Alexandrine parrot new tail itching

a444093

May 30, 2021
Hello there.. i am the owner of a 2.5 yr old alexandrine parrot..my parrot is unable to sleep as it feels some type of itching in its tail area.. we looked at it and found that 3 small tails are growing there but one seems to have blood at its ends.. i am very confused what to do as there are no good vet around and parrot stopped talking and is shaking his tail all day out of discomfort ..pls help

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
This is very concerning..Can you post a picture?

Is there a vet within a few hours that you could drive him to? It could be so many things, but the fact that there is blood involved and that it is preventing sleep makes it very serious (as sleep is so essential to immune health and hormones). Birds can also easily bleed to death because they have so little blood.

Do you mean that there are 3 feathers coming from 1 hole? I'm trying to envision what you mean when you say "3 tails"

Parrots hide illness instinctively. This is CLEARLY upsetting him a lot and could also be in indicator of an internal infection, or some other issue...The fact that he is showing visible signs and vocalizations have stopped mean that you need to get him to an avian vet even if it means driving 3 hours.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts