Always feels good to make a good batch of mashed

Billdore

Nov 12, 2016
Vermont
Parrots
African Grey Timneh
Takes a minute but it’s a good feeling when a job is done well. Gotta keep my Queen happy. She’s quite demanding of her servants. Timneh still won’t eat most of her veggies so I still make sweet potato mashed. Got Banana, Apple, blueberries, mangoes, and orange for fruit. Celery, carrots, green pepper, bok choy, kale, sweet potatoes, and broccoli for veggies. I try to shoot for 10% fruit. She loves fruit just not her vegetables. Typical toddler lol. I do one a day a lot hits the floor but we try.

Last edited:

Katelyn

Aug 25, 2018
Good job! Ill be doing this soon too! I discovered recently that my Congo loves oranges. She eats on them all day if I would let her. She does like some veggies though, thankfully! I just got her a little over a week ago. Were trying to work on bonding, and working through some behavioral issues. They sure are lovely aren't they? :grey:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
My my that's a lot! :) Funny thing with both my quakers they love veggies! Could hardly care less about the fruit! My GCC though does love her plums. I like sweet potatoes maybe I'll make some mash with veggies for myself,!!! If a parrot steals some oh well ;)

OP
Billdore

Billdore

Nov 12, 2016
Vermont
Parrots
African Grey Timneh
They certainly are amazing. It will be 2 years a week before Thanksgiving that I've had Timneh. I think she will be 5 in April approximately. She has no leg band and no paper work. She is my little Gray baby.

Katelyn

Aug 25, 2018
They certainly are amazing. It will be 2 years a week before Thanksgiving that I've had Timneh. I think she will be 5 in April approximately. She has no leg band and no paper work. She is my little Gray baby.

Thats awesome! Yeah, my chloe didnt come with a band or paperwork either. I was just told she come from a breeder at a bird show. She had one home for 10 years. She sure is a stinker though. ;)

OP
Billdore

Billdore

Nov 12, 2016
Vermont
Parrots
African Grey Timneh
Timneh digging into her dinner. I know she came from a breeder in Florida and her approximate age.

Last edited:

Katelyn

Aug 25, 2018
Timneh digging into her dinner. I know she came from a breeder in Florida and her approximate age.

aww cute! Same. They tell me between 10 to 15 years old. How long did it take her to warm up to you? Mine seems to act different every day. One day shes excited, dancing, playing with her toys and whistling, and the next shes real quiet and looks sad. She tries to bite us if our hands are anywhere near her so we have been working on keeping our distance and only doing the neccesary food changes. Ive had her 12 days .

OP
Billdore

Billdore

Nov 12, 2016
Vermont
Parrots
African Grey Timneh
It took about a month for her to warm up to me. I’d go into the pet store and visit and talk to her for about an hour or so everyday. I was told that the previous owners said she wasn’t friendly. I don’t think they were willing to take the time to get to know her and take a few nips. So I feel like I got lucky cause she’s so awesome now. She still isn’t super friendly with other people but she does let some people hold her. And she’ll fly into just about anybodies head. Not sure what that’s all about exactly. Everyday I’m learning new stuff. She trains me well thankfully she only pinches to get her point across. Bite pressure training was one of the first things we had to work on. They are so strong. I’m sure Chloe will warm up to you just going through an adjustment period. They are super sensitive to emotions. I think it really blew Timnehs mind when I met her and she bit me and broke the skin and I just kept smiling at her. I bet Chloe is just kind of testing you guys a bit to see your reactions.

Katelyn

Aug 25, 2018
It took about a month for her to warm up to me. I’d go into the pet store and visit and talk to her for about an hour or so everyday. I was told that the previous owners said she wasn’t friendly. I don’t think they were willing to take the time to get to know her and take a few nips. So I feel like I got lucky cause she’s so awesome now. She still isn’t super friendly with other people but she does let some people hold her. And she’ll fly into just about anybodies head. Not sure what that’s all about exactly. Everyday I’m learning new stuff. She trains me well thankfully she only pinches to get her point across. Bite pressure training was one of the first things we had to work on. They are so strong. I’m sure Chloe will warm up to you just going through an adjustment period. They are super sensitive to emotions. I think it really blew Timnehs mind when I met her and she bit me and broke the skin and I just kept smiling at her. I bet Chloe is just kind of testing you guys a bit to see your reactions.

Sounds similiar to my first bird I had a few years back. Got him from a pet store, visited him for about an hour every day, but unfortunately he passed away. Thats so wonderful Timneh warmed up to you! Its true that everyday we learn something new about them. They are very strong! I have a bruise still from the 2nd day we had her. Still waiting for her to give me the go ahead to touch her again but I know that could take some time. I know what you mean about emotions. Shes probably testing us, Lol! Do I wanna find out!? :D

Soo, question? What kind of sleep schedule is your Timneh on? I am finding it hard to find a consecutive sleep schedule for Chloe. We just moved, and my husband seperated from the Air Force yesterday. He has a whole week off and hes "enjoying" it by staying up late. Also, when he starts his new job, he will be working from 3pm to 11 pm. Once hes off, we will have that time to go to the gym, groceries, etc. I am gonna find it hard to get her on schedule with the whole daylight , darkness thing. I also stay up late due to being an artist, I work on my art at night as thats when I do my best. I keep hearing give them 12 hours, other people say 7 or 8. I dont wanna cover her and keep her up if were in the same room at night. Confusing!:eek:

OP
Billdore

Billdore

Nov 12, 2016
Vermont
Parrots
African Grey Timneh
I think it depends a lot on Chloe. Timneh is on an abnormal parrot schedule. I also work and so Timneh wants to hang out when I get home. Timnehs able to take naps and I think this is what keeps her able to keep my strange schedule. I don’t cover her but I move upstairs and she doesn’t make a peep until she hears me get up. Which can differ time wise. So I got really lucky with such an adaptable parrot. You’ll have to see what kind of schedule Chloe wants to keep. I think though it’s closer to the 10-12 hours of sleep they need each day to not be cranky and have other health issues.

OP
Billdore

Billdore

Nov 12, 2016
Vermont
Parrots
African Grey Timneh
Timneh went to bed last night at about 1:30am and was up at 10 when I got up. But she will take a nap when I go to work and get rested up for another late night. I Do no think all parrots could handle her schedule. She loves me and wants to hang out with me so she adapted I feel like. She’s one of those parrots that never asks to go to bed and has to be bribed to go to bed.

Katelyn

Aug 25, 2018
Timneh went to bed last night at about 1:30am and was up at 10 when I got up. But she will take a nap when I go to work and get rested up for another late night. I Do no think all parrots could handle her schedule. She loves me and wants to hang out with me so she adapted I feel like. She’s one of those parrots that never asks to go to bed and has to be bribed to go to bed.

Wow, you are lucky to have such a sweetie! Yes, you mentioned naps , and I do take naps, and when I do, I turn out her light and tell her "take a nap, chloe" and Im hoping this will give her extra sleep. I know its not the best for her but its what I have to do during this weird time. Im hoping we can bond to where it doesnt affect her so bad that she ends up cranky. I do notice though, the nights where she sleeps more, she is in a better mood, obviously. Same for us humans! Lol! I appreciate you chatting with me. I have also joined another forum on a different website and those people tend to be a little bossy and blunt no matter what you say or how good you think your doing. Im over here like "im trying my best to do what I can as a new african grey mom, thats why im here, asking for advice, not to be bossed around..jeeze." I rewarded chloe for coming to me and getting a treat and was excited to tell the forum about it , and this one particular person keeps butting in and telling me im doing the wrong thing. She seems to do this to everyone and honestly it just ruins it for everybody because it makes us feel like were not good enough to post on there. So THANK YOU for being so nice:) :grey:

OP
Billdore

Billdore

Nov 12, 2016
Vermont
Parrots
African Grey Timneh
I certainly know what its like to be the new guy. I was new to the forums and to parrots. I did my research and decided which parrot I wanted to get. Joined up here and posted in the new member section until I was told that's just for introductions. LOL oops I think people just get really passionate about parrots cause they love them so darn much and once you understand how smart they are and how much care they need you get worried that they aren't getting it. Try to take everything with a grain of salt everyone has the parrots well being as first priority. So even if they seem mean they still actually really care about your bird. I have a pet peeve when people constantly refer to their parrot as IT. They are just so much more. I've definitely have been border line rude before which I'm not super proud of but there's a lot of emotions and feeling when parrots are involved with Parronts. I know Timneh is my little baby. They are really life changing. Ask away in this forum and try not to take anything personally, there are a ton of super knowledgeable people on here who really know, care, and understand parrots. Good luck with Chloe I know she will come around as soon as she realizes you're just a good of a hOOman as her other Parronts were. Shhhhh maybe even better.

Katelyn

Aug 25, 2018
I certainly know what its like to be the new guy. I was new to the forums and to parrots. I did my research and decided which parrot I wanted to get. Joined up here and posted in the new member section until I was told that's just for introductions. LOL oops I think people just get really passionate about parrots cause they love them so darn much and once you understand how smart they are and how much care they need you get worried that they aren't getting it. Try to take everything with a grain of salt everyone has the parrots well being as first priority. So even if they seem mean they still actually really care about your bird. I have a pet peeve when people constantly refer to their parrot as IT. They are just so much more. I've definitely have been border line rude before which I'm not super proud of but there's a lot of emotions and feeling when parrots are involved with Parronts. I know Timneh is my little baby. They are really life changing. Ask away in this forum and try not to take anything personally, there are a ton of super knowledgeable people on here who really know, care, and understand parrots. Good luck with Chloe I know she will come around as soon as she realizes you're just a good of a hOOman as her other Parronts were. Shhhhh maybe even better.

haha! That made me smile :) Yes I know what you mean. Its good that people care so much for their parrots. I know I do! I cry because I feel like she doesnt like me. LOL I have turned into crazy parrot mom in a week. Constantly telling my husband "shh, shes sleeping!" or "dont feed her that peanut!!" , Im a mess. The "IT" thing bugs the hell out of me to. Like WHY!? Timneh is just the cutest name! Thank you so much for your support ! Ill keep you updated on her.

Most Reactions