Allow me to officially introduce Winston Pionion, the Eclectus

shinyuankuo

May 9, 2019
State College, PA
Parrots
Winston 屁撚, the Eclectus. 屁撚 (pi-nian) came from Pinion (Psalms 64, meaning flight feather, typifying God's soaring power.)
While I have posted about him already, I have not really introduced our green chicken, Winston Pinion, to the forum. I finally feel confident to do so after 2 months of having him.

Pictures first!

shinyuankuo-albums-winston-pinion-picture22118-chillin.jpeg
This is him just chilling tonight after a big fat meal. He ate probably 30 grams tonight.

shinyuankuo-albums-winston-pinion-picture22120-almond-dinasour.jpeg

He hated shower, so we bribed...creating a half wet almond monster.

shinyuankuo-albums-winston-pinion-picture22119-stole-millet.jpeg

He found where I store his food. Need I say more? Thief...

Winston came to us through Craigslist. He is 12 years old. He was very loved and well socialized at his previous home. His previous mom did not have time for him anymore. Winston however was on a seed-based diet, which we had to change. He is now on chop/TOP mix.

Winston speaks quite well and is very open to communicate with us. When he is happy, he speaks a pleasant "hmmmm..." When he is not happy, it is a nasty "MEEEEEH!" Otherwise he says "Winston!", "Wanna step up?", "What cha doin'?!" and quite a few random words. We are trying to teach him Chinese because that's what we speak at home mostly. :rolleyes:

Winston has achieved so many things in the past 2 months.

1. He is no longer on seeds. It is now frozen chop and TOP mix. He gets almond, goji berries, and fruit pieces for treats. He has never toe-tapped to my knowledge.
2. He is not actively biting anymore. He enjoys us being around.
3. He learned to step up to hand instead of arm. He only does that for food though lol.
4. He did AMAZINGLY well when we were gone during the holidays. It was a planned trip before his adoption. Friends came to bird sit him 2-3 times a day. He gained a community of bird slaves and was happy to have us back, too.

After so many wonderful things, we know Winston is here to stay (at least to the best of our ability). We found out from the vet recently that Winston is ABV positive (no symptom whatsoever), so Winston will never get a bird friend. We know ABV is not a death sentence, so we will just hope for the best and enjoy him as long as we can.

Please welcome us again.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
What wonderful updates in Winston!! Welcome! Thanks for taking in a rehome !

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer “Scree� - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel
Winston is a beautiful boy, and it sounds like he is thriving with you! Thanks for the pictures....we love to see pictures of everyone’s flock :).

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Handsome boy, you've done wonders with him! Thanks for rescuing and correcting his diet.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Welcome and be welcomed. I always liked the name Winston for a parrot, having had a YNA 40yrs ago with the same moniker. He looks great !!!

charmedbyekkie

May 24, 2018
US/SG
Parrots
Cairo the Ekkie!
Yay, so glad to meet him formally with the cute pics too :)

I know a cockatoo who only speaks Hokkien :p, so if he does pick up Chinese, please do share videos!!

OP
shinyuankuo

shinyuankuo

May 9, 2019
State College, PA
Parrots
Winston 屁撚, the Eclectus. 屁撚 (pi-nian) came from Pinion (Psalms 64, meaning flight feather, typifying God's soaring power.)
Thank you everyone! This week was another roller-coaster with Winston. It has been awesome that Winston picked my husband as his favorite person in the household. I was the one who wanted a parrot, and my husband was just tagging along, but now he is 100% invested.

Winston is very chilled and almost obedient to my husband, and I became the bad mom...Winston's tolerance to me is on the lower end. It's still awesome overall. I just got work to do/blood to shed with Winston (or as other member said, I gotta pull my big girl panties up.)

He has not learned to speak anything new with us, yet. He imitates, but everything comes out like "ah ah". Still working on the "Asianization" of this green chicken.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Thank you everyone! This week was another roller-coaster with Winston. It has been awesome that Winston picked my husband as his favorite person in the household. I was the one who wanted a parrot, and my husband was just tagging along, but now he is 100% invested.

Winston is very chilled and almost obedient to my husband, and I became the bad mom...Winston's tolerance to me is on the lower end. It's still awesome overall. I just got work to do/blood to shed with Winston (or as other member said, I gotta pull my big girl panties up.)

He has not learned to speak anything new with us, yet. He imitates, but everything comes out like "ah ah". Still working on the "Asianization" of this green chicken.

Deep respect for not dismissing Winston when he chose your husband as favorite. Parrots are capable of varied but friendly relationships with multiple people.

Techniques for developing a closer bond: http://www.parrotforums.com/general-parrot-information/49144-tips-bonding-building-trust.html
Bite Pressure Training may reduce the frequency and severity of his "discipline:" http://www.parrotforums.com/training/63988-bite-pressure-training.html

Most Reactions

Latest posts