Amazon parrot advice.

tam27

Sep 6, 2022
Hello! My mom recently got a 2 year old Amazon parrot. We brought him from a friendly man who had multiple other, different types of parrots. It turned out to be sick, with a fungal infection and wouldn't have long to live if left untreated, we also found out that it had another owner. It was quite shy from the beginning, not eating a lot (which turned out to be because of the disease). my mom called it Ciceron, so that it might speak some day, but it is still quite shy, less with my mom(even comes out of its cage to fly and wander around the room. Im not sure how to help it feel more free, or wether it will just take a lot of time and i shouldnt do anything at all. We parrotsit for my mom sometimes and i wanted to help it out somehow. It tries to sing along songs now, "piano man" is it's favourite at the moment.

Parotteer

Aug 21, 2022
Media
Netherlands
Parrots
Chico - Amazon (born 2021)
Wiggles - cockatiel (born 2018) - missing
Lotje - cockatiel (born 2020)
Potje - cockatiel (born 2020)
R.I.P. 2022 Tjakko - African Grey (born 1973) - Was with me since 2014
Hey there! Welcome to the parrotforums!
Happy to hear you went to the vet and saved Ciceron from that fungal infection and gave him a nice home! I have a one year old Amazon myself. He's not shy at all ;-) Mine follows me around the house whereever I go and wants to do what I do mostly. I gave him a box with toys to destroy and we started target training. (though not the first couple of days) I feel being with him, playing with toys together and the target training helps form a bond. Could that be an idea to do and get closer with your parrot? Is it her only bird? There are a number of very good Youtube channels to learn about things like target training like - birdtricks - parrotwizard.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Give him tme and do not try to rush things. Some parrots like Indian ring necks can take weeks and months to relax and be comfortable in a new home. Amazons generally take less - HOWEVER each parrot is an individual and you should let him fold into his new home at his pace.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Thank your mother for bringing an Amazon into her life and sharing her Amazon with you.

Since it is possible that you are not always at your mothers, it may take a bit longer for Ciceron to warm up to you. Ciceron may like it if you simply sit next to him/her and speak comfortably. We have found that reading is a wonderful way to spend time with a shy Parrot and build a comfort in your being around. At the top of the Amazon Forum are two excellent /highlighted Threads that will provide extensive knowledge in loving and living with Amazons.

Sadly and IMHO, parrotwizard is not a great source as he has a long history of using other individuals 'works' and presenting them as his own with no acknowledgment of the original source. Take care when wandering the Web.

OP
tam27

tam27

Sep 6, 2022
Hey there! Welcome to the parrotforums!
Happy to hear you went to the vet and saved Ciceron from that fungal infection and gave him a nice home! I have a one year old Amazon myself. He's not shy at all ;-) Mine follows me around the house whereever I go and wants to do what I do mostly. I gave him a box with toys to destroy and we started target training. (though not the first couple of days) I feel being with him, playing with toys together and the target training helps form a bond. Could that be an idea to do and get closer with your parrot? Is it her only bird? There are a number of very good Youtube channels to learn about things like target training like - birdtricks - parrotwizard.
Thank you! :)) yes it's her only bird in the house, we have chicken, ducks and a peacock so she has some experience with birds, but different kind. Yes maybe trying to teach some things slowly could be a good experience. :)

OP
tam27

tam27

Sep 6, 2022
Thank your mother for bringing an Amazon into her life and sharing her Amazon with you.

Since it is possible that you are not always at your mothers, it may take a bit longer for Ciceron to warm up to you. Ciceron may like it if you simply sit next to him/her and speak comfortably. We have found that reading is a wonderful way to spend time with a shy Parrot and build a comfort in your being around. At the top of the Amazon Forum are two excellent /highlighted Threads that will provide extensive knowledge in loving and living with Amazons.

Sadly and IMHO, parrotwizard is not a great source as he has a long history of using other individuals 'works' and presenting them as his own with no acknowledgment of the original source. Take care when wandering the Web.
Yes it'll take time for Ciceron to get used to me since im not always there anyway. Reading sounds interesting. I'll try it out with something i wanted to read anyway. :)
thank you :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts