An update on my last post.. (bump update)

indianringnecks

Nov 23, 2022
Saudi Arabia, Dammam
Parrots
3 year old indian ringneck
Hey..
I have noticed that quite a lot of you responded to my last post and they were honestly really helpful so thank you!
But unfortunately, the bump has became even bigger and its color changed from gray to black and i took a picture (that i will attach) and in the picture when you zoom into the bump you can see black and white circles for some reason

i am super worried and anxious about his health, so i will be taking him to an avian vet later on today in a couple of hours. My family members said that there might be worms in his cere and it might be contagious so they said that i am not allowed to let him out of his cage until we find out what is wrong with him and how to treat it.. i really hope its nothing too bad because i really love my roy

Anyway i will be attaching a picture of how his bump looks today

i wish you and your birds a good day
C735516A-80D6-46BD-B86D-50E5281F5381.jpeg
B54E3941-053E-44BF-A650-42A7B8FFAA62.jpeg

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Good call on that! Make sure he is seen by a real Avian Vet, not a vet that sees dogs and cats and only treats birds as an 'exotic'.

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
Good idea to take him in and good luck with the visit! I hope you report back, I'm curious what it will turn out to be!

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Hey..
I have noticed that quite a lot of you responded to my last post and they were honestly really helpful so thank you!
But unfortunately, the bump has became even bigger and its color changed from gray to black and i took a picture (that i will attach) and in the picture when you zoom into the bump you can see black and white circles for some reason

i am super worried and anxious about his health, so i will be taking him to an avian vet later on today in a couple of hours. My family members said that there might be worms in his cere and it might be contagious so they said that i am not allowed to let him out of his cage until we find out what is wrong with him and how to treat it.. i really hope its nothing too bad because i really love my roy

Anyway i will be attaching a picture of how his bump looks today

i wish you and your birds a good dayView attachment 47220View attachment 47219
Looks like new pin feathers are growing in the area. I seriously doubt there are worms in there (yikes!) but definitely time to go to the birdie doctor!

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
Here are photos of my ringneck when he was molting last summer - he looked so awful I tried to make an appointment at an emergency vet - it turned out just to be new feathers all at once in clumps! It was very reassuring to KNOW though especially since he did have an infection before! I thought for sure his infection was worse and his sinuses were exploding! But when I got him in to the vet, his nares were clear and his exam was normal. Fingers crossed your little man also has something that's an easy diagnosis!
PXL_20220730_143550992.jpg

PXL_20220709_134503937.jpg
PXL_20220723_190931078.jpg
PXL_20220724_221006655.jpg
PXL_20220730_143442601~2.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20220724_220927696.jpg
    PXL_20220724_220927696.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 29
  • PXL_20220720_225826803.jpg
    PXL_20220720_225826803.jpg
    241 KB · Views: 34

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Here are photos of my ringneck when he was molting last summer - he looked so awful I tried to make an appointment at an emergency vet - it turned out just to be new feathers all at once in clumps! It was very reassuring to KNOW though especially since he did have an infection before! I thought for sure his infection was worse and his sinuses were exploding! But when I got him in to the vet, his nares were clear and his exam was normal. Fingers crossed your little man also has something that's an easy diagnosis!View attachment 47224

View attachment 47221View attachment 47222View attachment 47227View attachment 47223
Poor thing, he looks so uncomfortable! When my baby budgie Rocky was growing his first set of feathers when he was a few weeks old he looked like a fluffy pincushion! I would scratch his head and neck using a very soft toothbrush (I called it his hairbrush) to help get the sheaths off the pinfeathers for him and he seemed to really enjoy it.

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
Poor thing, he looks so uncomfortable! When my baby budgie Rocky was growing his first set of feathers when he was a few weeks old he looked like a fluffy pincushion! I would scratch his head and neck using a very soft toothbrush (I called it his hairbrush) to help get the sheaths off the pinfeathers for him and he seemed to really enjoy it.
Using a soft toothbrush is a great idea! Thanks for sharing; I'll have to remember that.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Using a soft toothbrush is a great idea! Thanks for sharing; I'll have to remember that.
A Clean soft tooth brush, not a used one.

I think your ringneck is only getting new feathers and you don’t have any thing to worry about. When the feathers first poke out of the skin they are wrapped up in feather sheath and look like a spike. That’s what you’re seeing now. The feathers will emerge fully from the skin and then the sheath will dry up and the whole feather will fluff out. And he will have a new batch of green feathers on his forehead.

(I thought I could draw the emerging feather in this space but I can’t figure it out.)

It looks funny when they get a bunch of new feathers at once, doesn’t it?

OP
indianringnecks

indianringnecks

Nov 23, 2022
Saudi Arabia, Dammam
Parrots
Here are photos of my ringneck when he was molting last summer - he looked so awful I tried to make an appointment at an emergency vet - it turned out just to be new feathers all at once in clumps! It was very reassuring to KNOW though especially since he did have an infection before! I thought for sure his infection was worse and his sinuses were exploding! But when I got him in to the vet, his nares were clear and his exam was normal. Fingers crossed your little man also has something that's an easy diagnosis!View attachment 47224

View attachment 47221View attachment 47222View attachment 47227View attachment 47223
Thanks for sharing, i went to the vet and he told me that roy's feathers just "fell off while itching them"
He gave me two medicine's their like eyedrops but you put them in the birds water. He basically told me that i cant have too much water in the container, and he told me that i should put in 3 drops of the medicine and if you recall i said that there are two medicines there are like 2 boxes one is colored yellow and the other is colored orange he told me to give him each one every day. For example:
day 1: yellow colored box medicine
Day 2: orange colored box medicine
Day 3: yellow colored box medicine
Day 4: orange colored box medicine
And so on tor about 2 weeks (ill attach a picture of the medicine tell me what you think abt it) thanks i wish you and your birds a great day!

Attachments

• 898D0D6C-5BC7-4B35-8AB7-3C49EB27687C.jpeg
    898D0D6C-5BC7-4B35-8AB7-3C49EB27687C.jpeg
    345.6 KB · Views: 33

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Hi. These appear to be generic use mineral or vitamin supplements. I worry that the vet you are using is more of a dog and cat type of vet, instead of one that is a Certified Avian vet. Avian vets receive more and very specific training in the medical care of birds, which have very different physiological make ups then mammals. Avain vets can be hard to find in some areas of the world, and even in the USA, some searching is needed and maybe some driving an extended amount in order to reach one, but well worth the effort.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Hi. These appear to be generic use mineral or vitamin supplements. I worry that the vet you are using is more of a dog and cat type of vet, instead of one that is a Certified Avian vet. Avian vets receive more and very specific training in the medical care of birds, which have very different physiological make ups then mammals. Avain vets can be hard to find in some areas of the world, and even in the USA, some searching is needed and maybe some driving an extended amount in order to reach one, but well worth the effort.
It certainly looks like the vet "just" prescribed vitamin D3 Calcium and a mineral supplement, but I wouldn't assume they're not a real avian vet because of this. When we're worried that our birdies are sick and take them to a vet, its easy to leave dissatisfied when we don't leave with a prescription for something more substantial, like antibiotics, but perhaps they examined this IRN and determined it did not have an infection, making antibiotics unnecessary, or even harmful. Over prescribing of antibiotics causes resistant bacteria to develop making future infections harder to treat. Some vets prescribe antibiotics just to "make sure" or make the bird owner feel it got it's moneys' worth but these are bad reasons to give antibiotics. It would have been easy for this vet to prescribe an unnecessary medication (all vets know about Baytril) but they didn't. Ideally, a culture could determine if there's an infection but a bird's nostrils and skin have lots of naturally occurring harmless bacteria (normal flora) making a culture very difficult to interpret. There's nothing wrong with a vet recommending supplements for a bird, however, I wish this vet didn't refer to the two bottled of supplements as medications, but perhaps they thought the bird really needed them.
in the meantime, get a new soft toothbrush and help your birdie scratch those pinfeathers as they grow in!
Best wishes to this lovely IRN.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
If the bird is on a seed diet as many birds in the Middle East are, vitamin and mineral supplements are appropriate.

But otherwise I believe the new feathers looked funny and upset the owner’s family, but they were not REALLY a problem. Those wormy-looking things were just the spikes of new feathers coming out.

OP
indianringnecks

indianringnecks

Nov 23, 2022
Saudi Arabia, Dammam
Parrots
He is a vet for all sorya of animals, he told us that if his bump doeesnt go away within 10 days we should revisit! And honestly its been 4 days since he started taking his medicine and its been gradually getting better to be completely honest!! And he started playing with me more and getting back to his energetic personality! I will upload another update thread soon and thank you for responding i wish you and your birds a great day!!

OP
indianringnecks

indianringnecks

Nov 23, 2022
Saudi Arabia, Dammam
Parrots
If the bird is on a seed diet as many birds in the Middle East are, vitamin and mineral supplements are appropriate.

But otherwise I believe the new feathers looked funny and upset the owner’s family, but they were not REALLY a problem. Those wormy-looking things were just the spikes of new feathers coming out.
They actually are growing. Apparently these meds are supposed to "make the feathers grow normally and faster" thanks for responding i will uoload an update thread about this! I wish you and your birds a good day!! :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts