Amazon friendly biting?

Joe2001

Feb 9, 2018
Hey everyone!

I recently acquired an Amazon parrot from my grandfather who used to breed them. He is 90 now and can't look after this 8 year-old so because I have seen him on multiple visits, thought it would be less stressful for him if I looked after him so he has a familiar face. He seems to be tame, often says hello and will allow me to stroke him through the bars most times, but some times he'll let me stroke him and he'll want to bite my finger. It's probably a stupid thing for me to do, but since he isn't displaying any warning signs and will let me stroke him, I assume he wants to play bite. He'll start to bite softly, then use the end of his beak and puncture my skin often. He has never been handled, so I wanted to start teaching him to step-up soon, but obviously, I want to know that he won't bite. Is there anything I am doing wrong because I seem to have his trust as he'll often put his foot through the bars in order to hold my finger (as a new born baby would). Thanks for listening! :)

Joe

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Please read the sticky "Why I love Amazon's" by "sailboat" our resident Amazon guru. There is a TON of advice about body language,how to tame,diet etc. It's a MUST read for anyone who is owned by an Amazon :D

Welcome to the forum! And NEVER think your asking a dumb question. The only "dunb" question,is a question not asked!

What species is your new companion? does he or she have a name?
And everyone here LOVES pictures lol

Please stick around. There are many folk here with years/decades of experience that'll be more than eager to help you understand your Parrot.

Jim

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
sounds like beaking (exploring with the beak like a human baby does with their mouth) but he's probably never had bite pressure training which is VITAL for any animal. Any time he puts what you deem too much pressure, instantly give a firm "no" (not shouting that can be fun for them) and immediately cease interaction for a moment, completely shun him and walk away. It does sound like you're at the point to slowly reach the hand in with a peace offering (the top treat your zon likes) and see what happens.

Just be aware at some point you will get bitten and it wont in any way be your Zon's fault, quickly adopt the belief of "It's never the fault of the parrot"

Take a look at some of the stickied threads on amazons to give you some more insights

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Sound advice from M'Lord :)

Jim

Most Reactions