Am I the only one currently not doing formal training sessions with my birds

FieryPhoenix

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
Quaker Parrot Sun Conure
I have made several attempts to consistently do it but can’t seem to stick with it.

Now this doesn’t keen my birds are not trained but as of now I am not setting aside a bit of time to set them on a T perch and clicker train.

My birds enjoy doing other things with me like singing songs, dancing, going outside and bathrime!

They are also 18 years old.

Is this bad. I may start up again in the fall but life is a bit crazy now.

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
I don't do them. I don't think it's bad, either! My birds like doing basic tricks, but they're also perfectly happy without.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I also don't do formal training sessions with my birds. We trained them on what we felt was important, like getting them back into their cage. I think it's up to the person on whether they do or not. It can be a great way to interact if the training sessions are something the bird looks forward to, but if they don't then I think it's better not to do it.

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
I don't have anything resembling a training schedule. I wish I could say I did, but life gets in the way, you know? I choose to just spend quality time with my two. It's a juggling act since I can't have them out together. They get individual, undivided attention for as much time as I have available every day. We talk, sing, I dance but they're not impressed lol, and they just enjoy spending time with their dad, mostly on my shoulder. They LOVE shower time, and I have a routine for each of them for that, preferred shower perches and all. :)

Example, morning feeding time, they take turns supervising. Baxter just now:
20220521_110829.jpg

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I don't have anything resembling a training schedule. I wish I could say I did, but life gets in the way, you know? I choose to just spend quality time with my two. It's a juggling act since I can't have them out together. They get individual, undivided attention for as much time as I have available every day. We talk, sing, I dance but they're not impressed lol, and they just enjoy spending time with their dad, mostly on my shoulder. They LOVE shower time, and I have a routine for each of them for that, preferred shower perches and all. :)

Example, morning feeding time, they take turns supervising. Baxter just now:
View attachment 40213
This is so precious!!! Looks like Baxter is training you:)

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
This is so precious!!! Looks like Baxter is training you:)
She's hands down, the snuggliest zon I've ever met. I love my girl ❀️ Tucker, well, let's just say there's a good handful of jealous ekkie people out there. He's as sweet and loving and handleable as they come, and that's saying something for an ekkie. :) I've been so blessed with these two.

So, back to the question at hand, FieryPhoenix, don't worry or feel bad about a training schedule. As long as you have a happy bird, just go with what works best for you both. :)

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
No formal training.
None of my birds are interested in eating anything tasty when out of cage. Food rewards just won’t work.
If I left there food dish empty overnight and tried training in the morning it might work but thatβ€˜s too close to using hunger as a tool.

I am satisfied with step up and letting my birds behave like birds. There play and gymnastics are interesting and frequently surprising.

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Feb 20, 2022
I haven't tried yet - but I can see a more formal clicker based training being something Cotton would enjoy. I think it might give us a common language where right now I'm not very good at listening to what he's telling me.

My son/gf's cockatiel wasn't formally trained a lot - mostly basic husbandry skills and recall training - and at their last vet visit they were told he's the most confident, cooperative avian patient their vet has seen in a long time. So it's definitely not necessary for a happy bird with a well rounded life :)

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
I am of the other camp, as many on here know. I train with Salty almost every day, at a set time. He really looks forward to these sessions and if I skip a night, he gets upset. He comes to the sessions so eager to do and learn new things, almost running to each trick or prop. Salty knows when its almost 8:45 PM that Daddy starts to clear off the coffee table ( our training table) and laying out the nights tricks, toys and props.

But i agree with most here that training sessions are not the most important thing to do with your parrot. Most important is one on one time doing what ever makes you both happy. Playing, singing, scratching, they relish the time with you.

cnyguy

Apr 23, 2010
Syracuse, NY
Parrots
Quaker parrot, Ralph
I've never done formal training sessions with either Scooter or Ralph-- just lots of interactions of different kinds with both parrots. When I first got Ralph, I tried more structured training sessions, but he wasn't having any of it-- just preferred to do his own thing.
The first trick Ralph learned happened by accident. He was down on the bottom grate, trying to retrieve a piece of popcorn stuck between the bars of the grate. He inadvertently rolled over like a puppy, and I made a big fuss over it. He loved that, and rolled over again and again, and eventually learned to do it on request-- when he's in the mood. ☺️

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
I am of the other camp, as many on here know. I train with Salty almost every day, at a set time. He really looks forward to these sessions and if I skip a night, he gets upset. He comes to the sessions so eager to do and learn new things, almost running to each trick or prop. Salty knows when its almost 8:45 PM that Daddy starts to clear off the coffee table ( our training table) and laying out the nights tricks, toys and props.

But i agree with most here that training sessions are not the most important thing to do with your parrot. Most important is one on one time doing what ever makes you both happy. Playing, singing, scratching, they relish the time with you.

Welllllllllllllllllllll... at the top of the training continuum is Salty, boy-genius, trained and finessed by Professor Al (Mr. GoodWrench)... and bringing up the tail-end is the ill-tempered, bad-mannered, what-is-training? Rickeybird.
Hey. WHAT AL SAID.

OP
F

FieryPhoenix

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
Quaker Parrot Sun Conure
Thank you for the responses.

I have trained my girls before but was never able to stick with it for extended periods of time. I trained them for about 2 months this year.

I taught them to target and how to spin.

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
My Ekkie does training when he feels like it. Not to mention he isn't exactly treat driven, or reward driven... Some parrots, or even people aren't looking for acceptance, gratification, or aren't competitive. If that's the case. Behavioral training isn't going to result in much of anything. My conure I can train with. My Ekkie just kind of stares at me sometimes. Other times he will participate. Sometimes he will throw something on the floor, and try to train me ha ha ha... Human training!

AnimaliaPrime

Apr 11, 2017
Wisconsin
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure female
I don't do anything formal with my GCC. She's 6 years old--had her since she was 3 months. But even though nothing "formal", she can: wave, give kisses on command, do "Eagle" (stretching wings back) answer some uestions like "what's your name?", do her morning poop on command, in a certain spot and just general dancing and singing and going in her cage nicely and coming when called, etc. All of this was just done as part of our daily routine. I typically use "capturing" as a training technique. Meaning, when I would see her holding one leg up for some reason--I would say "wave" and make a waving gesture at her and eventually it stuck. Same with Egle, every tim I saw her stretching her wings I said Eagle! and gave her a treat. Yea, the treats are uber important. You can see them working out.."why did I just get that treat--what did I do" and they start doing all sorts of things. This only works if you use the "no free lunch" system--no treats without earning it. :)

LEdward

May 4, 2021
Media
I have made several attempts to consistently do it but can’t seem to stick with it.

Now this doesn’t keen my birds are not trained but as of now I am not setting aside a bit of time to set them on a T perch and clicker train.

My birds enjoy doing other things with me like singing songs, dancing, going outside and bathrime!

They are also 18 years old.

Is this bad. I may start up again in the fall but life is a bit crazy now.
I train my two Macaws every morning for about 15 minutes each. We do (1) turn around (spin); (2) "thinking" (placing his/her foot under their chin to look like they are thinking about something; (3) "Big Bird (stretching out their wings); (4) waive (with left foot); (5) shake hands (with right foot); (6) station (stay on perch); and (7) throw a kiss (smooch). Merlin, my Greenwing, is 11 years old and was rescued 15 months ago. He had never flown and had a horrible wing clip. It took about a year for all his feathers to grow back and about three months to teach him how to fly. Now he is very excited to fly back and forth from one training perch to a second one. Note that I train my Harlequin (Harley) while Merlin (Greenwing) is in the same room.

Most Reactions

Latest posts