Anastasia flew away a day after we got her :(

cardinalMom

Feb 22, 2020
Hello,

I just want to share what happened to us with people who might understand.

My name is Samantha. I am not here too often because my beautiful Ruby Amadeus is a Northern Red Cardinal. We live in Germany and welcomed him into our family February 2020 after finding him at a pet store.

We love him very much and naturally when he began to sing we wanted to find him a mate.

We got incredibly lucky and found a female cardinal that lived only forty minutes away.

We got her last week and it was going ok---to be honest Amadeus was acting quite defensive towards Anastasia. When my husband was cleaning the bird cage she flew away.

We are devestated. My husband has set up cages in the trees in our yard, food and we have been playing male cardinal tones trying to coax her back. We have also shared posts with local bird groups online

Most people just laugh when we tell them what happened, but it's been horrible and not the least bit funny. There have been times this past week where I have been in tears because we saved the money and wanted to find a partner for Amadeus for longest time...just for it to turn out like this.

cardinalmom-albums-amadeus-cardinal-picture23374-anastasia.jpg

cardinalmom-albums-amadeus-cardinal-picture23373-amadeus-anastasia.jpg

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Having had a Amazon fly away many decades ago, I can empathize with how you feel. That is the danger with any flighted bird - one moment of inattention, and off they go. I hope you find her, captive raised birds do not fare well in the wild, they have none of the needed skills. Good luck!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I remember you well, Samantha! The saga of Amadeus is touching and I'm very sorry to hear Samantha escaped. Hopefully your efforts to find her will be successful. Please don't let the heartless taunts of ignorance dissuade you from continuing the search. Seems you are doing the right things to attract Samantha, but check this "sticky" thread for potential tips: http://www.parrotforums.com/lost-found/49129-bring-them-home-tips-locating-lost-bird.html

Best of luck finding Samantha, please keep us updated, or just to vent if helpful.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I'm so sorry, sob.....it is awful. What rotten people to laugh, how cruel!!!!

The absolute love of my life my blue quaker Neptune escaped, North if Jacksonville Florida, its almost been a year sbd every single day I think of him, and pray for his return. Whats worse is hearing people who find someone's parrot and make no attempt to reunite them with their family.....

Put out a shallow bird bath, or better a fountain. The sound if water abd the availability of water might draw her back. And a bird feeder. make posters , this old school water has gotten more response for me, tho they have all been other people's parrots. Keep playing the burd song. It took over an hour of playing parakeet sounds to draw in the lost parakeet. I pray you find her!!@

OP
cardinalMom

cardinalMom

Feb 22, 2020
Thank you very much everyone, I appreciate your kind words and thoughts. My husband has been working very hard to bring Anastasia back. We have called made local vetrinarians and animal shelters aware. My husband has even back walking around local parks playing a male cardinal tone on bluetooth speaker in hopes of finding her.

We have put out a bird bath too.

Amadeus doesn't seem too stressed. He now has a lot of other bird visitors given we have spread seeds and food all over the garden.

Laursea I read about the loss of Neptune---I am so sorry please never give up and I will pray the one day they return to you.

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
I'm so sorry to hear this happened. I have never heard of someone keeping cardinals as pets, but that sure is cool! We have some beautifully red ones come to our bird feeder here in the Midwest.

I once was breeding my cockatiels and sadly the hen passed away while on the eggs. Her mate was devastated for a while after, but since then he's gotten a new mate who he's had a clutch with and is very happy with!

I think maybe it was for the best, as in perhaps she just was not the right mate for Amadeus. Still, I hope she can be found safely. Best of luck!!

WhiteFlight

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 20, 2020
Dallas, Texas
Parrots
Meisha: Umbrella Cockatoo | Female | 03/09/1989 Hatch Date
My beautiful Ruby Amadeus is a Northern Red Cardinal. We live in Germany and welcomed him into our family February 2020 after finding him at a pet store.

We got incredibly lucky and found a female cardinal that lived only forty minutes away.

When my husband was cleaning the bird cage she flew away. We are devastated.
Sorry for your loss. I would imagine their availability in Germany is rather slim.

Many years ago I nursed an adult female cardinal that had been battered in a storm, back to health. Minimizing handling restricted bonding, she was a wild thing. With definitive improvements, I released her.

Most Reactions

Latest posts