Am i allergic to IRN nail or feet?

JuliaGrace

Dec 28, 2015
The Outback, QLD
Parrots
Blue Indian Ringneck
My female ringneck has extremely long nails, I recently purchased her and they obviously never clipped her nails. They are razor sharp and are like needles.

Yes, I'm trying to clip them myself, but she is scared whenever I put the nail clipper even close to her, I put her on her back and roll her over, she likes it when I do this because I rub her, but if I put the clipper near her she will scratch me and bite. (she never ever bites)

She is very tame, but whenever I put her on my finger or hand, her nails literally pierce through my skin. I have all these red marks, scratches and welts.

Is it a reaction or just my skin?

I've had many birds and I've never had this. though their nails were clipped...

PHOTOS

Skin photos:http://imgur.com/a/Z2FHA

ZephyrFly

Sep 21, 2014
UK
Parrots
Pazu - Green Cheek Conure - Hatch Date ~27 September 2014~
2 things:
1. Your laptop keyboard is awesome.

2. a series of questions,
How long do the marks last?
Do they itch/hurt/warm to touch?
Does this happen every time?

As for nail clipping, leave the nail clippers in sight for a week before you plan to clip his nails. He needs some time to get over the fact they exist near him. Then start by bringing the clippers to his toes then away without doing anything (for a few days). Spend like 5-10 a day doing this. He may not like it the first few times, and start by taking as little nail as possible (1mm or less), though you'll never want to take more really.

Does he have some kind of rough/cement perch in his cage? I used to clip my gcc's nail every few months but since I got a cement perch (and he really likes it weirdly) I haven't really needed to clip then. I could maybe stand to blunt them abit but they aren't offensive.

OP
J

JuliaGrace

Dec 28, 2015
The Outback, QLD
Parrots
Blue Indian Ringneck
2 things:
1. Your laptop keyboard is awesome.

2. a series of questions,
How long do the marks last?
Do they itch/hurt/warm to touch?
Does this happen every time?

As for nail clipping, leave the nail clippers in sight for a week before you plan to clip his nails. He needs some time to get over the fact they exist near him. Then start by bringing the clippers to his toes then away without doing anything (for a few days). Spend like 5-10 a day doing this. He may not like it the first few times, and start by taking as little nail as possible (1mm or less), though you'll never want to take more really.

Does he have some kind of rough/cement perch in his cage? I used to clip my gcc's nail every few months but since I got a cement perch (and he really likes it weirdly) I haven't really needed to clip then. I could maybe stand to blunt them abit but they aren't offensive.

Oh thank you :D its very colourful haha,

I just put some wound ointment on it to sooth it, but it burns.

Prior to putting the ointment on it was really itchy, I'm pretty sure its just because of the nails because on the inside of my hand, it was bleeding and all she did was stand there. Yes, they are THAT sharp. ahh, scary :11:

The marks are still lasting, they are still red and a bit wilted. I just put some ointment on.

This also never happens, I have a baby ringneck and this doesn't happen and I used to have a budgie, it never happened as well. But I do have a cement perch in my cupboard, that is a great idea and I will certainly put it in the cage :21:

khaiqha

Sep 19, 2012
Lewisville, TX
Parrots
Alexandrine Ringneck,
about to be getting a Jardine's
I have an Alexandrine, and the same thing happens to my hands. Cement perches do help.

ZephyrFly

Sep 21, 2014
UK
Parrots
Pazu - Green Cheek Conure - Hatch Date ~27 September 2014~
Put the perch in a high position in the cage so she'll more likely use it but not the highest perch. Cement perches can rub their feet, not a given but best avoided.

Although what you described doesn't sound promising, there's no other proof of an allergy. You would likely react to your other birds too ( though I am not personally experienced with allergies).

I would say wait for it to calm down, wear sleeves next few times you handle pointy-toed-McGee while it clears up. If it doesn't clear then obviously go see your doctor.

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
I suggest you trim her nails ASAP, or have it done by someone else. Get a pedi perch, but get a high quality one that won't hurt her feet. Keep her nails filed/trimmed/dremmeled, etc. this happens to me with all birds who need a good trim, and none who don't.

Most Reactions

Latest posts