Hi everyone,
I have a pair of almost two-year-old Green-cheeked Conures. They have free flight throughout my living room all day and have several play areas of their own. They have plenty of enrichment, including foraging activities, clicker training and things to chew on. They sleep in a nest box with holes in it, which is placed inside a cage.
For about six months now, however, I think they have become territorial about “their” areas. When I approach their bird stand, they fluff up (as you can see in the photo), pace around agitatedly, and most importantly, if I touch anything on the bird stand, they bite me. They bite very hard, sometimes enough to draw blood. This often makes it difficult for me to put fresh vegetables on the stand.
They have never been cuddly or hand-tame, and they are parent-raised rather than hand-fed. However, they are quite affectionate in their own way: they like sitting on my shoulder, head or hand, where they will sometimes fall asleep or preen themselves. They enjoy being close to me, but they have never allowed me to touch them, which is completely fine with me.
My first thought is that the nest box might be triggering hormonal or breeding-related behavior. On the other hand, they really only use it for sleeping and don't spend time hanging around in dark corners or anything like that.
Should I remove the nest box? Or could there be another reason for this behavior? Is this something that is fairly normal at their age?
I have a pair of almost two-year-old Green-cheeked Conures. They have free flight throughout my living room all day and have several play areas of their own. They have plenty of enrichment, including foraging activities, clicker training and things to chew on. They sleep in a nest box with holes in it, which is placed inside a cage.
For about six months now, however, I think they have become territorial about “their” areas. When I approach their bird stand, they fluff up (as you can see in the photo), pace around agitatedly, and most importantly, if I touch anything on the bird stand, they bite me. They bite very hard, sometimes enough to draw blood. This often makes it difficult for me to put fresh vegetables on the stand.
They have never been cuddly or hand-tame, and they are parent-raised rather than hand-fed. However, they are quite affectionate in their own way: they like sitting on my shoulder, head or hand, where they will sometimes fall asleep or preen themselves. They enjoy being close to me, but they have never allowed me to touch them, which is completely fine with me.
My first thought is that the nest box might be triggering hormonal or breeding-related behavior. On the other hand, they really only use it for sleeping and don't spend time hanging around in dark corners or anything like that.
Should I remove the nest box? Or could there be another reason for this behavior? Is this something that is fairly normal at their age?
Attachments
-
WhatsApp Image 2026-09-28 at 13.15.05.webp251.3 KB · Views: 10 -
WhatsApp Image 2026-09-28 at 13.14.50.webp260.5 KB · Views: 2 -
WhatsApp Image 2026-09-28 at 13.12.39 (3).webp124.2 KB · Views: 2 -
WhatsApp Image 2026-09-28 at 13.12.39 (5).webp229.9 KB · Views: 2 -
WhatsApp Image 2026-09-28 at 13.12.39 (1).webp91.2 KB · Views: 1







