Anesthetic- should I be worried?

Jenny.

Jan 30, 2013
West Midlands, UK
Parrots
Green cheek conure & Jardine
Well naturally I am :(. My GCC Evi has been on Doxycycline with no effect so I called the avian vet up and she said they will have to give an anesthetic for chest x-rays. Shes so small and I know the risks involved with anesthetics in people. Am I over thinking? I'm just so worried for her..

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
Although there's risk anytime a bird is put under, the gas they use today is the safest method there is & they normally come out of it with no ill effects.....I Evi will do fine & hope nothing serious is forthcoming.....

KatherineI

Mar 27, 2012
Media
Seattle, WA
Parrots
Loki (GCC) Sugar (Goffins)
It's always risky putting a bird under, but sometimes it is necessary. If nothing else has worked and the Vet believes it to be the best way to determine what is going on in order to help Evi, and you trust this vet, then I would do it. Yes, there's a risk she won't come out, but there's also a chance that finding out what's wrong will allow the vet to treat it and Evi to live a full life.

Good luck! Best of wishes for you both.

OP
Jenny.

Jenny.

Jan 30, 2013
West Midlands, UK
Parrots
Thanks for the replies, I know it is the best thing to determine what is wrong with her and I'm just being selfish thinking of how I feel. She has to go see the vet tomorrow, hopefully we get the problem sorted out..

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
Merlin has been knocked out with that stuff before. Not going to deny, it caused my anxiety but it's nothing to be overly concerned about. There is a small risk (just the same as there is for humans) but she's in the best place for her IF there is something to go wrong.

You're vet is making the best decision for your birdy. I'm sure she'll be fine.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
I had my 14-16 year old bourke (at the time, now 16-18 years old - expected lifespan of 11-15 years) put under for surgery. Not an experience I want to repeat with *her*, but she made it through safely.

a931275b.jpg

My mitred conure has been put under twice for surgery on his beak, however that was prior to me getting him.

I had a light blue male budgie that became sick and we couldn't figure out what he was sick with until it was already too late. He never received anesthesia but an X-Ray was taken of him.

Blue02.jpg

If required, I would do it again, but if the procedure (beak/nail trim, x-ray, physical exam, etc) doesn't necessarily require it, I would try and get it done without it.

I would recommend giving milk thistle to your GCC to help boost the effectiveness of the liver in being able to detoxify the body while you figure out what's going with her. Speak to your avian vet about it.

OP
Jenny.

Jenny.

Jan 30, 2013
West Midlands, UK
Parrots
Aww thanks for sharing the pictures. I took Evi to another avian vet today, she wasn't so keen on the anesthetic idea (thank god). She gave her 2 shots and flushed out her nose for the congestion she has been having, its just a case of her sinuses, not as bad as I was led to believe. I really do feel relieved and happy that we didn't have to go down that route, but understand if it is best for the bird then I would have done it. So for the next 7 days I will be having such a fun time flushing Evi's nares.. Aren't I the lucky one lol :D. Thanks all for your comments :)

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Hopefully, the sinus flushes get rid of the infection in her system! Best of luck, and so happy you found an avian vet you are comfortable with!

Most Reactions