Alexandrine found with outdoors

adash

Aug 11, 2012
Hi guys,
My name is Adam, I am from Poland. It is my first post here, english is not my mother tongue so please be tolerant if you do not understand something. I really need your help.

Before I have found mentioned alexandrine I had had few parrots in my life, one cocatiel, and those the smallest (I do not know word in english ;) ). One day my girlfriend found an alexandrine in front of her block of flat. Fortunately, he reached my home now and he is fine. Apart from the fact he is picking his feathers out all the time, sometimes even he bleeds... The problem is, I do not know how to help him. He seems to be have very limited trust for people however he takes food from the hand. Do you know how can I help this parrot so he will not pick his feathers out any tricks to make him more trustful ?

PCil2fKg.jpeg

i1weNUAg.jpeg

Greets, Adam

Last edited:

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
Can you get him to a vet that sees birds? There could be many things causing him to pick out feathers. The food he eats and the stress level plays a big part in this. Suggest you get some high quality bird food in the way of fresh veggies and fruits. If you can find pellets it would be good too. Birds seem to like melons, apples (no apple seeds) and grapes. Poor guy looks to be in rough shape. Good thing you have him now. He is most likely dehydrated and underweight. Offer lots of fresh water and keep the environment calm for a while. I would just let him be so he gets used to his new home. Thank you for finding us and asking for help. You came to the right place.

You should bird-proof you home as they are fairly active, curious birds. No teflon products in the kitchen or elsewhere, no sprays, plug-ins to make the place smell good. Cigarette smoke is not good for them either. They need about 10-12 hrs. of quiet, uninteruppted sleep at night. Main thing though is to have him checked out by a doc.

http://www.petheartprints.com/Parrot/alexandrine_parrot.html

Last edited:

basia

Jul 9, 2012
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
(Chiquita)Alexandrine(RIP)
(Coco) GCC (RIP)
get him to a bird vet,there could be many things that are making him pluck.
your english is very good.
ja mowie po polsku wiec jak by co to jest pomoc ,po pierwsze to nie jest alexandrine tylko ringneck (ringneck jest mniejsza)po drugie icz do veterinarza bo ona moze byc chora dlatego nie ma piur. poprostu jak sie boji ludzi to powolutku do niej sie z blizaj i gadaj do niej i daj jej jedzenie ktore lubi z reki i powoli nauczy sie ze nie ma sie czego bac.jak by co to pytaj ;)

Last edited:

Ash

Nov 20, 2011
Hamilton, New Zealand
This bird looks like an Indian Ringneck, I say that as Alexandrines don't have a bottom black beak. And he looks like a blue colour.

I also agree with spiritbird.

OP
A

adash

Aug 11, 2012
Thanks guys for your interest and replies.
About Indian Ringneck, yes you are totally right, just in polish the common name is Alexandrine, that is why I posted this thread here, sorry about that :rolleyes: His color is grey

Actually, my new parrot has been at my home for about 3 weeks. Just after he was found I brought him to the vet, he is totally healthy, even he was examined for the presence of parasites as the cause of loosing feathers. I buy the best food that I can find in local stores, I have some experience with previous parrots that I used to have. I give him veggies and some fruits. He is probably 4 years old and he comes from Slovakia, the label on his ring says so. He is really keen to take food from hand (like biscuits), but just after he runs away. His cage is all the time open (I hate keeping parrots closed), but he is not willing to fly. When I try to approach he runs away. I do not want to make him stressful that is why I observe him from the distance. What is more in comparison with my previous parrots he is really quiet, he does not croak or whistle at all. Sometimes he flutters his wings very fast standing on top of the cage (strange?).

As for the advantages and positive symptoms :p When there is nobody at room he visits some places around the cage. Also from time to time he is washing his head in the small "basin" I have prepared. And the most impressive thing to me was: when I gave him a biscuit, he went with this biscuit to the little mug with water and he dipped it to make it softer :D

Greets, Adam

Pookamama

Jul 10, 2012
Oregon, USA
Parrots
Pepper, a Timneh African Grey
Adam, it sounds like you are doing the right things, it will take awhile for him to trust humans so just have lots of patience. Talk to him quite a bit, get him used to your voice. I am reading a book called the Guide to A Well Behaved Parrot by Athan. It has a lot of suggested games to get a shy parrot used to you. A good website is Sally Blanchard's Guide to Companion Parrots.

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
That is all good news. Have you named him yet? Appears he is exercising his wings at times which is good.

friedsoup

May 5, 2012
North Carolina
Parrots
Senegal Male Bogart
He might not want to fly as that is how he got into the trouble you rescued him from (not knowing how to forage food or where to find water and always being afraid something was going to eat him) Try to give him lots of paper and wood toys to chew on instead of his feathers a beak busy with toys isn't being used to pull feathers. Good luck and yes your english is better than mine and I was born here .

Most Reactions