17, 2012
Media
NSW, Australia
Parrots
1 male Eclectus, Poe.
If she's an adult bird - had a molt, her beak fully black, etc. Then there is almost no way to decipher how old she is, even for a vet. Maybe blood works can reveal something?
If she still has young elements to her appearance, then vet should be able to tell you pretty quickly.

OP
S

sjowens

Feb 22, 2013
Nebraska, USA
Parrots
Eclectus(red and blue) and an cockatiel
Thanks everyone. :) I found out how old she is by the band on her foot. I called the breeder that was on the band. They sent me all her paper work. Jezzy is 7 years old.

coltfire

Mar 24, 2013
Media
campbelltown
Parrots
eclectus parrots x 4
cockateils x 4
budgies x 22
lories x 2
babies all year round
very lucky, with out that band there would be no way not even blood works would be able to tell you her age .enjoy your new friend.

Jtbirds

Banned
Banned
Mar 6, 2013
Pennsylvania
I do remove bands, but I keep them in bags with names on them, so if they ever went to a different home they can still have the information off it,but I'm sure many people don't do that. Sadly as everyone else said hard to tell without identification.:(

Most Reactions